brockpapersizer

Jose Martinez 2018 Outlook

I like how he adjusted his swing on the HR for 35°.  Man can adjust on the fly.

He seems to get removed often late in games with a lead. He's still a major defensive liability.

2 minutes ago, msuna said:

anyone know why he was removed?

No injury I can find on Twitter.  Defensive purposes perhaps?  I did see this :(

The Cardinals announce to the press box that Jose Martinez's steal of home on May 22nd vs. Royals has been revoked. Moose gets an error, and Martinez is taken out of the history books.

3 minutes ago, msuna said:

anyone know why he was removed?

They put Jedd at 3B and moved Carp to 1B. Unless they say something else, I’d assume it was just a defensive move in a close game because Martinez is absolutely worthless in the field. 

Actually worthless is being too kind because a worthless fielder might just be a neutral lump on the field. He’s actually an abomination that hurts the team. If he gets subbed out of games late, you should probably assume that’s why. 

1 hour ago, brockpapersizer said:

Well he’s been a top 12 1b to date excluding gallo and posey

Not in my leagues. In most of mine hes in the #20-23 range for 1B rankings. And those leagues are 6x6 so SB are devalued compared to 5x5.

Not that I'm complaining. I think hes been great for what I paid for him.

24 minutes ago, cs3 said:

Not in my leagues. In most of mine hes in the #20-23 range for 1B rankings. And those leagues are 6x6 so SB are devalued compared to 5x5.

Not that I'm complaining. I think hes been great for what I paid for him.

Not sure what rankings you are using then since he’s 12 in 5x5 which is also standard scoring. In my Ottoneu league he’s doing quite well averaging about 6 points per game.

im assuming it’s probably a league where a lot more people qualify at first or something.

Edited by brockpapersizer

3 hours ago, Code of Hammurabi said:

A right handed John Olerud. 

Maybe in Fantasy but he is certainly nothing like Olerud who was so quiet and smooth both as a fielder and as a hitter. He had a lovely smooth swing.  Martinez is as loud and gangly as Olerud appeared before you actually watched him play!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

Not sure what rankings you are using then since he’s 12 in 5x5 which is also standard scoring. In my Ottoneu league he’s doing quite well averaging about 6 points per game.

im assuming it’s probably a league where a lot more people qualify at first or something.

Its on Yahoo.

These are all league that count some form of OBP/OPS/TB/SLG so not necessarily "standard 5x5" but pretty normal setups for people on this board

mt6uWJM.png

Edited by cs3

5 hours ago, merlin401 said:

Maybe in Fantasy but he is certainly nothing like Olerud who was so quiet and smooth both as a fielder and as a hitter. He had a lovely smooth swing.  Martinez is as loud and gangly as Olerud appeared before you actually watched him play!

Loved watching Olerud play.  He’s the big fundamentals of MLB.  Could hit to all fields, so smooth in field, and even wore the hard hat to work.  Hell of a guy too met him a handful times.  

• Like 1

I know. His true value is likely higher.

But that just further validates my original point (that I'm sure you agree with), which is that nobody should be complaining about Martinez' production so far, power numbers or otherwise. He's given a pretty solid return on a very minimal investment.

Edited by cs3
  • Like 1

Martinez ranks #11 in points only format.  Eligibility is slightly stricter than standard, 20 G to carry forward, 1- G in season eligibility (batters).  I am more than happy with that for where I drafted him (#142, probably higher than ADP).

Martinez ranks 10th in Ottoneu scoring for 1b, with eligibility only need 8 or 10 games from previous season I believe (100 AB qualifier)  Ottoeneu scoring is based off Woba for hitters. 

Seems to be a pretty good hitter.

HE HEARD YOU TALKING SMACK

MAGNIFIIIIIIIIIIIICO

oppo taco

Edited by brockpapersizer
  • Like 4

As soon as I question his lack of power he goes out and hits dongs on back to back days. I’m happy to be wrong, lol. Keep making me look stupid, JoMart.

1 minute ago, smeeze said:

As soon as I question his lack of power he goes out and hits dongs on back to back days. I’m happy to be wrong, lol. Keep making me look stupid, JoMart.

I'm pretty sure everyone in the thread was starting to doubt the power. I'm not convinced yet but currently filled with joy. 

Dear Magnifico,

I am sorry I benched you this week. I won’t let it happen again. Please save some for next week.

- Meh

8 minutes ago, DannyMcPot said:

I'm pretty sure everyone in the thread was starting to doubt the power. I'm not convinced yet but currently filled with joy. 

I mean, it's his 7th HR on the year, and the Cards 61st game.  That's on pace for 18/19.  

6 minutes ago, 89Topps said:

I mean, it's his 7th HR on the year, and the Cards 61st game.  That's on pace for 18/19.  

I meant power as in possible upside of 30. I think we can bank on around 20 for the year. 

El Magnifico Cafecito!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1