brockpapersizer

Jose Martinez 2018 Outlook

On pace for less than 15 HRs and obviously 0 SBs. He's a good hitter, but borderline useless in fantasy.

3 minutes ago, smeeze said:

On pace for less than 15 HRs and obviously 0 SBs. He's a good hitter, but borderline useless in fantasy.

Ranked 125th in my league. He's pretty steady and doesn't really hurt you anywhere. 

2 minutes ago, peelpub94 said:

Ranked 125th in my league. He's pretty steady and doesn't really hurt you anywhere. 

I guess he's fine if you're looking for an AVG/OBP anchor for your team, but the lack of power for a 1B/OF type is fringey imo. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, smeeze said:

I guess he's fine if you're looking for an AVG/OBP anchor for your team, but the lack of power for a 1B/OF type is fringey imo. 

Depending on format depth,  he's probably not your starting 1b. Not he's a fine util guy even in shallow leagues.  And i can see him at 1b in deeper leagues.  Offensively,  he still compares to a Hosmer in value, whatever that means in your league

48 minutes ago, smeeze said:

(!) perhaps you missed his Jackie Robinson-esque dash for home!

in my league he is ranked #93... never even thought about complaining about him. (Why’d you pick today anyway? He did have a mini slump but he is 5-7 last two days)

2 minutes ago, merlin401 said:

(!) perhaps you missed his Jackie Robinson-esque dash for home!

in my league he is ranked #93... never even thought about complaining about him. (Why’d you pick today anyway? He did have a mini slump but he is 5-7 last two days)

Yes, my mistake. Forgot about his 1 bag!!

I guess I'm complaining because he's a 6'-6", 215 lb every day 1st baseman who is currently tied for 159th in the MLB in homeruns with 5. Where is the power???

58 minutes ago, smeeze said:

Hes been playing banged up first few months of the season. People don’t realize because he hasn’t missed time, but he said early on how he had multiple nagging injuries. Hopefully the power shows up as he gets healthier, but I’m not complaining about what I’ve gotten from him. He’s done more than enough to create a profit for me.

6 minutes ago, smeeze said:

I guess I'm complaining because he's a 6'-6", 215 lb every day 1st baseman who is currently tied for 159th in the MLB in homeruns with 5. Where is the power???

Might not be coming. Most homers he ever hit in a full season in all his years in the minors was 16.  I think the 14 in half a season teased some people.  I think he is a .290 with 15-20 Home run type guy.  I can easily see a league where that is tough to own and a league where getting that guy for next to nothing is a huge bargain (like mine where he has been my one and only 1b all year)

• Like 2

Looking at the player rater. Number 13 on the year.  11 when you take out gallo and posey who are probably playing at other positions in fantasy. Seems like 1b is just very down in general unless you got Freeman. Big reason I waited on 1b in redraft is because of guys like Martinez. The position is pretty deep and since there are generally no steals available at first, the replacement level for the position is pretty good, especially when you consider guys who are getting everyday ab at first are usually there because they are decent offensive  options.

Martinez has benefitted in his player rater ranking because he hasn't missed many games. I don't think he's going to be a huge power guy, but I don't think it's impossible the home runs tick up with warmer weather. 

• Like 3

Jose “The Jet” Martinez did steal home this season, and he does have 2 CS.  This big body can move to the tune of a 2-3 SB season.  He’s still over .300, his ops is still over .820.  Power hasn’t been as good as hoped but if he keeps this hitting profile up he should be worth using in most leagues.  These type of guys are good at rounding out the last few spots on your team due to the fact they don’t kill you and often don’t slump too hard.

3 hours ago, smeeze said:

If you drafted him in the last round, or more likely picked him up off waivers, and expected some huge power numbers and a top 12 caliber starting 1B, then thats just poor judgement by you. Why would you expect a fiy everyone got basically for free to provide any more than he's given you??

Edited by cs3

4 hours ago, smeeze said:

Kind of reminding me of a current day David Segui offensively.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, cs3 said:

If you drafted him in the last round, or more likely picked him up off waivers, and expected some huge power numbers and a top 12 caliber starting 1B, then thats just poor judgement by you. Why would you expect a fiy everyone got basically for free to provide any more than he's given you??

I don't know how his acquisition cost relates to his mystifying lack of power.

You know that size and stature does not equal power, right?

• Like 1

Just now, cs3 said:

It sure helps. I'm just asking if folks are sticking with a CI/OF with minimal power and 0 speed. Obviously it's going to be league dependent, but are you happy with his production regardless of his acquisition cost? 

2 minutes ago, cs3 said:

Groot looks like he has the body for power. He obviously doesn't seem to have it, but it's hard to blame anyone for looking at the guy and think they'd get some dingers.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, 89Topps said:

Such an out of left field (yet accurate) comparison.  How many people in the last decade have even had the name of David Segui cross their brains for any reason? I bet not many!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, smeeze said:

But 33 RBI's with a .306 BA doesn't have room in your lineup?

1 hour ago, 89Topps said:

A right handed John Olerud. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, merlin401 said:

Such an out of left field (yet accurate) comparison.  How many people in the last decade have even had the name of David Segui cross their brains for any reason? I bet not many!

Greg Brock occupies a lot of my daydreaming.

I feel like his steady Avg. makes up for some other guys that are slumping or underperforming in that category. I may be looking at him through roto goggles, admittedly. But he’s definitely useful.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cs3 said:

Well he’s been a top 12 1b to date excluding gallo and posey and speaking in at least leagues where you need 20 games to qualify. 

So it seems like a decent call so far. But I agree with the notion you shouldn’t expect top production out of late picks or adds, they were there for a reason.