brockpapersizer

Jose Martinez 2018 Outlook

Oh he only averages 6 degrees upon launch . . . hmmmm did he not adjust on the fly with a good batter's eye on these last 3 HR????

Edited by STLSU
HR

Man, I need to keep it coming.  At least for the next couple days, then you guys are on your own.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Mr. magnifico, i come crawling back with head lowered in shame. Please forgive me???

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

It’s funny this thread is so long because Martinez is the easiest guy to have. He plays virtually every game and hits all pitching. Maybe try not to think too much on this one.

6 minutes ago, jagtrader said:

It’s funny this thread is so long because Martinez is the easiest guy to have. He plays virtually every game and hits all pitching. Maybe try not to think too much on this one.

Yeah I guess. He was an avg/obp  rbi guy only though. If he does find his power stroke he is definitely worthy. He was on a 15 hr pace before the last two games though. 

1 hour ago, 2ndCitySox said:

Yeah I guess. He was an avg/obp  rbi guy only though. If he does find his power stroke he is definitely worthy. He was on a 15 hr pace before the last two games though. 

Well, sure, but there was never any reason to expect him to be a big homer guy. He plays in a brutal park. If he hits 20 in addition to everything else, you celebrate like you stole something.

• Like 1

Seems like they don't value his bat enough always taking him out at the end of close games

19 minutes ago, pbjfb said:

Seems like they don't value his bat enough always taking him out at the end of close games

Not really, it's his defense that is terrible. They feel like his defense can cost them games in the latter innings.

1 minute ago, Picard56 said:

Not really, it's his defense that is terrible. They feel like his defense can cost them games in the latter innings.

I know, but at the same time losing the bat in the lineup will cost them games by missing out on the offense he provides, so they're afraid of his defense more than they value his bat

Just now, pbjfb said:

I know, but at the same time losing the bat in the lineup will cost them games by missing out on the offense he provides, so they're afraid of his defense more than they value his bat

They wouldn't bat him 3rd in the lineup if they didn't value his bat. It's only the defense, or lack thereof.

29 minutes ago, pbjfb said:

His spot in the order only came up Bc they went to extra innings. 

23 minutes ago, pbjfb said:

How much should they be valuing his bat? 

He's a .311/.379/.472, 135 wRC+ hitter that's somehow only worth 0.8 WAR. If he was even remotely adequate at defense, that number would be way higher, and he'd stay in close games. That's not the case though, because he's horrible.

1 minute ago, pbjfb said:

No it won't. 

Moving him out of the lineup typically gets them Gyorko back at 3B, and Carpenter back onto 1B which is an overall positive move with only a minor downgrade offensively for a major upgrade defensively. 

His bat is good, maybe even great, but the Cardinals should not be throwing the games for it.

All of a sudden this guy is a home run machine... obviously the Reds' atrocious pitching is helping with that, but it'll be interesting to see if he's trying to make a meaningful change by hitting more flyballs or if this is just random variance. 

• Like 1

If only he knew how to launch HR . . . how good could he be statistical analysts?

6 minutes ago, bigbluecrew56 said:

He definitely made an adjustment to his swing to get more lift. Loving the results

It's weird because last year he adjusted for lift, and then he changed back this year at the start of the season, and then changed again now. I don't know what Mabry is good for, but it can't be much.

4 minutes ago, Philoumenos said:

It's weird because last year he adjusted for lift, and then he changed back this year at the start of the season, and then changed again now. I don't know what Mabry is good for, but it can't be much.

I mean look at the obvious upper cut on this swing here on his second homer last night. Today's homer was a 98 mph outside fastball that went out right center like a laser.

Edited by bigbluecrew56

[ Play-by-play commentary needs to go in the game day thread, guys. ]