B&F

Ryan Zimmerman 2018 Outlook

This reminds me of a couple years ago when Votto was struggling.  His underlying numbers showed he was hitting the ball harder than ever, in fact close to tops in the league.  I ended up making a trade for him and he took off after that.  I looked brilliant (for once).  He's been a keeper for me since.  I have a couple guys struggling right now and I'm debating dropping them and cashing in on Zimmerman before others do.

I picked him up this morning because of the Freddie scare, hopefully last night was him breaking out of his funk.

On 4/19/2018 at 10:42 PM, shinoix said:

This reminds me of a couple years ago when Votto was struggling.  His underlying numbers showed he was hitting the ball harder than ever, in fact close to tops in the league.  I ended up making a trade for him and he took off after that.  I looked brilliant (for once).  He's been a keeper for me since.  I have a couple guys struggling right now and I'm debating dropping them and cashing in on Zimmerman before others do.

Even if Zimm is hitting the ball hard, he's useless in anything but deepers if he's a part-time player now.

I've cut loose. Have Yonder for 1st and can always pick him back up if he's playing more regularly again and hitting.

Yes he is hurt so you can drop him safely

Still clobbering the ball (soft/med/hard 15.5%/40.5%/44.0% -- exit velo 95.3, 5th in MLB -- 9.4 barrels/PA, T for 37th in MLB -- no plate discipline red flags). BABIP luck turned around some -- .280 with 4 HR & 10 RBI over last 13 games. Sitting today for "stiffness", and dropped in a couple of my leagues. I'm grabbing him everywhere he's available as flier with serious upside.

Edited by bdy1

8 minutes ago, bdy1 said:

Still clobbering the ball (soft/med/hard 15.5%/40.5%/44.0% -- exit velo 95.3, 5th in MLB -- 9.4 barrels/PA, T for 37th in MLB -- no plate discipline red flags). BABIP luck turned around some -- .280 with 4 HR & 10 RBI over last 13 games. Sitting today for "stiffness", and dropped in a couple of my leagues. I'm grabbing him everywhere he's available as flier with serious upside.

Yup real unlucky so far which is y I’m still holding. Some years though hitters have really unlucky years so who knows. 

Hoping this start is symptomatic of his lack of spring training. Still, he's been brutal.

I was looking at his launch angles on Baseball savant, and his launch angle was lower in 2017 than it was in 2016. How can that be if he was hitting more homers? If there was not an increase in launch angle, was he just barrelling it up more?

Fat Matt > Zimmerman.  If Martinez wants to keep winning, he lets Adams stay in the lineup as long as possible.  Zimm is done.

• Like 1

Might be premature, but I’m out as of today.  He said last year health was a big reason for his success.  He’s clearly not that this season.  

I know a lot of people have soured on him, but all his peripheral stats are good and hint towards bad luck. I bet that once Murphy and Eaton come back eventually this offense is gonna be rolling and Zimmerman will get his.

Anyone heard a timeframe on when he is expected back?   Haven't heard a thing if he's due back when he's eligible, or some time after...

sitting on waviers.. anyone thinking he might come back soon and contribute? worth an add?

Do we still care about him enough to note that he’s starting a rehab assignment soon? He’s sort of gone into oblivion for a couple months.

8 minutes ago, Caelum said:

Do we still care about him enough to note that he’s starting a rehab assignment soon? He’s sort of gone into oblivion for a couple months.

It's going to be very crowded in Washington after his return. 

Assuming Harper and Soto play nearly every day, and best case scenario that Murphy can play 2B consistently (no sure thing and he could steal ABs at 1B), you would still have four players for two spots (the OF spot that Harper and Soto don't take and 1B): Eaton, Taylor, Adams and Zim. 

And since Zim hits RH, he may find himself strictly playing against LH.

• Thanks 1

Can I be this dude in my next life? Takes off all of Spring Training cause they were worried about him getting hurt, gets hurt, now kid gloves so he won't get hurt again. His outlook has to be dicey at best for the second half, barring injuries that aren't his.

I won't count him out after that amazing August.  Probably would give him a shot