brockpapersizer

Jose Martinez 2018 Outlook

His K:BB has been nearly 1:1 all year.  Even at his worst he was .290 with .800 ops.  He was literally this small hot streak away from shooting back up rankings.  Put things in perspective sometimes when results aren’t going 100% your way.  He’s had competitive at bats all season.  He went through some unlucky phases recently.  If he continues approach he’ll easily eclipse .300 this year.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, DannyMcPot said:

Basically doubled his ranking in my league in three days. He has absolutely brolic games when he's hot. If something clicks in this guy, look tf out because... 

Brolic.  Never heard that before.  I like it.

I've been trying to trade him with no takers.  Glad I've had him in my lineup the last few days.

The RBIs are good, OPS hopefully stays in the 8s.  I like the Hosmer comp from a fantasy standpoint.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 89Topps said:

Brolic.  Never heard that before.  I like it.

I've been trying to trade him with no takers.  Glad I've had him in my lineup the last few days.

The RBIs are good, OPS hopefully stays in the 8s.  I like the Hosmer comp from a fantasy standpoint.

Haha there's a little Brooklyn NY for ya. 

But yea, I imagine a lot of guys dumped or traded him recently. It's only May guys! Magnifico's about to flash some upside. 

Hilarious that on Thursday he was ranked in the 170's in my Yahoo leagues, and on Friday he was in the 90's. Nice 80 spot jump from 1 game

3 hours ago, cs3 said:

Hilarious that on Thursday he was ranked in the 170's in my Yahoo leagues, and on Friday he was in the 90's. Nice 80 spot jump from 1 game

Yup, this is also a good lesson in patience in fantasy baseball in general. All those traditionally reliable players who have been mediocre/bad this early in the season are literally a few big games away from moving up the rankings significantly and putting themselves right back in line with their pre season projections.

Edited by EmbargoLifted

On 5/16/2018 at 3:02 PM, WahooManiac said:

I usually don't go to the rater this early I  a season.  A few stats either way is a huge jump

7 hours ago, cs3 said:

This.  

The recent praise and salivating over his offensive prowess is great and all, but some attention needs to be turned to his absolutely terrible play at 1B. 

Before anyone comes at me with the "this is fantasy baseball, not real baseball" speech, I realize that. But eventually if Jose continues with his poor defensive play (and I mean there have been some REAL doozies), the club is going to have to consider some options and just how much they can tolerate in order to keep his bat in the lineup all of the time. If he doesn't make some progress or corrections, he may find himself with additional days of "rest." And that could in fact impact fantasy. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, bank said:

The recent praise and salivating over his offensive prowess is great and all, but some attention needs to be turned to his absolutely terrible play at 1B. 

Before anyone comes at me with the "this is fantasy baseball, not real baseball" speech, I realize that. But eventually if Jose continues with his poor defensive play (and I mean there have been some REAL doozies), the club is going to have to consider some options and just how much they can tolerate in order to keep his bat in the lineup all of the time. If he doesn't make some progress or corrections, he may find himself with additional days of "rest." And that could in fact impact fantasy. 

Good point.  This is where the Hosmer comp dies.  Currently do they have many other options tho?   And as bad as his defense is,  it is only 1B. That flaw can be out hit

44 minutes ago, bank said:

They bat him 3rd in the lineup, i.e. they consider him an integral part of their hitting.   He's not going anywhere as long as he hits.

44 minutes ago, bank said:

There is absolutely no way they can not afford to have his bat in the lineup. Pham and JMart are literally the only two players hitting worth a damn in that entire lineup. Yes the defense has been atrocious but he’s not going to be getting any additional “rest days” anytime soon trust me.

1 hour ago, bank said:

True, but he's one of the only guys hitting on that roster. If he were on an AL team, he'd probably be DHing by now. As it stands, they're keeping him at first and hoping he doesn't screw up too much. Let's be honest, there's a reason very few first basemen are called great fielders compared to other positions. As long as he's worth more games with the bat than he costs with the glove he'll be in the lineup.

This dude has over .300 BA, over .370 OBP, and over .850 OPS. Nobody in deeper keeper/dynasty leagues is complaining.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, WahooManiac said:

He steals bases too?  Solid

It was a home steal where they had ozuna steal 2nd, Jose got actually stuck in the middle but the 3b dropped the pick-off. I was surprised they gave him the SB but I'll take it

Edited by pbjfb
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, WahooManiac said:

He steals bases too?  Solid

He stole HOME.  That was...unexpected.

Sitting out for the 2nd time this week. He has had a rough couple of weeks. 

At what point are people in deeper leagues looking to move on? I'm in a 15-teamer and have really started to consider it. 5 home runs from a first baseman 2 months into the season is pretty putrid. And instead of getting better his GB% has actually continued to climb throughout the season. It's now at 50.6%. His Launch Angle is 6.0 degrees. Last season it was 10.6. So all the trends are pointing to more grounders in the near future.

If you remember last season a lot of the reason he attracted attention to begin with was because he was putting up some tremendous exit velocity numbers. This year his average exit velocity is down slightly and his peak velocity down as well. 

He started the day ranked 168th in standard 5x5 so it hasn't been a disaster but at the same time he does seem to be more of JAG than the guy a lot of us got excited about coming into the season. 

• Like 1

He's definitely getting his JAG on right now. Here's an interesting article on him about purposely lowering his LA.

https://www.vivaelbirdos.com/2018/5/17/17353272/jose-martinez-getting-better-batting-launch-angle-contact

Not good news for his fantasy outlook if you ask me.

For the 119 players who qualify, Martinez's xwOBA still ranks 15th in the league. His expected batting avg is a full .30 points higher and the difference in his expected slugging to where it is now ranks as the 11th highest in the league. He's a weird profile to figure out. I'm still hanging on cause I want to believe and there's not really anyone with his upside on my waivers. Jury's still out if he even has that upside though. 

• Like 1

Over the Cardinals last 14 games, coming into tonight's game, Martinez hit .204/.259/.265 with a 45 wRC+ across 54 PAs.

Two errors, one on the SS and 3B tonight, but both were quite obviously Martinez's fault. He's probably earned himself some slack, but man he's not doing himself any favors lately.

• Like 1

He's by far the worst fielding 1B I've ever seen, backed up by all stats.

The first play tonight where he came off the base on the Carpenter throw... I was shocked. I have no idea what he was doing.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Gumbo_Ghost said:

The first play tonight where he came off the base on the Carpenter throw... I was shocked. I have no idea what he was doing.

Same here. He is just so antsy when he plays. Too bad there isn't room in the OF for him. Didn't seem too bad out there last year.

7 minutes ago, Gumbo_Ghost said:

I think it was an overcompensation for the times he's let balls sail over his head. So instead of just waiting on the ball and stretching for it, he jumped the gun and came off the bag. 

Just really awful awareness.