brockpapersizer

Jose Martinez 2018 Outlook

This guy is on fire right now, but definitely seems to be the type of player who is prone to lots of high peaks and low valleys.  

8 minutes ago, Zig Zag said:

This guy is on fire right now, but definitely seems to be the type of player who is prone to lots of high peaks and low valleys.  

The lowest his batting average sunk to this year was .286. Been above 300 for 90 percent of the season.

I dont really know how players adjust their angles to hit the  ball more in the air, but once he started doing that again he’s been really good. He obviously won’t continue the torrid pace, but I disagree about low valleys.

• Like 4

Yup, he's a top 10 hitter in the league going by wRC+. You don't really get there by having particularly low valleys. If any at all. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

The lowest his batting average sunk to this year was .286. Been above 300 for 90 percent of the season.

I dont really know how players adjust their angles to hit the  ball more in the air, but once he started doing that again he’s been really good. He obviously won’t continue the torrid pace, but I disagree about low valleys.

Yeah I should have not said low valleys, I really just meant lack of power.  He does seem to fit the bill of always hitting for at the very least a decent AVG but he has had times in the past where he went on a power drought.

• Thanks 1

I believe he is adjusting his swing plane based on what the pitch is and location.  E.G. I think he is being quick to the ball with a steep swing path to hit it in play/line driving/top spinning especially pitches in the top half of the zone.  Using a slightly upward path to hit the bottom third of the ball will get it in the air more times than not. Backspinning the ball but not dropping the shoulder.

19 minutes ago, rrrrich46 said:

How many degrees of JoMart are we up to?

His stat lines lately have my loins plane elevating.  I can assure you of that.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I hate to say it, but I just traded away this stud. Good luck everyone the rest of the way with El Magnifico, he has served us well to this point! 

1 hour ago, Zig Zag said:

Yeah I should have not said low valleys, I really just meant lack of power.  He does seem to fit the bill of always hitting for at the very least a decent AVG but he has had times in the past where he went on a power drought.

That's certainly been the case so far, so I don't necessarily think you're wrong. However, he is basically in his sophomore year as a major leaguer, its possible hes still making adjustments and we don't know what a full year looks like .

• Like 1

Even though he is 29 I think he has a lot of mileage left in the tank.  He's not played the longer and more grueling MLB schedules over the years and he looks very sprite and enthusiastic.  No chronic injuries that we know of.

Posted (edited)

https://www.mlb.com/cardinals/video/jose-martinezs-solo-homer/c-2020739483?tid=8877482

Here's his 4th homerun from May 8th.

https://www.mlb.com/cardinals/video/martinezs-2-run-smash/c-2144696183?tid=155065792

And here's his homer from last night.

Looks to me like he has adjusted his swing quite a bit. 

...How the hell do you embed a video into a post?:huh:

Edited by Csiebert5
  • Like 2

No shock this guy is creating kids.  How could resist him?

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

3 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

No shock this guy is creating kids.  How could resist him?

It could happen without contact to any woman in the field boxes who’s sitting far too close to that magnificent swing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, Caelum said:

It could happen without contact to any woman in the field boxes who’s sitting far too close to that magnificent swing.

So you are saying his launch angle didn’t create this?

I’ll show myself out.  

• Haha 3

Is he going to be back today ? Or do we have another day or 2 to wait? 

Nevermind, should've checked the tweeeeter before I posted. Heeeeeeeee's back boys. 

Edited by mmcc1029

Just now, mmcc1029 said:

Is he going to be back today ? Or do we have another day or 2 to wait? 

should be in. he maxed his paternity leave

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, bigbluecrew56 said:

Magnifico is back and primed for a big week. Most players coming off paternity list come back running off pure adrenaline. 

Would love to see a report on this 

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

Would love to see a report on this 

Why? It's hyperbole. 

When you start tracking pregnancies to determine lineup decisions, it's time to re-evaluate the amount of energy you're putting into this hobby. 

• Haha 3