Impeccable

Off-season Closer Thread 2017/18

I want to know about the situation in St Louis next year.  Rosenthal is out all next year isn't he?  Will Oh start out as closer?  They traded for Nicasio and he has done well.  What is his contract and status?

Other teams I want to know about include the Angels and Minnesota.  Do they stay with their current closers?  I'd ask about Texas but apparently they have gone off grid on the concept of closer.

Closers going by divisions?  I'll take the easy one.  The whole AL East will remain the same I'd say unless Britton still has some physical issues.  But Kimbrell, Chapman, Colome (leads AL in Saves) and Osuma should be back along with Britton.  Yes people are always saying the Rays will trade Colome but I'll believe it when I see it.

Shane Greene should go into 18 with the job. No way the Tigers will buy a closer in the off season. And nobody close to as good o the current time. Rondon and Jimninez both suck.

Free Agents to be

Matt Belisle, Wade Davis, and Fernando Rodney

Minnesota could replace Belisle with Trevor Hildenberger, Tyler Duffey, or Taylor Rogers, if he can be good. Right now, Hildenberger is the set up guy for Belisle. Glen Perkins has a $6.5m team option, but why would they do that.

For the Cubs, any one of Strop, Justin Wilson, or Carl Edwards could become the new closer next season. My bet is on Wilson but it really could be anyone. 

For the Dbacks, Archie Bradley is their best bullpen arm, but who knows if they want to use him in an Andrew Miller type role next season. David Hernandez or JJ Hoover could become the closer if that happens. If Bradley gets the job, he could become a top 5-10 closer. Could be a good speculative early pickup if he's still available. Definitely someone to keep an eye on.

Agree with the AL East stuff above by TBBT. Can't see Zach Britton getting traded (injury + O's high price), but he was on the block before, so always a possibility. Could be someone makes an offer this winter they can't refuse or they bring their price down on him some.

Mike Minor is for real and could hold the job at least to the All Star break when he could be traded.

Who in the world is going to be the White Sox closer next season. It would've been Burdi, but he got hurt. Jones can't stay off the DL. Fulmer was an option, but he finished with a few really strong starts and will be given every chance to prove he's a viable starter. I'm guessing they sign a reclamation project and hope to strike gold (a la Swarzak and Kahnle) and then flip them at the deadline. Maybe they give a guy like Spencer Adams a shot since his stuff doesn't seem to play well enough in a starting role. 

Whatever happens, I'm targeting them as a potential waiver wire source for saves gold depending on how things shake out. Minaya was blah this year, but next year's Minaya, whoever that might be, could be good for 30+ saves and decent peripherals. 

Seeing how it's now October I'll post here instead of in the September thread. Thank you everyone for all your great research and even the bickering isn't all that bad when people are taking different sides. Since I found this site forum before last year it has elevated my game so much. Last year I won 1 of 2 cash leagues with a big help to this topic and this year I won both. On one team I drafted 5 late closers 2 stuck and I finished the year with 6, on the other team I drafted 4.5 (Reed as place holder with Familia suspended) and 0 stuck but I still finished with 5 and then of course some Casilla, Bud Norris etc... along the way. I know lots of league dependent arguments are made but I'm clearly waiting in my 2 leagues next year for saves, there is never a closer available on the wire in either league but thanks to this thread and you great guys I get them first or often grab them as a speculative add compared to the owners I play with.

Bradley becomes the closer in Arizona, Minn, St.L,, Pale Hose, Angels, Rangers, KC, Nats, Mets, Marlins, who knows and i think Edwards takes the Cubs job, Madden already said he is a closer in waiting

Minor has said he wants to be a starter but I think he could end up with the closers job in KC because he was that good the last month.

11 hours ago, azeri98 said:

Bradley becomes the closer in Arizona, Minn, St.L,, Pale Hose, Angels, Rangers, KC, Nats, Mets, Marlins, who knows and i think Edwards takes the Cubs job, Madden already said he is a closer in waiting

Is Rodney a FA?

