brockpapersizer

Jose Martinez 2018 Outlook

Yonder Alonso would  be another one.  Breakout year last year at age 30.

• Like 1

Other whoah breakouts

Whit Merrifield

Chris Taylor - a bit younger, but with longer MLB track record, and posted 4.8 of his 5.0 career WAR in 2017.

• Like 1

Interesting tidbit:

Eddie Magic hasn't even faced many lefties yet which he demolished last year. In fact, I think all his production so far has been off righties. 

• Like 3

A lot of the names being mentioned are in no way comparable to Jose Martinez. 

Jose Martinez is less than 2 years removed from a mediocre AAA season as a 27 year old. He didn't make his major league debut until age 26. His first potential full major league season is coming at age 29 *this year*. This is "late bloomer" on a whole other level. This career arch is super rare (as in it doesn't ever happen -- which just adds to the skepticism). There's no precedent for someone like this succeeding this late -- this is probably the equivalent of "linsanity". 

In any case, i don't think there's much disagreement here. I think what Jose Martinez is doing is exciting and he's an interesting/volatile stock that can go in either direction going forward (really high or crash or fall somewhere in between) where others might feel there's a higher degree of certainty with him succeeding going forward. I put a lot of stock in exit velocity/launch angles and Jose Martinez has been crushing the ball since he became a major league regular last year so there's a lot to like here.

For his sake, it's a great story, and i hope he keeps it up.

Edited by EmbargoLifted
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, EmbargoLifted said:

For his sake, it's a great story, and i hope he keeps it up. For my personal interests, i have no stocks in him in any of my leagues, so i hope he crashes and burns. 

Wow. Okay. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

[ Guys, let's please step back from one member's take on a player and focus on things of interest to other fantasy owners. ]

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Dirtywater97 said:

I think he meant to say "Before his line improves, consider this"

• Haha 2

Even tried stealing a bag but got caught. Hope he doesn't get discouraged. Would have had an elusive run after the Molina home run. The low run count seems to be bad luck at this point. 

1 hour ago, Dirtywater97 said:

To the guy who said his breakout is unprecedented, George Watkins made his MLB debut at age 30 and went on a tear!

on the other hand good ole Jim Bottomley peaked at age 28 and then declined as a fantasy asset (he practically killed me team in ‘31. Bottom dropped out from your power numbers Jimbo, cmon!)

Edited by merlin401
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, EmbargoLifted said:

A lot of the names being mentioned are in no way comparable to Jose Martinez. 

Jose Martinez is less than 2 years removed from a mediocre AAA season as a 27 year old. He didn't make his major league debut until age 26. His first potential full major league season is coming at age 29 *this year*. This is "late bloomer" on a whole other level. This career arch is super rare (as in it doesn't ever happen -- which just adds to the skepticism). There's no precedent for someone like this succeeding this late -- this is probably the equivalent of "linsanity". 

In any case, i don't think there's much disagreement here. I think what Jose Martinez is doing is exciting and he's an interesting/volatile stock that can go in either direction going forward (really high or crash or fall somewhere in between) where others might feel there's a higher degree of certainty with him succeeding going forward. I put a lot of stock in exit velocity/launch angles and Jose Martinez has been crushing the ball since he became a major league regular last year so there's a lot to like here.

For his sake, it's a great story, and i hope he keeps it up.

Jose Bautista was awful and a career minor leaguer until age 29.

Edwin Encarnacion was also similar in that he wasn't completely awful in his mid to late 20's, but didnt perform like the player we know today until also age 29.

I think the players named in this thread are actually pretty spot on.

Edited by roadawg
  • Like 1

He's a lean, mean, hitting machine...with one of the worst batting stances in baseball!  But you cannot argue the results!  Dude is absolutely on fire right now!  I love watching this cat play.  He's got a great attitude!

Hitting in the 3 hole today with Carp out of the lineup.

Arrow keeps pointing up. 

29 minutes ago, treat88 said:

Hitting in the 3 hole today with Carp out of the lineup.

Arrow keeps pointing up. 

This is fantastic. hope he can find a home in that three spot. Maybe Fowler is the one that gets bumped down in the lineup with Pham and Carpenter taking over at 1--2

Edited by bigbluecrew56

Facing a truly crap lefty in a little league park.  Multi HR day or bust!

Edwin Magnifico and Ozzie Albies in a neck and neck race for NL MVP....  :D

Edited by KilloWertz

10 minutes ago, swfcdan said:

Shoutout to fellow CBS podcast listener.

I've had offers for people wanting J Mart over more established bats like Bruce and Brantley. But I just can't do it, too interesting story this and he could quite easily be better than them.

Agreed. It's just more fun to own guys like this.  Guys that you can really root for. Guys that make you look good for drafting.

There's nothing I enjoy more about fantasy than drafting that unknown or under appreciated player and watching than blossom into a legit asset. 

No way I'm moving Magnifico for those guys, even if he implodes it's just more fun holding. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, swfcdan said:

I've had offers for people wanting J Mart over more established bats like Bruce and Brantley. But I just can't do it, too interesting story this and he could quite easily be better than them.

Yessssss, definitely ride the magic. I'd need one hell of a sexy offer to move him right now. 

It's funny the attachment you get to certain guys especially when you were the one in your league to discover them. They're like your sons. 

Edited by DannyMcPot
  • Like 4

18 minutes ago, swfcdan said:

Bruce I might consider.  Zero chance on Brantley.  In fact, I wouldn't drop a single guy on my roster for Brantley.