Impeccable

Off-season Closer Thread 2017/18

Really hope that Morrow flourishes with the Cubs. He has some of the best stuff in baseball, so he could potentially be an elite closer for the Cubbies if he can stay healthy.

Meh...Morrow can never stay healthy.  He's also been very inconsistent.  Don't know why he'd get a shot over Edwards as it stands right now.  

angels -  cam-bed i guess? what even happened here last year; BLAKE PARKER?

astros - giles...? devenski?  Devenski was not nearly as good down the stretch as his early season success might make him seem for the year.

athletics - treinen? liam hendriks? chris hatcher? 

twins - hildenberger? resign belisle? sign somebody new?

rays - colome until they trade him (then what?) TOMMY HUNTER?

I could have 5 or 0 closers going into 2018 in AL-only league. Parker, Giles, Treinen, Belisle, Hunter, all under $5 except Giles. 

How many of these guys are closers to start the season? What's the ranking of most to least likely?

12 minutes ago, balancedman178 said:

angels -  cam-bed i guess? what even happened here last year; BLAKE PARKER?

astros - giles...? devenski?  Devenski was not nearly as good down the stretch as his early season success might make him seem for the year.

athletics - treinen? liam hendriks? chris hatcher? 

twins - hildenberger? resign belisle? sign somebody new?

rays - colome until they trade him (then what?) TOMMY HUNTER?

I could have 5 or 0 closers going into 2018 in AL-only league. Parker, Giles, Treinen, Belisle, Hunter, all under $5 except Giles. 

How many of these guys are closers to start the season? What's the ranking of most to least likely?

My guesses are in bold as it stands right now.  If the Rays trade Colome, your guess is as good as mine.  Giles, Colome, Treinen, Parker, Hildenberger ranking.   Colome's backup will head to the back of the rankings until there's some clarity.  Colome is tricky now because he could go somewhere and not close.

Edited by kidtwentytwo

3 hours ago, kidtwentytwo said:

My guesses are in bold as it stands right now.  If the Rays trade Colome, your guess is as good as mine.  Giles, Colome, Treinen, Parker, Hildenberger ranking.   Colome's backup will head to the back of the rankings until there's some clarity.  Colome is tricky now because he could go somewhere and not close.

There is no way Colome won't close wherever he goes.  He lead the AL in Saves last year.  To me he is at the top of the second tier right behind Kimbrell and Jansen and Chapman.  Unless he goes to the Dodgers, Red Sox or Yankees he is definitely closing.

47 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

There is no way Colome won't close wherever he goes.  He lead the AL in Saves last year.  To me he is at the top of the second tier right behind Kimbrell and Jansen and Chapman.  Unless he goes to the Dodgers, Red Sox or Yankees he is definitely closing.

There's probably more scenario's than that where he doesn't.  Don't under-estimate managers going with "their guy".  I also don't believe he's as dominant as you're implying.  2016 looking like an outlier.  

Would he close on the Orioles, Jays, Astros, Giants, Indians, mariners, Mets, Brewers?   Possibly not immediately.  What if a team signs Holland or Davis and then trades for Colome?  I don't believe it's a slam dunk he closes wherever he goes.  

• Like 1

ReL Colome

4.32 Xfip, sub 8 K/9 last year

He's been a great fantasy closer for the last 2 years and I think most likely if he gets traded, he's going to close... but I could easily forsee him going to a team with a good or equal guy in the 9th already. 65/35 he closes next year for me (if traded)

1 hour ago, kidtwentytwo said:

There's probably more scenario's than that where he doesn't.  Don't under-estimate managers going with "their guy".  I also don't believe he's as dominant as you're implying.  2016 looking like an outlier.  

Would he close on the Orioles, Jays, Astros, Giants, Indians, mariners, Mets, Brewers?   Possibly not immediately.  What if a team signs Holland or Davis and then trades for Colome?  I don't believe it's a slam dunk he closes wherever he goes.  

It wasn't exactly chopped liver last year either.  He is was top drawer last year too.  So how is 2016  some outlier?  Teams are looking for the younger, long term next big closer.

Also he just has that it factor.  That certain presence on the mound.  Can't see him doing as well in any set-up role because closer is what he is.

1 hour ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

It wasn't exactly chopped liver last year either.  He is was top drawer last year too.  So how is 2016  some outlier?  Teams are looking for the younger, long term next big closer.

Also he just has that it factor.  That certain presence on the mound.  Can't see him doing as well in any set-up role because closer is what he is.

He was top drawer last year because he got so many saves.  His other stats were not that elite.  Also his stats as a setup man were pretty similar to his stats last year.  If you ask me he is a better than average closer and a better than average setup man.  I think if he gets traded there's a fair shot he could end up doing either.  As for him having that it factor, that is something you see, a manager might see it differently.

3 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Not saying he’s chopped liver, just not a lock to close everywhere.  66%ish?  He was out of his mind in 2016.  That’s as good as it’ll probably get.   He’s also 29... so not super young either.  

Im seeing the Cards & Rox being interested in him now.   Not sure how I feel about Colorado, but he’d close both places 

Fernando Rodney signing with the Twins. He moves in as the clear favorite to be the closer. He was an elite closing option last year after the all star break (2.55 ERA, 1.01 WHIP, 31/8 K/BB in 24 IP, 17/18 SV). Obviously was preceded by a horrible first half, but hard to ignore those numbers. He will be a popular late round closer target for me.

