brockpapersizer

Jose Martinez 2018 Outlook

On 7/22/2018 at 12:07 AM, Cmilne23 said:

Mike Morse in RF for me.  It was so bad watching him swan dive all over the OF.  Raul Ibanez in LF probably a close second.  

1 hour ago, 89Topps said:

I was gonna say, Ibanez in LF late in his career was clown shoes bad.

Rickie Weeks in LF, albeit for a short time, was scary bad as well.

Todd Hundley in left field. 

38 minutes ago, JCD said:

Majority? Theres one way to put it.
But you could say that JD Martinez plays OF nearly half the time.
Still I give you points for effort :D

Sure there is. 1b is a defensive position where you hide your defensively most challenged player if necessary. So you know that the guy is not that good.
The OF not so much, where you expect your player to catch a routine flyball, and not make it an adventure.
Im sure a good manager would rather take the 1b who is subpar, than have an OF who gives him the heart attack every time the ball is hit to him.
The only question of course what sub par is, and what really bad is, where everyone has a different opinion.
Fangraphs can measure whatever they want, if they create a mean to compare players to each other, cos that way what is sub par and what is bad will change when players change.
My opinion is that only the expert eye can really tell, and Matheny thought Martinez can pass the eye test. Good enough for me.
I watched him making some errors, and this newest "broomstick effort", and I thought he is ok, and no reason to bench him.

JD Martinez has 55 games at DH and 39 in the OF.  So, "majority" would be the...correct way to put it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gryfter said:

Todd Hundley in left field. 

That actually happened?  God wish I had videos lol

I could honestly see Martinez going to someone like OAK or even HOU, if they could somehow swing that. Those seem like the most logical spots in terms of teams that have a need at the DH spot. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, CORTEz said:

I could honestly see Martinez going to someone like OAK or even HOU, if they could somehow swing that. Those seem like the most logical spots in terms of teams that have a need at the DH spot. 

Khris Davis is DH in Oakland, but they get creative defensively sometimes.  Can Davis play any OF or is he so bad?

1 hour ago, JCD said:

I watched him making some errors, and this newest "broomstick effort", and I thought he is ok, and no reason to bench him.

Defensive analytics have many flaws. But so far UZR has him ranked tied for last. His range (RZR) ranks dead last with a 685 (835 is average. 700 is considered awful - the closest is Healy with a 707). DRS ranks him as being as bad as Healy and above only two other guys. Pick a stat. Any defensive stat. He ranks either dead last or close to it in most defensive categories. The stats paint a clear picture of him being a butcher in the field. Maybe he'll improve. But he's been a mess so far. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

Khris Davis is DH in Oakland, but they get creative defensively sometimes.  Can Davis play any OF or is he so bad?

As long as it's a basic play that doesn't cause him to run or dive and he doesn't have to deal with runners tagging up or stretching a hit he's acceptable. There's a reason he was moved to DH. As an Oakland fan, I hope I don't have to see him in the outfield much, if ever. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, CORTEz said:

Evan Gattis has been pretty damn good at DH for Houston this year, I don’t think JoMart represents an actual upgrade there... it would be a smart move for Oakland though if they think Khris Davis can handle a corner OF spot.

To look at this from a non analytics perspective and a more traditional stats side, Jose has the worst fielding percentage among first basemen with a 988. He is tied for the most errors with 7. Belt, Abreu, and Santana are tied with him. Belt has 30 more innings. Abreu has 105 more innings. Santana has 225 more innings. 

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/instagraphs/good-lord-khris-davis/

There is an article from late July of last year.  So not sure Oakland will be too keen on moving him out of the DH anytime soon.  IMO, Oakland should focus more on adding another starter over a DH, especially when it isn't really an area of need at this point.

• Like 2

[Guys, maybe take the Khris/JD/etc. tangents to their respective threads,.]

What about Seattle?  Can Cruz be put in RF?

4 hours ago, 89Topps said:

Where is he playing for either of those teams?

DH/LF for Cleveland.  DH for Houston but more of a time share with Kemp and Tucker.

Edited by STLSU

1 hour ago, STLSU said:

DH/LF for Cleveland.  DH for Houston but more of a time share with Kemp and Tucker.

