brockpapersizer

Jose Martinez 2018 Outlook

39 minutes ago, turner46 said:

I wish I knew this list yesterday ?. Oh well I can live with sitting him vs Kluber in a game that was delayed to start wirh a risk of postponement. Loving the return on investment and it was mainly because of his passionate supporters in this thread. Thanks!!! 

I don't love to toggle hitters but if you had a good replacement I don't fault you for sitting someone vs kluber, especially with weather issues 

• Thanks 1

CBS update tonight says Cards are going to start playing him in the OF here soon?  That should be instant entertainment.

Edited by Cmilne23

11 hours ago, Cmilne23 said:

CBS update tonight says Cards are going to start playing him in the OF here soon?  That should be instant entertainment.

I think the Cards are getting close to making a deal for Moustakes. Carpenter probably goes back to first with Martinez taking over in RF.

Is anyone at all concerned with him changing positions?  By all accounts he's a butcher at 1B, and a butcher in the OF, so defensively it's a wash, but will the change cut into his playing time at all?

2nd day off in last 4.  Better getting going soon or PT could start becoming less frequent.

4 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

2nd day off in last 4.  Better getting going soon or PT could start becoming less frequent.

This is where defense can affect/hurt a player in fantasy. A team's patience with the bat can sometimes be tied to the glove. 

• Like 1

Benched again tonight.  If this continues into next week then he wont be worth owning.  It was a good run though.

This is crashing and burning at an alarming rate. As long as Carpenter and Gyorko are the 1B/3B combo he's going to have trouble finding starts.

Probably will be a hot hand riding situation, wasn’t he suppose to play some OF though?  If it makes anyone feel any better they do have 2 in an AL Park next week so he should definitely start those!  An American League team should be picking this guy up.  He’d be a fantastic DH.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Jeez, I never watch the cards but i was thinking- isn't this guy pretty much the best bat on this team, or close to it? Man, he must really be awful.  

1 minute ago, Stubudd said:

Jeez, I never watch the cards but i was thinking- isn't this guy pretty much the best bat on this team, or close to it? Man, he must really be awful.  

He very literally might be among the worst defenders in baseball history. Still think he forces his way back into the near-everyday lineup.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Stubudd said:

David Ortiz has better footwork at 1B.

• Like 2

On 7/1/2018 at 1:07 PM, bigbluecrew56 said:

I think the Cards are getting close to making a deal for Moustakes. Carpenter probably goes back to first with Martinez taking over in RF.

I agree but for Machado.  Martinez footwork and prior knee issue may or may not play in right on a full time basis.  It will take a while to see improvement if it is coming.  I see a high likelihood of El Cafecito Magnifico in a deal if it is for Machado.

https://redbirdrants.com/2018/07/06/st-louis-cardinals-leaders-machado/

Edited by STLSU
  • Like 2

So what's the deal with JMart now? He's a part timer? WTF? Who sits their best hitter? 

In a weekly league with no bench bats this ain't good. 

Any local insight here? Passing fad by Matheny?

Too many mouths to feed and when it comes to defense he is world class at being awful.

Matheny doesn't play those games.

I think other half the problem is that they don't want Carpenter as a near everyday 3B. Carpenter is almost 33 and having to deal with Back and Shoulder issues over recent years.  Playing a position that requires arm strength is not ideal in terms of staying healthy. 

So while it is true that Jose Martinez is awful at 1B, I don't think they would care so much if their other best hitter, Carpenter. Wasn't an injury risk playing everyday 3B.

So then the question for Matheny becomes. Ok lets give Carpenter a break from 3B. Give him a day off or just have him play 1B and sit Jose Martinez. With defense and the fact Carpenter is just as good as of a hitter. The answer who sits is obvious. While sending Jose Martinez the message. "Get better at defense if you don't want to get benched in this situation every-time"

Edited by Slatykamora

I don't see improvement at 1B.  He has problems scooping balls in the dirt ranging left due to the left MCL issue.  There may be some bone on bone going there that needs cleanup in the offseason.  The hope is that he wont have so much bending over in the OF so I guess he can dive OK.