2 hours ago, AnonymousRob said:

Is Rodney a FA?

Yes

• Like 1

On 10/2/2017 at 7:54 AM, motown magic said:

Minor has said he wants to be a starter but I think he could end up with the closers job in KC because he was that good the last month.

I can understand him wanting to try starting, but he should realize how good he was in the bullpen this season.  Still, it wouldn't surprise me if they want to try Herrera again next season regardless.

7 hours ago, KilloWertz said:

I can understand him wanting to try starting, but he should realize how good he was in the bullpen this season.  Still, it wouldn't surprise me if they want to try Herrera again next season regardless.

Both?  KC success in recent years was not just the great closer, but 2-3 closer types at the backend.  

ah good, i logged on specifically to look for discussion of this. 

somebody should make a list of all the closers who are free agents and what the situation is for those teams. i would do this myself, but i'm hoping somebody else will do it before i have time

razzball's bullpen guy did a 2018 closer guess-analysis post and had rodney signing with the white sox, which is random yet for some reason felt weirdly plausible to me

but he's a free agent. belisle in minnesota. wade davis. who else

Edited by wily mo

St Louis is the most interesting to me because its a good team who will get a lot of save opps. Nicasio, Rosenthal, Oh?

Is Washington using Doolittle? Or is his contract up?

3 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

St Louis is the most interesting to me because its a good team who will get a lot of save opps. Nicasio, Rosenthal, Oh?

Is Washington using Doolittle? Or is his contract up?

I think we can rule Rosenthal out since he has TJ injury.

On 9/30/2017 at 2:07 AM, The Big Bat Theory said:

I want to know about the situation in St Louis next year.  Rosenthal is out all next year isn't he?  Will Oh start out as closer?  They traded for Nicasio and he has done well.  What is his contract and status?

Other teams I want to know about include the Angels and Minnesota.  Do they stay with their current closers?  I'd ask about Texas but apparently they have gone off grid on the concept of closer.

Closers going by divisions?  I'll take the easy one.  The whole AL East will remain the same I'd say unless Britton still has some physical issues.  But Kimbrell, Chapman, Colome (leads AL in Saves) and Osuma should be back along with Britton.  Yes people are always saying the Rays will trade Colome but I'll believe it when I see it.

Oh is a free agent and wont be closer or even a cardinal. Rosie is gone 2017. Nicasio is a free agent and both sides have shown interest in a contract.  He made 3.7 last year. 

I could not tell you who's closing for cards but it probably will be in house with names like *Sandy Alcantara* being someone to watch. Nicasio would be my guess to start but won't finish as closer. Don't really expect FA like Davis or Holland that's not the cardinals way usually on bullpen. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, parrothead said:

Both?  KC success in recent years was not just the great closer, but 2-3 closer types at the backend.  

It is possible they keep Minor in the bullpen, but I still think they go back to Herrera as the closer.  That's all that really matters.

On 10/2/2017 at 6:29 AM, AnonymousRob said:

Is Rodney a FA?

Yes and he will be that guy signed by some team who has an upside young guy most of us on this board will be high on as a potential closer, then here comes Fernando to block the path.  

• Like 2

[Hey, maybe let's leave the fashion critique to Vogue Magazine or something and focus on fantasy baseball, guys.]

[A few more comments removed.  Let's try this again, more explicitly this time: enough with the off topic chatter.  There are plenty of places on the Internet where you can complain about Fernando Rodney's style choices.  This isn't one of them.  If you see someone making these comments and feel the need to respond to them, please just use the "Report post" feature instead, because your response is just going to get deleted as part of the clean-up process.  This is the last warning before handing out vacation time.]

On 10/4/2017 at 10:37 AM, parrothead said:

Yes and he will be that guy signed by some team who has an upside young guy most of us on this board will be high on as a potential closer, then here comes Fernando to block the path.  

The new Kevin Gregg