Impeccable

Off-season Closer Thread 2017/18

On 1/4/2018 at 3:39 AM, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

It will probably end up being Morrow. He should be a pretty good closer.

Theo seems to agree with you:

Cubs' President of Baseball Operations Theo Epstein said Saturday that he's confident in Brandon Morrow as the team's closer for the 2018 season.

The club could still add another high-leverage bullpen arm in the next couple of weeks, but if they enter the season with their current roster it'll be Morrow who gets the first crack at the ninth inning. The main concern with Morrow has always been health, so as long as he can avoid injury he should have substantial fantasy value in 2018.

Jan 13 - 10:48 AM

12 minutes ago, zstlj said:

Cards say Gregerson is current closer.  Mann didn't he have terrible velo drop? Ahh

I'd have to look up velocity, but what I know he had were the worst ratio numbers of his long career. Ugh.

I really expected more for STL

Brad Hand signed a 3 year extension and will be an absolute stud closer this year.

• Like 2

On 1/13/2018 at 1:49 PM, AnonymousRob said:

Twins get Reed.

Twins reporters not giving Reed the job yet. May be something to watch here.

On 1/13/2018 at 1:03 PM, zstlj said:

Cards say Gregerson is current closer.  Mann didn't he have terrible velo drop? Ahh

https://www.brooksbaseball.net/velo.php?player=502381&b_hand=-1&gFilt=&pFilt=FA|SI|FC|CU|SL|CS|KN|CH|FS|SB&time=year&minmax=ci&var=mph&s_type=2&startDate=03/30/2007&endDate=01/14/2018

Per BrooksBaseball, velocity dropped a little but nothing major, and nothing out of line from his career. Could be a solid bargain for a lot of opportunities, there aren't any emerging candidates in the bullpen to legitimately challenge him at this point.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Sidearmer said:

Twins reporters not giving Reed the job yet. May be something to watch here.

https://www.brooksbaseball.net/velo.php?player=502381&b_hand=-1&gFilt=&pFilt=FA|SI|FC|CU|SL|CS|KN|CH|FS|SB&time=year&minmax=ci&var=mph&s_type=2&startDate=03/30/2007&endDate=01/14/2018

Per BrooksBaseball, velocity dropped a little but nothing major, and nothing out of line from his career. Could be a solid bargain for a lot of opportunities, there aren't any emerging candidates in the bullpen to legitimately challenge him at this point.

Reyes could fill in there when he returns but kinda disappointed going from Colome or Holland to gregerson but hey he's a cardinal so I'm rooting for him

I still think Rodney will close, but he's Rodney. 50/50 chance he implodes and Reed takes over. 

Reed is the first reliever that the Twins have ever signed to a multi-year contract. No wonder their pitching has been horrendous for years now.

Lyons is the best reliever in the pen right now...  for those wanting to spec

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, kidtwentytwo said:

Lyons is the best reliever in the pen right now...  for those wanting to spec

I agree 100%, I think he has a shot to close before it's all said and done.

Things shaping up a little now.  Need to see where Holland lands, but as of now...

Boston - Kimbrel

Baltimore - Brach

NYY - Chapman

Tampa - Colome

Toronto - Osuna

Detroit - Greene

CWS - Soria

KC - Herrera

Minnesota - Rodney (Reed?)

Cleveland - Allen

Anaheim - Parker (Though I think this has committee written all over it)

Oakland - Treinen

Seattle - Diaz

Houston - Giles

Texas - Claudio (Possibly the biggest question mark in the AL)

Atlanta - Vizcaino

NYM - Familia

Miami - Ziegler

Phille - Neris

Washington - Doolittle

Chicago Cubs - Morrow (Edwards Jr, Cishek)

Cincinnati - Iglesias

Milwaukee - Knebel

Pittsburgh - Rivero 

St Louis - Gregreson (Lyons) 

LA Dodgers - Jansen

SF - Melancon

SD - Hand

Colorado - Davis

Arizona - Bradley (Boxberger)

Edited by kidtwentytwo
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Excellent summary, kidtwenrytwo.  Thanks for posting it since it makes stuff a lot clearer.

I'd maybe add AJ Ramos in parenthesis next to Familia for the Mets since there is some indication they are open to a timeshare there this season or even competition in spring training.

@kidtwentytwo can you follow this up with the 8th inning guy for each team, followed up by potential dominant arms coming up either on MLB roster or in minors (i.e. Zack Burdi for CWS)?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Dark Kn19ht said:

@kidtwentytwo can you follow this up with the 8th inning guy for each team, followed up by potential dominant arms coming up either on MLB roster or in minors (i.e. Zack Burdi for CWS)?

Can you?   :rolleyes:

20 minutes ago, unknownrotoguru said:

If you want that then why not just go to Closer Monkey instead.  They always have three relievers seeded for each  team as I recall.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, unknownrotoguru said:

I can't. That's why I asked. Burdi is the only guy i know of that is an up and coming closer. There has to be more than just him right?

Burdi just had TJS.  May be a wait in him.  

Look at AJ Minter, Jimmy Herget, Drew Steckenrider.  

I think closer is the shallowest position outside of catcher this year.  A third of the names on that list are undraftable right off the bat, and several of the more highly ranked guys come with question marks: Osuna had 10 BS and four months with an ERA of 4.50 or higher; Chapman was hurt and/or ineffective for considerable stretches; Herrera and Giles both lost their jobs which could affect their mindset; Doolittle's health is always a concern; Davis is in Coors; Knebel averaged 4.74 BB/9 and Rivero and Hand seem like prime trade candidates at the deadline. 

It might make sense to reach for Kimbrel and/or Jansen come draft time.

Pirates just extended Rivero 4 years.  He seems one of the safer bets to keep his job this season 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

If you want that then why not just go to Closer Monkey instead.  They always have three relievers seeded for each  team as I recall.

I was actually trying to be sarcastic.  I suppose I should have written it "can YOU?"  

Carl Edwards Jr. is definitely the handcuff to own. When Morrow gets injured, CEJ will most likely be the closer. The Cubs have never trusted Strop to close out games (6 saves in 5 seasons). 

Edited by Fuzzy_Slippers
  • Like 1