JeterPimpedUrGF

Off-season Closer Thread 2017/18

Cards say Gregerson is current closer.  Mann didn't he have terrible velo drop? Ahh

On 1/4/2018 at 3:39 AM, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

It will probably end up being Morrow. He should be a pretty good closer.

Theo seems to agree with you:

Cubs' President of Baseball Operations Theo Epstein said Saturday that he's confident in Brandon Morrow as the team's closer for the 2018 season.

The club could still add another high-leverage bullpen arm in the next couple of weeks, but if they enter the season with their current roster it'll be Morrow who gets the first crack at the ninth inning. The main concern with Morrow has always been health, so as long as he can avoid injury he should have substantial fantasy value in 2018.

Jan 13 - 10:48 AM

12 minutes ago, zstlj said:

Cards say Gregerson is current closer.  Mann didn't he have terrible velo drop? Ahh

I'd have to look up velocity, but what I know he had were the worst ratio numbers of his long career. Ugh.

On 1/13/2018 at 1:49 PM, AnonymousRob said:

Twins get Reed.

Twins reporters not giving Reed the job yet. May be something to watch here.

On 1/13/2018 at 1:03 PM, zstlj said:

https://www.brooksbaseball.net/velo.php?player=502381&b_hand=-1&gFilt=&pFilt=FA|SI|FC|CU|SL|CS|KN|CH|FS|SB&time=year&minmax=ci&var=mph&s_type=2&startDate=03/30/2007&endDate=01/14/2018

Per BrooksBaseball, velocity dropped a little but nothing major, and nothing out of line from his career. Could be a solid bargain for a lot of opportunities, there aren't any emerging candidates in the bullpen to legitimately challenge him at this point.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Sidearmer said:

Twins reporters not giving Reed the job yet. May be something to watch here.

https://www.brooksbaseball.net/velo.php?player=502381&b_hand=-1&gFilt=&pFilt=FA|SI|FC|CU|SL|CS|KN|CH|FS|SB&time=year&minmax=ci&var=mph&s_type=2&startDate=03/30/2007&endDate=01/14/2018

Per BrooksBaseball, velocity dropped a little but nothing major, and nothing out of line from his career. Could be a solid bargain for a lot of opportunities, there aren't any emerging candidates in the bullpen to legitimately challenge him at this point.

Reyes could fill in there when he returns but kinda disappointed going from Colome or Holland to gregerson but hey he's a cardinal so I'm rooting for him

Reed is the first reliever that the Twins have ever signed to a multi-year contract. No wonder their pitching has been horrendous for years now.

6 minutes ago, kidtwentytwo said:

Lyons is the best reliever in the pen right now...  for those wanting to spec

I agree 100%, I think he has a shot to close before it's all said and done.