brockpapersizer

Michael Conforto 2018 Outlook

On 3/16/2018 at 12:01 PM, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Sounds like you are overthinking it.

I used to do that a lot when i first started fantasy sports too.

Last years stats are just to get an idea of his talent level and/or potential ceiling.

If you think he is an injury risk do not draft. I think he is recovering and reports say he looks good. With his upside when healthy he is certainly worth the risk

Overthought it I guess ?

3 minutes ago, jb_power said:

Are they still using 4 OFs for Mike?

They shouldn't right now. Hopefully in the second half. 

2 minutes ago, mevins31 said:

Conforto is going to get demoted to AAA, word on the street. Well, well, well

If "word on the street" is just a euphemism for the various reports originating from Joel Sherman, then this is not accurate.  The report is that the team is considering demoting him, not that he "is going to get demoted."

• Like 1

I don't think it would be the worst thing for him to get a couple weeks in Vegas. If I recall last time that happened he came back from a reassignment, he did well.

Hopefully it won't take as long for him to get back to being Goatforto as it did Brantley, but it's certainly possible.

It's a very serious injury to come back from.

It seems like this sort of "might get sent down" thing is part of the standard motivational toolbox that managers and GMs employ to get their younger players going.  Obviously Conforto's looked terrible aside from brief flashes of productivty, and if it is in fact injury-related, there's no reason to push him given the Mets are going nowhere this year.  Dynasty owners should rejoice if he does get sent down, and if you haven't dropped already, it might be a good time to make alternate OF arrangements.

• Like 1

I don't think a minor league stint will do anything because this isn't mental, IMO... he had a severe injury, can he physically swung the bat again? Sure. But does he have the same world class physical ability after that injury? Doubtful. 

This may be a lost year for him. Hopefully he can return to form at some point but his performance this far it's not the least bit surprising. 

• Like 1

Agree, when he had the injury it was predicted he would struggle even when returned. It’s the nature of the injury. Makes for an interesting buy low in dynasties

I think it's fair to speculate that his downturn is due to incomplete recovery from the dislocation.  He doesn't seem to have the same powerful line drive swing.  I see no reason to hold him unless he is sent down and you are in a 12+ team dynasty with NA (inactive) slots.  Even then I would go with a healthier option as I see no rational basis to predict in-season improvement with over a third of the season's stats in the books.

I think this is the Mets final straw before a send down. 4 straight righties in hitter friendly ballparks.Hopefully he snaps out of it, but if it doesn't I hope it coincides with La Potencia coming back(which is a longshot).

Edited by duke of queens

20 hours ago, StevieStats said:

I don't think a minor league stint will do anything because this isn't mental, IMO... he had a severe injury, can he physically swung the bat again? Sure. But does he have the same world class physical ability after that injury? Doubtful. 

This may be a lost year for him. Hopefully he can return to form at some point but his performance this far it's not the least bit surprising. 

I agree it shouldn't be surprising. I'm not a doctor but starting  a season coming off serious shoulder injury is quite a bit of risk for a hitter. We've seen it over and over again now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Big League Choo said:

Please let this be the start of a streak. My team needs Goatforto

Came up in his last AB and hit one 400 feet as well... caught at the wall, but just missed a 2 home run game. Let's see if he can put a sustained hot streak together now.

• Like 1

Heard old Michael got ahold of one tonight. Really happy for you guys. saw it was 8th homer of the year. Feels like he has about 11 total hits doesn’t it

10 hours ago, Big League Choo said:

Please let this be the start of a streak. My team needs Goatforto

He will go 0-5 next game. Always does after u think he’s gonna turn a corner 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, phisouza33 said:

He will go 0-5 next game. Always does after u think he’s gonna turn a corner 

I do think he turns it around eventually. Hopefully this is the start, as you said he’s teased us a few times this year. 

8 HRs before the all star break. Not too bad. 

His average is not where we would like it to be but neither is Bryce Harper.

Still a lot of season left to be played.

I agree with that he could have a strong second half ( no doubting his talent when healthy ) but being 104 outfielder on the player rater is pretty bad. 

heading to coors for four games next week.  that usually helps pull guys out of slumps (see goldschmidt).

On 6/15/2018 at 1:53 PM, herschel said:

heading to coors for four games next week.  that usually helps pull guys out of slumps (see goldschmidt).

Facing multiple lefties at Coors though.  I picked up Conforto after an owner just released him.  Should minimal power be expected due to recovery from the Shoulder injury?