1 hour ago, Sidearmer said:

Fernando Rodney signing with the Twins. He moves in as the clear favorite to be the closer. He was an elite closing option last year after the all star break (2.55 ERA, 1.01 WHIP, 31/8 K/BB in 24 IP, 17/18 SV). Obviously was preceded by a horrible first half, but hard to ignore those numbers. He will be a popular late round closer target for me.

Normally, a guy like him is signed and it blocks an upside guy, but Minnesota is actually a good landing spot for him with regards to the fantasy game, they didnt really have much upside in the pen, and he brings some stability to that situation in the closers role.  

37 minutes ago, parrothead said:

Normally, a guy like him is signed and it blocks an upside guy, but Minnesota is actually a good landing spot for him with regards to the fantasy game, they didnt really have much upside in the pen, and he brings some stability to that situation in the closers role.  

Agreed. Hildenberger and Rogers are interesting guys, but neither has pedigree nor the stuff to be forced in at closer. Both put up nice numbers in a partial season last year but were working low leverage situations. Twins made the wild card last year and they want to compete and make the playoffs this year. Adding Rodney gives them a veteran presence at closer they most likely desired. Rodney should have a very long leash.

Who is next up in Baltimore?

Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic reports that Orioles closer Zach Britton injured his Achilles during an offseason workout on Tuesday in California and will be sidelined for at least six months.

• Sad 1

On 12/22/2017 at 6:57 PM, azeri98 said:

Who is the favorite to close for the D-Backs?

My money is on Boxberger. He has had previous success as a closer, and came back pretty strong last year after injuries.

Archie Bradley seems like he will be in the fireman Andrew Miller role as a guy that can go multiple innings in the 6-8 innings.

Hirano was just signed, but I doubt he would get the role right away. Would have to be impressive in Spring Training along with Boxberger struggling to be given the role right away I would think.

38 minutes ago, Sidearmer said:

My money is on Boxberger. He has had previous success as a closer, and came back pretty strong last year after injuries.

Archie Bradley seems like he will be in the fireman Andrew Miller role as a guy that can go multiple innings in the 6-8 innings.

Hirano was just signed, but I doubt he would get the role right away. Would have to be impressive in Spring Training along with Boxberger struggling to be given the role right away I would think.

I agree with all this, but I'm hoping for Archie Bradley.

2 hours ago, Sidearmer said:

Sorry but I just don't see Boxberger as their closer.  He has had 1 "good" season as Tampa's closer and that came with a 3.71 ERA and a 1.37 WHIP.  He also owns a scary 4.4 BB/9 over his career.  Not someone I would trust to be my closer on a team with post season aspirations.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, jb_power said:

Sorry but I just don't see Boxberger as their closer.  He has had 1 "good" season as Tampa's closer and that came with a 3.71 ERA and a 1.37 WHIP.  He also owns a scary 4.4 BB/9 over his career.  Not someone I would trust to be my closer on a team with post season aspirations.

Not saying Boxberger will be an elite closer, or that he even will keep the job long term. But I do think he will be the first option out of the gate. I know his ERA wasn't great but he had 41 saves that one season, enough to qualify him to have "closer experience" which no one else in the pen has. He also has a career 11.6 K/9. Last year his numbers were very respectable.

Aside from Bradley, there just aren't any better options: Andrew Chafin (lefty, 2 straight pedestrian seasons), Jake Barrett (lost job in 2016, was horrible in 2017), Randall Delgado (coming off injury, mediocre arm). At this point I highly doubt Bradley will be moved to closer, so it only leaves Boxberger.

49 minutes ago, Sidearmer said:

Not saying Boxberger will be an elite closer, or that he even will keep the job long term. But I do think he will be the first option out of the gate. I know his ERA wasn't great but he had 41 saves that one season, enough to qualify him to have "closer experience" which no one else in the pen has. He also has a career 11.6 K/9. Last year his numbers were very respectable.

Aside from Bradley, there just aren't any better options: Andrew Chafin (lefty, 2 straight pedestrian seasons), Jake Barrett (lost job in 2016, was horrible in 2017), Randall Delgado (coming off injury, mediocre arm). At this point I highly doubt Bradley will be moved to closer, so it only leaves Boxberger.

I am guessing you don't think much of Jimmie Sherfy then? Long hailed as one of best closing prospects in the minors and also came up and pitched very well last season.

Probably will not start the year as the closer, but a great dark horse IMO if they see Bradley as an Andrew Miller type or use him as a starter.

3 minutes ago, Dirtywater97 said:

I am guessing you don't think much of Jimmie Sherfy then? Long hailed as one of best closing prospects in the minors and also came up and pitched very well last season.

Probably will not start the year as the closer, but a great dark horse IMO if they see Bradley as an Andrew Miller type or use him as a starter.

He's another guy to consider later on in the year, but I doubt he's given the job to open the year.

On 12/22/2017 at 6:57 PM, azeri98 said:

Who is the favorite to close for the D-Backs?

They may not be through bullpen shopping yet.  They have some nice pieces in their bullpen but someone like a Wade Davis would put them into the serious contender category overnight.  I agree Boxberger is no one's answer as a closer.