brockpapersizer

Jose Martinez 2018 Outlook

34 minutes ago, fingy said:

Why is he sitting so much all the sudden..

The cards are emphasizing defense.  He doesn't have those skills.

29 minutes ago, billofwa said:

The cards are emphasizing defense.  He doesn't have those skills.

Guy should just request trade to an AL team..

Matheny was just fired, so there Cardinals lineups will be interesting the next few days.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he still ended up on the bench a lot.  He absolutely botched a ball in right field the other day.  I mean, it was really bad. 

The dude just cant play defense.  He’s the perfect DH on an NL team unfortunately.

3 minutes ago, Baseball Batman said:

Barring a trade to an AL team, this guy is virtually valueless. 

Not looking good.  Probably will sit 2-3 times a week.  Hopefully he gets dealt.  I’m sure the league has taken notice.  He’s a very nice bat.  Someone has use for him.  

17 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

Not looking good.  Probably will sit 2-3 times a week.  Hopefully he gets dealt.  I’m sure the league has taken notice.  He’s a very nice bat.  Someone has use for him.  

Sadly, none of the A.L. division or wild card contenders have a need at DH. JD Martinez, Stanton, E5, Gattis, Nelson Cruz, Khris Davis. It will take a deal with a non-contender to get Jose full time AB's again. But non-contenders are typically sellers, not buyers, at the deadline.

1 minute ago, Baseball Batman said:

Sadly, none of the A.L. division or wild card contenders have a need at DH. JD Martinez, Stanton, E5, Gattis, Nelson Cruz, Khris Davis. It will take a deal with a non-contender to get Jose full time AB's again. But non-contenders are typically sellers, not buyers, at the deadline.

Martinez is under team control for 3 or 4 more years, so he's not a typical player that gets traded at the deadline.  So a team not in contention could be interested, since they would have him for a few more years.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, murraygd13 said:

Martinez is under team control for 3 or 4 more years, so he's not a typical player that gets traded at the deadline.  So a team not in contention could be interested, since they would have him for a few more years.

Agreed. It seems, though, that the Cardinals also will be sellers at the deadline, so it may take a rare deadline deal between two non-contenders for Jose to have value for the remainder of 2018. More likely is an off-season trade and a return to fantasy relevance in 2019.

I'm not giving up yet, tons of things could change, injuries could happen and Jose could be instantly back to full time ABs.

9 minutes ago, CFN said:

I'm not giving up yet, tons of things could change, injuries could happen and Jose could be instantly back to full time ABs.

Bader just left with an ankle injury.

Ouch.  I hate to drop the guy but in many formats you simply can't carry someone if he is going to only play a couple times a week.  Not sure what I will personally do but that is terrible news.

Cardinals do have a game on 7/19 which will be one more data point before the second half begins in earnest. 

Edited by AHF

I actually listened to that interview with Schildt. He did say that the lineup Sunday was thinking in terms of who’s going to start most of the time, qualifying it with, “of course we’ll tweak it some.” But then again, Pham was on the bench too. As bad as he’s been, it’s hard to believe he would consider Fowler a starter over Pham. So I don’t know what to think.

i read somewhere that it’s basically a management directive to get better on defense, and Matheny had already begun benching Martinez most days, except when they played in an AL park. Schildt appears to be continuing that for now. But what if the offense completely flatlines without him? And does he play every day again if one of the outfielders or Carp or Gyorko get injured? Knowing my dropping luck this year he’d probably find his way into every day at bats again as soon as I drop. But it’s tough to roster a part timer who’s only chance is someone else’s injury or a trade.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Caelum said:

I actually listened to that interview with Schildt. He did say that the lineup Sunday was thinking in terms of who’s going to start most of the time, qualifying it with, “of course we’ll tweak it some.” But then again, Pham was on the bench too. As bad as he’s been, it’s hard to believe he would consider Fowler a starter over Pham. So I don’t know what to think.

i read somewhere that it’s basically a management directive to get better on defense, and Matheny had already begun benching Martinez most days, except when they played in an AL park. Schildt appears to be continuing that for now. But what if the offense completely flatlines without him? And does he play every day again if one of the outfielders or Carp or Gyorko get injured? Knowing my dropping luck this year he’d probably find his way into every day at bats again as soon as I drop. But it’s tough to roster a part timer who’s only chance is someone else’s injury or a trade.

Ozuna is also having a shoulder issue similar to Carpenter to a lesser degree.  He has trouble with throws of 40+ feet.  Seems like LF may have some playing time opps as well as RF and 1B.  Ultimately we have to try an honest assessment and prognostication of the near term defensive future for El Cafecito Magnefico.   He needs to be an every day bat though and he may require the DH to make that happen.

On 2018. 07. 16. at 11:31 PM, STLSU said:

Just put all the numbers prior to ASB in my player eval excel, and using Runs + RBIs + OPS he is the 46th best bat in the league (MLB).
(correcting for missing time due injury or other reason was not used for this evaluation)

A great many defensively challenged but very good hitters play all the time. According to Fangraphs numbers Hosmer, Bryace Harper, Rhys Hoskins, Khris Davis are worse than Jose Martinez. And Blackmon, Catellanos or even J.D. Martinez sucks at D just as much. They all play everyday.
This is idiotic.
You just don't sit your 2nd best hitter. (Matt Carpenter is 1st)

Well whatever. He shall sit for the next 2 weeks, 7 games vs. the Cubs.
Go Cubs Go! :D

So, how can he get better defensively by NOT PLAYING? 

I had to let him go ???

In a weekly league I need every day starters. Not great hitters who are foolishly benched.

3 hours ago, JCD said:

Just put all the numbers prior to ASB in my player eval excel, and using Runs + RBIs + OPS he is the 46th best bat in the league (MLB).
(correcting for missing time due injury or other reason was not used for this evaluation)

A great many defensively challenged but very good hitters play all the time. According to Fangraphs numbers Hosmer, Bryace Harper, Rhys Hoskins, Khris Davis are worse than Jose Martinez. And Blackmon, Catellanos or even J.D. Martinez sucks at D just as much. They all play everyday.
This is idiotic.
You just don't sit your 2nd best hitter. (Matt Carpenter is 1st)

Well whatever. He shall sit for the next 2 weeks, 7 games vs. the Cubs.
Go Cubs Go! :D

Eye reports were this guy was absolutely abysmal, not just bad. The worst. 

He'd have to be- nobody wants to take a bat like that out of the lineup. I've not seen him but it must be he routinely misses scoops a major leaguer makes every time, makes mental mistakes, etc- the kind of stuff that may not show up in some of those metrics. That's all I can figure.

32 minutes ago, Stubudd said:

Eye reports were this guy was absolutely abysmal, not just bad. The worst. 

He'd have to be- nobody wants to take a bat like that out of the lineup. I've not seen him but it must be he routinely misses scoops a major leaguer makes every time, makes mental mistakes, etc- the kind of stuff that may not show up in some of those metrics. That's all I can figure.

Pretty much yeah. 

As has been said before, if he were moved to an AL team as a DH it would be perfect.  Here's hoping...