osb_tensor

Robbie Ray 2018 Outlook

58 minutes ago, OaksterDan said:

In H2H points where the Ks could potentially offset the runs/dingers, it might be worth the gamble.  Otherwise the only reason to start him today is if you're a masochist.

Fixed.

• Haha 2

Hey with all the negativity in this thread guy deserves a hand for a half decent performance in a nightmare scenario. I think there’s still some performance left in his arm this yr 

• Like 1

Halfway point of the year- Buy or sell? Strikeout numbers have been good since returning from injury, but he's in 4 starts he's given up 0, 6, 4, and 2 earned runs, and he's only lasted 6 innings once. What are we thinking?

On 7/17/2018 at 2:06 AM, sharpee said:

buy low if posisble

Why?

• Like 1

Getting touched by the Rockies on the road is a little concerning.

On 7/21/2018 at 12:31 AM, 2ndCitySox said:

Why?

He has a 3.83 xFIP and a 3.66 SIERA and a K/9 over 12.  His GB% is up too and his walk rate is close to last year.  Unfortunately his HR rate is up.   He is not this bad - but he could be more like top 25-30 ROS rather than top 20.  Cautiously optimistic here. 

Edited by mtw02

16 minutes ago, mtw02 said:

He has a 3.83 xFIP and a 3.66 SIERA and a K/9 over 12.  His GB% is up too and his walk rate is close to last year.  Unfortunately his HR rate is up.   He is not this bad - but he could be more like top 25-30 ROS rather than top 20.  Cautiously optimistic here. 

I am a Ray fan (had him last year, couldn't afford him this year) but his GB rate is down from last year and hasn't been improving, he's walking almost one more batter per 9 with a 4.7 BB rate which is awful for a starter and he's giving up 2 HR/9 which is a terrible combo with a BB rate that high. If you can afford to let him ride the bench until he figures things out might not be a bad buy low since his owners are likely done with him, but I wouldn't bank on him turning it around.

He did the same thing in 2016 where his peripherals didn't look too bad but he got bombed all season long. His FB velocity is down almost 1mph and his fastball pitch value is negative this year and it is his bread and butter pitch. Same with the slider. If guys are banging on his fastball he's in major trouble.

Edited by KrunK
  • Like 1

Does he have the worst command in the majors?  Through 1.1 innings he’s thrown 6 pitches straight into the dirt.

On 7/31/2018 at 3:21 PM, borindia said:

Dropped this POS.  Never again.

Wish I had followed your lead. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, kaesr said:

Wish I had followed your lead. 

I have no regrets with the way other pitchers have been performing this year (some FA pickups).

53 minutes ago, wallach17 said:

7 k's but also 4 walks through 4.1 IP, guy is frustrating as heck 

Yes.   

Considering acquiring him in a dynasty for next year though just on the chance that something clicks mechanically.  Because the raw stuff is sick.

Crickets in here lately but he's been quietly throwing to the tune of a 2.33 era for the past month

Last two months were strong with ERA 2.65 and 13.7 K/9 (!).  10 straight outings of 3 runs or less... but only 3 QS because of 5.9 BB/9 (!).  Just turned 27 so still young.  

In K/9 leagues, probably higher value. In QS leagues value probably goes down. At his likely price in rounds 10-12 might be worth the risk. 

I don't understand how a major league pitcher has no control over where his pitches go.  If he dropped the walk rate at all, he'd be great.  When I watched he'd lose his release point and miss by a mile.

20 hours ago, murraygd13 said:

I don't understand how a major league pitcher has no control over where his pitches go.  If he dropped the walk rate at all, he'd be great.  When I watched he'd lose his release point and miss by a mile.

I mean, he does have SOME control. He typically gets the ball to the catcher. If he had no control he'd be whizzing fastballs all over the field, into the stands, straight up in the air....so give him a little credit.

On 2018-10-12 at 12:30 PM, murraygd13 said:

Is it that he has no command?  I wonder if he along with other high k high walk guys like Chris Archer, Danny Salazar are simply wild or is their approach?  Are they trying to be too fine and paint the corners?