In Cleveland, are you moving EE to 1B and just benching Alonso?  I really don't know that Martinez is enough of an upgrade over Alonso to justify playing either Martinez or EE at 1B.

And in Houston, just benching Gattis?  I mean, yea, Martinez would probably be an upgrade there, Gattis hasn't necessarily been a liability though.

1 hour ago, ToO_BaD said:

No way.  I could see Seattle as an option if the plan were to just play him at 1B this year, since they have a butcher there in Healy anyway, then move Martinez to DH next year & let Cruz walk.  I don't really see that happening though.  I think they want to resign Cruz.

2 hours ago, smeeze said:

Evan Gattis has been pretty damn good at DH for Houston this year, I don’t think JoMart represents an actual upgrade there... it would be a smart move for Oakland though if they think Khris Davis can handle a corner OF spot.

"Pretty damn good" is probably overselling it a bit.  .299 OBP.  He has a 112 wRC+, so he's been "good", not great.  Martinez would be an upgrade there, but I don't know that adding another "DH only" guy would be on the top of Houston's priority list.

1 hour ago, ToO_BaD said:

Maybe once a week.  His body gave way though.  Healy was 3B and switched to 1B this year though.  He’d be an upgrade over Healy who basically only mashes the worst arms in baseball, has a .275 OBP.  Love his passion he brings to field but he’s replacement level player.  Martinez much better overall bat and Healy has graded out awful defensively.  So could be a fit.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, 89Topps said:

In Cleveland, are you moving EE to 1B and just benching Alonso?  I really don't know that Martinez is enough of an upgrade over Alonso to justify playing either Martinez or EE at 1B.

And in Houston, just benching Gattis?  I mean, yea, Martinez would probably be an upgrade there, Gattis hasn't necessarily been a liability though.

Well not exactly.  The idea floated was to hide Cafecito in LF for Cleveland for the most part.  Zimmer is out I believe as was Chisenhall.  I saw this on mlbtraderumors.  As for H Town. Gattis has been decent after a rough start.  He's used to a part time role though.

12 minutes ago, STLSU said:

Well not exactly.  The idea floated was to hide Cafecito in LF for Cleveland for the most part.  Zimmer is out I believe as was Chisenhall.  I saw this on mlbtraderumors.  As for H Town. Gattis has been decent after a rough start.  He's used to a part time role though.

Boy, Martinez in LF would be a negative WAR player.  At that point, you might just be better off just trotting Rajai Davis & Tyler Naquin out there.  Or, at the very least, there has got to be a dozen players available they would rather acquire.

Edited by 89Topps
  • Haha 1

I don't see any playoff contenders needing a DH. If he gets traded to the AL I'm pretty sure it's going to be a bad team that doesn't really have anything. KC? Tampa? Texas, Baltimore, or Detroit? He just doesn't have that much value as the bat isn't so proven a team should pay a premium, and his age means teams aren't going to want to grab him if they're still several years away from contending. And if they can't get a good haul for him, he might be of better use to the Cardinals as a bench bat and occasional starter. 

Edited by AnonymousRob

Starting for the 4th straight game. Think they're trying to show our boy off to potential suitors. 

• Like 1

Cards open to moving Jose Martinez... hopefully it happens. If he was dropped in your league due to playing time, I'd scoop him ASAP before a potential deadline deal happens.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/07/cardinals-trade-rumors-bud-norris-jose-martinez-rockies-red-sox.html

@collucho seems to be slot on. Hopefully he is dealt or his playing time could be suspect again moving forward. 

Im trying to think what team would actually get him and start him every day right away.  Really seems like Royals make the most sense, sadly. 

17 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

Im trying to think what team would actually get him and start him every day right away.  Really seems like Royals make the most sense, sadly. 

I can see the Yankees acquiring him with Judge on the shelf. When Judge returns Jose can rotate at 1B and DH.

25 minutes ago, StevieStats said:

I can see the Yankees acquiring him with Judge on the shelf. When Judge returns Jose can rotate at 1B and DH.

I could be wrong, but I think acquiring Luke Voit from the Cardinals already kills that chance.  If they wanted to do it, they would have done that instead. I'm  sure it was discussed.