brockpapersizer

Michael Conforto 2018 Outlook

4 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

Personally outside of season ending injury, I wouldn't want to play in a league where a struggling star is just dropped. Not my type of fantasy baseball. Too easy and shallow.

That's what I said and I joined an active 16 team league. Conforto was dropped last week and just this morning I saw F Vazquez hit the wire.  Everyone panics in their own way I guess, so just stay on top of the wire and let them come to you.  No shame in that game.

• Like 1

Dropped in a 10 team, I'm not gonna argue it.

But dropped in a 16 team?! That's wild.  The next best guy on the waiver probably isn't even a full-time player.

Those of us in keepers it hurts the most. Cant even consider dropping so have to hold and eat the bench spot.Tough though when you have other struggling OFs (yes you Ozuna).

1 minute ago, swfcdan said:

Those of us in keepers it hurts the most. Cant even consider dropping so have to hold and eat the bench spot.Tough though when you have other struggling OFs (yes you Ozuna).

This creates an opportunity to buy low in a keeper if possible which is exactly what I did.  That’s a positive to his struggles in keeper formats. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, swfcdan said:

Just dropped him in a Keeper league.  He can be someone else's problem.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

46 minutes ago, DMurphy77 said:

Just dropped him in a Keeper league.  He can be someone else's problem.

You dropped a 25 year old coming off a great year in a keeper?? That’s how you lose in the long run bud. In keeper leagues patience is a must.  

1 minute ago, chud12 said:

You dropped a 25 year old coming off a great year in a keeper?? That’s how you lose in the long run bud. In keeper leagues patience is a must.  

Even in his "Breakout year" he still couldn't hit leftys.  Can't rely on him for weekly leagues since he'll be benched against any LHP.  Sometimes you have to just make a tough decision and move on,  Picked up Kevin Pillar in his place who will be useful immediately.

6 minutes ago, chud12 said:

Depends on how many keepers. To be fair he's never put together a full season due to injuries and Mets incompetence. And he's never hit lefties. I'm still rostering him but he is next man out the door. I've been playing this game for a long time, history is littered with guys with all the tools in the world but don't produce for one reason or another.  Talent doesn't win fantasy championship, production does.  I couldn't blame a manger for moving on at this point.

Edited by Rick Simon

he is probably droppable in 12 team mixed. As for Keeper Leagues yeah that depends on keeper settings. 

I actually like him Week 7 vs 6 Righties, I think everybody will be singing a different tune by next Sunday, I’m starting him Conconfidence

Wow the pendulum really swings in this thread. Shoulder injuries are tough and it takes time to get back to where you were. It looks like he's still seeing the ball well, he just needs some time imo. 

1 hour ago, DMurphy77 said:

Even in his "Breakout year" he still couldn't hit leftys.  Can't rely on him for weekly leagues since he'll be benched against any LHP.  Sometimes you have to just make a tough decision and move on,  Picked up Kevin Pillar in his place who will be useful immediately.

I guess if your trying to win now maybe I get dropping him if he wasn’t coming off shoulder surgery but Conforto is.  I’m rebuilding so I saw it as a perfect buy moment as he can stink for me all year if that’s the case. I still can’t agree on cutting Conforto given his age and circumstance, agree to disagree.  

Edited by chud12

16 minutes ago, chud12 said:

I guess if your trying to win now maybe I get dropping him if he wasn’t coming off shoulder surgery but Conforto is.  I’m rebuilding so I saw it as a perfect buy moment as he can stink for me all year if that’s the case. I still can’t agree on cutting Conforto given his age and circumstance, agree to disagree.  

25hr, .250avg  hitters can be had on the WW. He's not the next Springer. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BlueJaysIn2030 said:

25hr, .250avg  hitters can be had on the WW. He's not the next Springer. 

Odd projection.  He hit .333 through the minors and .279 last season.  Also 27 dongs in 373 ABs...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, En Votto Veritas said:

Odd projection.  He hit .333 through the minors and .279 last season.  Also 27 dongs in 373 ABs...

True that. 

But that was last year. Before shoulder surgery. 

My take on his value you guys can hold me to:

All health equal, Markakis > Conforto in 2018

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, En Votto Veritas said:

Is it? Just going off of what Fangraphs has posted: Steamer: .246, ZiPS 2.55

Like, pre-season I expected .270-.280 with 25-30 dingers. But that, imo, is his ceiling. So in a year where he's struggling I feel like he's barely replacement level. Not a stretch... he's hitting .200 in 90PA, barely hitting for power...

1 hour ago, Fantasy Baseball Geek said:

Wow the pendulum really swings in this thread. Shoulder injuries are tough and it takes time to get back to where you were. It looks like he's still seeing the ball well, he just needs some time imo. 

.200 is a powerful number. It can swing opinions. IMO you are correct. His bat will come around at some point. But nothing is left of the pink cloud of optimism that swallowed most of us up when he was crushing bombs off of minor leaguers in spring training.

I’m buying low in dynasties but don’t have great expections this season. 

0-5.

Struck out against a very hittable Wade Davis to end the game.  His power looks sapped.  He’s done.   The injury was too damaging psychologically.  He’ll be out of baseball by the end of 2019 season.  

What could have been. Shame.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

HOLY Shhhh!  send his butt to the minors to build some confidence because this beta doesn't know what the hell he's doing up here.

• Like 1

His first game he homered off Strasburg to left field. I was so encouraged.  What in the blue blazes happened since that day?

So much for the late round keeper value I thought I was getting in every damn league I’m in. Anyone see him in BP to report if the power is completely sapped or if the shoulder is causing timing issues on the swing??

31 minutes ago, FUM said:

His first game he homered off Strasburg to left field. I was so encouraged.  What in the blue blazes happened since that day?

It did bounce off the top of the wall, so he homered, but as barely as one could possibly homer. 

• Like 1