brockpapersizer

Michael Conforto 2018 Outlook

12 hours ago, chud12 said:

You dropped a 25 year old coming off a great year in a keeper?? That’s how you lose in the long run bud. In keeper leagues patience is a must.  

Or you find new keepers; with a higher ceiling and lower floor, of which there are probably 40-50 blooming right now and every year 

He shouldn't be playing. Came back too early.  He should have taken another month to build strength in his shoulder. 

• Like 2

On 5/4/2018 at 11:15 PM, JFS179 said:

It did bounce off the top of the wall, so he homered, but as barely as one could possibly homer. 

Michael hit what we call a light-to-no-homer

tumblr_ohagl8bfn81r0t7tgo1_1280.png

Edited by bcobb311
  • Like 3

On 2018-05-05 at 12:05 AM, bcobb311 said:

So much for the late round keeper value I thought I was getting in every damn league I’m in. Anyone see him in BP to report if the power is completely sapped or if the shoulder is causing timing issues on the swing??

Despite my sarcastic and cynical posts regarding Conforto’s power would suggest, it is there.  If you recall he homered in his rehab games back in March and was hitting bombs in practice.  In an interview the other day he said his timing is just way off which missing

all of spring training would explain.

Also during the game they mentioned he didn't pick up a bat for 8 months.  I think that has to mess with your timing and your swing in general.

He really should be in AAA getting his timing and swing down especially with the outfield depth the Mets have.

On 5/4/2018 at 5:57 PM, DrizzleOnTop said:

My take on his value you guys can hold me to:

Markakis > Conforto in 2018

Was a little surprised nobody argued this. Perhaps that says it all. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrizzleOnTop said:

Was a little surprised nobody argued this. Perhaps that says it all. 

I was too depressed to reply.

• Like 1

I don't know if it's been discussed in the thread -- I looked quickly and didn't see anything -- but the Mets beat writer said Conforto looks smaller this year.

It makes sense. But I didn't see any Rotoworld member point it out.

40 minutes ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

I don't know if it's been discussed in the thread -- I looked quickly and didn't see anything -- but the Mets beat writer said Conforto looks smaller this year.

Diabetes?

On 5/4/2018 at 1:18 PM, chud12 said:

You dropped a 25 year old coming off a great year in a keeper?? That’s how you lose in the long run bud. In keeper leagues patience is a must.  

You mean a great half of a year, followed by a major surgery? 

5 hours ago, jb_power said:

I was too depressed to reply.

It was the saddest thing I've ever seen.

He is far away from being a positive contributor. 

Maybe next year - he is lost. It could be a rust issue I have no idea but the fact is he has not been relevant for quite some time and when he was relevant it was a SSS.

1 hour ago, SuperJoint said:

He is far away from being a positive contributor. 

Maybe next year - he is lost. It could be a rust issue I have no idea but the fact is he has not been relevant for quite some time and when he was relevant it was a SSS.

I hope he can go down to AAA and find his swing.  He looks really lost out there.  He is under the ball on every swing.  I think it's more than just timing.  He needs to find his swing after not swinging for an extended time.  It seemed to work last time.  I hope they have the smarts to do it.  Lagares and Nimmo can fill in fine for him.

Maybe this is the start of something, going oppo. Is a great sign. 

No joke, I spent five minutes today contemplating posting 

"batting leadoff vs Homer bailey, let's go, today's the day "

Actually would've preferred a pulled jack. Fact it was off Homer at GA and didn't really hit it all that square.

But at least it something and a confidence builder, lets have a few more before you leave town Michael! 

(Watch him get benched today) 

1 hour ago, swfcdan said:

Actually would've preferred a pulled jack. Fact it was off Homer at GA and didn't really hit it all that square.

But at least it something and a confidence builder, lets have a few more before you leave town Michael! 

(Watch him get benched today) 

Both of his homers have been oppo wall scrappers. Power definitely isn't there yet. Hard hit rate is down from 41.6% to 31.5%. Interestingly soft contact is also down, so medium contact is up huge (38.2% to 53.7%). Given that his pull and contact rates are also up, this all all tells me that he's making excellent contact, but without the strength that he's had in past years.

Now, there's two ways this can go. Perhaps he can get stronger as he gets reps, but at a certain point, you have to wonder whether an offseason strength and conditioning program might be required to get back... or.. worst case... it never comes back (like AGon).

All we can do is sit back and wait to see how those contact numbers evolve. For example, May (7 days so SSS) is sitting back at 40% hard hit rate. We'll see if that progress can hold.

• Like 1

On 5/6/2018 at 2:16 PM, My Dinner With Andre said:

He is. He lost weight and the shoulder surgery took him out the gym.

On 5/4/2018 at 4:26 PM, chud12 said:

I guess if your trying to win now maybe I get dropping him if he wasn’t coming off shoulder surgery but Conforto is.  I’m rebuilding so I saw it as a perfect buy moment as he can stink for me all year if that’s the case. I still can’t agree on cutting Conforto given his age and circumstance, agree to disagree.  

The only problem with that idea is next year more than likely he still won't hit LHP, play for the Mets, and have playing time issues. Like you I have him in rebuild but unless there are some tangible improvements this year or keeps CF eligibility think I am gone. 

• Like 1

Is everyone taking a few steps back from the ledge now with that homer?  I parked him on my bench this week, and will continue to until he hits with some consistency.  The kid can really rake when he's on, and should not be dropped imo.  He hit 27 homers in 109 games last year.  You can't drop someone like that.

unless you have no bench or are in a 10 team league, I don't know how you drop him.  Bench him of course, but drop him?  I'm holding at least until the ASB.

41 minutes ago, dicka24 said:

He hit 27 homers in 109 games last year.  You can't drop someone like that.

Of course you can when there are plausible explanations for why he might not reach that level this year.  We've been over these several times, but to recap: (a) bad injury, (b) aggressive timetable coming back from said injury, (c) a steep decline in hard hit rate, (d) the homers he does have haven't been very well-struck balls.  Maybe he just needs to build his strength back up over time, but I don't see how you blame people for letting him do that in the waiver/FA pool.  I dropped him in my 15-teamer (5 bench slots) and he's still there for the taking, even after his homer last night.  A short track record of immense success needs to be discounted when both the numbers and our eyes are telling us he's not that guy right now.

• Like 1

Conf0-forto

Meh, I tried.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1