brockpapersizer

Jose Martinez 2018 Outlook

They key pitch was earlier in the at bat, he awkwardly reached to spoil a slider going down and away to prolong the at bat and avoid a strikeout. The homer was a nice line shot to dead center on a fastball up, a pretty bad pitch by Odorizzi. Someone with worse contact skills would have never gotten there though

• Like 1

Still horrendous at 1b. I swear every game I watch he does something incredibly dumb or costly. Missed a line drive right at him that directly cost two runs 

16 minutes ago, merlin401 said:

Still horrendous at 1b. I swear every game I watch he does something incredibly dumb or costly. Missed a line drive right at him that directly cost two runs 

My league only counts batting stats.  So 1-1 with a solo shot and a walk works for me today.

• Haha 1

People act as if leagues that count errors simply don’t exist or something.

Nice to see... legit bomb to dead center.

Btw sorry for reacting that way yesterday, @DannyMcPot. I shouldn't have jumped down your throat like that.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, BMcP said:

My team has the most errors in my points league.  Nothing crazy, but minus ones add up.....

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, absknicks said:

Nice to see... legit bomb to dead center.

Btw sorry for reacting that way yesterday, @DannyMcPot. I shouldn't have jumped down your throat like that.

Oh it's all good my man. Wasn't really offended or anything but appreciate the comment. I know it gets hot in the Magnifico thread. 

Regarding his fielding, he's a butcher but as long as he hits he will be fine. There were two other errors in the game as well so the whole team was pretty sloppy today. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BMcP said:

Or that really poor fielding might cost a player ABs at some point.

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, 89Topps said:

Or that really poor fielding might cost a player ABs at some point.

Right - given their current logjam of IFs, combined with his lack of veteran status, his defense is very relevant for fantasy purposes.

10 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Right - given their current logjam of IFs, combined with his lack of veteran status, his defense is very relevant for fantasy purposes.

his OPS is almost 300 points higher than Carpenter. I don't see a way he sits for bad defense. If Gyorko needs a regular spot, he's taking Carpenters, but he's probably going to be the util until injury.  There are no other infielders that demand at bats.

2 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

his OPS is almost 300 points higher than Carpenter. I don't see a way he sits for bad defense. If Gyorko needs a regular spot, he's taking Carpenters, but he's probably going to be the util until injury.  There are no other infielders that demand at bats.

Right - I understand the current OPS disparity.  Losing PT due to continuing atrocious defense is premised on his bat cooling off.

6 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Losing PT due to continuing atrocious defense is premised on his bat cooling off.

So we have nothing to worry about B)

Edited by Slatykamora
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Right - I understand the current OPS disparity.  Losing PT due to continuing atrocious defense is premised on his bat cooling off.

He's been the 2nd best hitter on the team this year after Pham.  You're looking at the bat having to cool off significantly AND someone stepping it up.  I'm not saying it isn't possible, but it doesn't seem remotely close at the moment.

• Like 1

I agree - it isn’t an imminent concern.  It only becomes a concern if his recent slump were to continue.

15 hours ago, BMcP said:

And/or Carpenter heating up.

On 5/8/2018 at 5:32 PM, BMcP said:

It's also not completely out of the question that he might actually hurt himself with the horrendous way he "plays" 1B. 

Hopefully he can be mildly competent at 1B so we don't have to worry about that at all anymore.

On 5/9/2018 at 10:27 AM, 89Topps said:

And/or Carpenter heating up.

Carpenter's nowhere near heating up.  He's been terrible.  Am I missing something?

41 minutes ago, MrBrown said:

Carpenter's nowhere near heating up.  He's been terrible.  Am I missing something?

He's been on the bench the last 3 days not hurting owners. Just as good as heating up

• Haha 1

On 5/8/2018 at 1:42 PM, BMcP said:

They shouldn't exist.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Waker said:

Anyone have much confidence for the future or is this about what to expect ROS?

I've already dumped him for Ryon Healy for quite some time.

The production doesn't match the hype. There are a few guys in this thread who cannot accept that fact. I drafted him and am still holding him in all my leagues, so I'm not just some hater. But with disappointment I acknowledge that getting him at around the 200-mark in the draft was not the boon I thought it was. Because that's basically the type of production you're getting from Edwin Magnifico. Doesn't mean he sucks, just means he is merely a fringe roster-worthy player in standard leagues without a corner infielder.

• Like 1