brockpapersizer

Jose Martinez 2018 Outlook

He has a long leash with me.  He’s been scalding the ball.  Just finding gloves.  If he continues same approach he’ll get hot in no time.  His K:BB is very good, hard hit rates fantastic.  Nothing tells me this guy sucks or should he cut to try and chase down a hot streak elsewhere.  It will come back around.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I think owners of Martinez, such as myself, should accept the reality that he probably won't hit much more than 20 home runs. His profile is very similar to Eric Hosmer's -- great average, good runs, and RBI's, mediocre power, and a handful of steals. That is still a valuable player and a bargain for where he was drafted.

By every Statcast measure, he has been a bit unlucky. I expect better results in the near future.

Well he's 92nd in MLB with an average EV of 90.5 MPH. Nothing to write home about there.

His average exit velo on FB/LD is 99th in MLB. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, absknicks said:

Well he's 92nd in MLB with an average EV of 90.5 MPH. Nothing to write home about there.

His average exit velo on FB/LD is 99th in MLB. 

Little deceiving considering the minimum batted ball events. If you search for avg exit velo with a minimum of 80 events around the league, he ranks 36th and 38th in those stats you cited respectively. Change it to minimum of 90 events and he ranks 19th and 27th. 

I think he ranked 9th last year in avg exit velo with 91.3 mph. This year he's averaging 90.5

In 100 minimum events he ranks 9th overall 

Edited by DannyMcPot
  • Like 6

Since I'm perusing statcast now.....

Jose Martinez league ranks (min 100 PAs)

- 10th overall in xwOBA

- 3rd overall in expected batting average

- 17th overall in expected slugging %

- 16th overall with 44 batted balls at 95+mph (minimum 100 bb events) 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, absknicks said:

Freddie Freeman exit velocity is even worse, 89.87 mph.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DannyMcPot said:

Since I'm perusing statcast now.....

Jose Martinez league ranks (min 100 PAs)

- 10th overall in xwOBA

- 3rd overall in expected batting average

- 17th overall in expected slugging %

- 16th overall with 44 batted balls at 95+mph (minimum 100 bb events) 

16th out of 45 players who have 100 batted ball events. Talk about deceiving. 

Edited by absknicks

So top-third, about?

• Like 2

Just now, BMcP said:

So top-third, about?

Most of the guys with 100 batted ball events are leadoff hitter types who don't strike out a lot.

Yeah, but what he wrote wasn’t “deceiving.”  It was just a fact.  It is fair to point out what portion of current MLB players that applies to, though.

Plus, that group includes plenty of 2-3-hole hitters.  In fact, it looks like the majority are not set lead-off hitters.

Edited by BMcP
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Yeah, but what he wrote wasn’t “deceiving.”  It was just a fact.  It is fair to point out what portion of current MLB players that applies to, though.

Plus, that group includes plenty of 2-3-hole hitters.

To list him as 16th and not mention it's out of 45 guys who are mostly light-hitting leadoff/slap hitters is deceiving in my book. It's cool if you disagree. 

2 minutes ago, absknicks said:

To list him as 16th and not mention it's out of 45 guys who are mostly light-hitting leadoff/slap hitters is deceiving in my book. It's cool if you disagree. 

Check the list - if you can honestly tell me that most of those 45 are “slap” hitters, I will concede the point.

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/statcast_leaderboard?year=2018&abs=100&player_type=resp_batter_id

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Check the list - if you can honestly tell me that most of those 45 are “slap” hitters, I will concede the point.

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/statcast_leaderboard?year=2018&abs=100&player_type=resp_batter_id

I counted 6 Jose’s on the list. 7 if you count Votto ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

10 minutes ago, absknicks said:

I have to admire the irony of this statement.

I looked at the list.  To classify these 45 guys as "mostly light hitting leadoff/slap hitters" might not even be deception as it is just wrong, but maybe it's deception too. I dont know.

I'll give you Peraza, Dee Gordon, and Alcides Escobar.  After that, sure throw in Segura and Ender.  Maybe you can make the case for a few more. Certainly not 23. 

Edited by brockpapersizer
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Lol that list is a who's who of great hitters. Some serious bias to spin it as slap hitting lead off types.

I'm also giving this guy lots of leash, peripherals are great, even if he only pops 20 he's a valuable CI type for many league types. Easy hold.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, absknicks said:

16th out of 45 players who have 100 batted ball events. Talk about deceiving. 

Not sure how you felt that stat was deceiving considering I gave the exact sample size (which you neglected to do while using his 99th ranking as a negative assessment of his exit velo.) When in reality he's pretty much right on the mark from last year.

• Like 1

His value depends on the type of league. In a 8 teamer, were he was picked out of FA pool after draft. While he was hot he was a steal. He's not worth rostering with more than 15 days of just not doing anything... It won't help a team with a 280 avg and low counting stats when you have FA like Adams to name one raking, in a better lineup and producing # intended by a 1B/OF... Even if it's a platoon. Just be tactical.

in a deep league I would hold. It's not like he's batting 170.

29 minutes ago, Nightrain said:

His value depends on the type of league. In a 8 teamer, were he was picked out of FA pool after draft. While he was hot he was a steal. He's not worth rostering with more than 15 days of just not doing anything... It won't help a team with a 280 avg and low counting stats when you have FA like Adams to name one raking, in a better lineup and producing # intended by a 1B/OF... Even if it's a platoon. Just be tactical.

in a deep league I would hold. It's not like he's batting 170.

I genuinely have no problem with anyone playing in an 8 team league. I just don't see why you need much analysis though,  just cut him for someone who is hot and cut them when they cool down for someone who is hot. 

Too many threads have guys just announcing their cuts like they are bums. 

I don't think you'll even miss Magnifico in 10 teamers because the pool is so deep. There's just no real consequence to messing that up if he heats up.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

I genuinely have no problem with anyone playing in an 8 team league. I just don't see why you need much analysis though,  just cut him for someone who is hot and cut them when they cool down for someone who is hot. 

I don't think you'll even miss Magnifico in 10 teamers because the pool is so deep. There's just no real consequence to messing that up if he heats up.

But the thing is that ppl shouldn't complain in any size league. In a shallow league he was free, and in a deep league he was late rounds...cut in shallow leagues and stick with him in your bench in deep leagues until it's unbereable his performance.

23 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

"Dropped this bum" posts are lame, but the expectation is that people should be aware enough of their formats to make those determinations themselves.  If deep-leaguers are allowed to post when they dropped a guy, then so are shallow-leaguers.

2 minutes ago, Nightrain said:

But the thing is that ppl shouldn't complain in any size league.

People are going to complain, for good reasons and for bad ones.  We wish people would use the Vent & Rant thread instead, but a lot of people just like to publicly announce that they're giving up on a player.  Just let it go and focus your own commentary on the players in question, not what other users are saying/doing.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

There we go. Boomstick to straight away center.

Edited by Helms