Sign in to follow this  
nbafan_123

Ricky Seals-Jones 2017 Season Outlook

On 11/20/2017 at 9:50 AM, nbafan_123 said:

Anything to see here? If Gabbert remains the starter does he have Red zone upside? 

No idea, but CBS has him eligible at every position...

Might give him a look

3 catches so far today and another TD... if you need a TE I dont see why you wouldn't pick this guy up.  He should/could have some keeper value as well. 

1 hour ago, ESquared said:

As an Engram owner, I'm certainly putting some FAAB on this guy. 

My thoughts exactly! Anybody tuned into his games lately and can tell us more?

I'm liking him. They don't have much else there on the Cards. I think he is a dynasty prospect though. He won't be helping anyone win their championships this season I don't think.

15 hours ago, devaster said:

I'm liking him. They don't have much else there on the Cards. I think he is a dynasty prospect though. He won't be helping anyone win their championships this season I don't think.

If you don't have one of the 3 or 4 elite TEs, I'd take a strong look at Seals-Jones. The chemistry between him and Gabbert is undeniable. It's not just checkdowns he's throwing to him. They've been working together on the 3rd string / scout team all year long. Some nice back shoulder fades which you need lots of chemistry to pull off. For his size he looks so fast and fluid. Definitely adding him for my playoff run.

3 minutes ago, frog34 said:

If you don't have one of the 3 or 4 elite TEs, I'd take a strong look at Seals-Jones. The chemistry between him and Gabbert is undeniable. It's not just checkdowns he's throwing to him. They've been working together on the 3rd string / scout team all year long. Some nice back shoulder fades which you need lots of chemistry to pull off. For his size he looks so fast and fluid. Definitely adding him for my playoff run.

I might be doing the same.  TE remains the most aggravating position in FF.

Picked him up last week grasping for straws at TE. I'm starting him next week since I can't stomach any more goose eggs from Fleener. 

The lesson I learned this season is that I have to reach for a top 5 TE in next years draft.  

54 minutes ago, Naboo said:

The lesson I learned this season is that I have to reach for a top 5 TE in next years draft.  

The top 5 before the season were Gronk, Kelce, Olsen, Reed, and Graham, still 40% chance of drafting a bust.

I have no plans on reaching for a top 5 TE - as pointed out Olsen got hurt and Reed is always hurt.  How many bad games have Gronk, Kelce and Reed put up?

25 minutes ago, oban14 said:

I have no plans on reaching for a top 5 TE - as pointed out Olsen got hurt and Reed is always hurt.  How many bad games have Gronk, Kelce and Reed put up?

Gronk was a third round pick drafted alongside WR's like Hilton, Pryor, Allen and DT. RB available at that time were Miller, Hyde and McCaffrey.

Gronk was definitely not a reach this year at the third round. Most years in the past he was 1-2 and wasn't worth the risk. If Gronk was a WR, he'd be a low-end WR1.

Next year it'll be Ertz in the 2nd maybe 3rd. And at that consistency and importance in the Eagle's offense, he'll be a good value.

That being said, I'll put a minimum bid on Seals-Jones, but not wasting my priority on him going into the playoffs. I'll gladly pick him up if he's a FA though.

Edited by TheLegacy

Last time I owned Gronk he went on IR a week or two after I traded for him.

Last time I owned Reed he was hurt constantly and I had to keep him and VD.

Gronk went at the top of the second in my league.  Not sure where Ertz will go but I'm not willing to pay what other people are.  I feel the same way about QBs.  

1 minute ago, oban14 said:

Last time I owned Gronk he went on IR a week or two after I traded for him.

Last time I owned Reed he was hurt constantly and I had to keep him and VD.

Gronk went at the top of the second in my league.  Not sure where Ertz will go but I'm not willing to pay what other people are.  I feel the same way about QBs.  

Yeah, second round is way too high. I'm in 5 leagues and he typically went around the 2/3 turn. Never early 2nd. Yahoo ADP buried him in the third round, so that's probably why.

I'll take the risk on Gronk in the third round with the GOAT throwing him the ball. Every damn time.  

26 minutes ago, oban14 said:

I agree with @TheLegacy.  There are busts at every position, and the "top" TE's didn't cost you that high of a draft pick.  Gronk went in the 2nd in my league right around busts like Dez and Hilton.  Kelce went in the 3rd after Pryor and Dalvin Cook.  The next group of TE's off the board went in the 5th round, along with a whole bunch of busts at other positions like Snead, Benjamin, Woodhead, Edelman, Watkins, Abdullah, etc, etc.

Reed is the only TE I'd say should have raised red flags for owners with his injury history.  Not drafting a TE because Olsen got hurt is as silly as not drafting a WR because OBJ got hurt or not drafting a RB because DJ got hurt.  It's football and injuries are plentiful.  I could see avoiding TE's if they had a higher bust rate just based on unpredictability in their usage or effectiveness, but every other position seems to bust at about the same rate.  The key is just picking the right ones, and getting a little lucky.

As for Seals-Jones, wish I picked him up last week when I could for free.  Thought he was just a flash in the pan, but if Gabbert keeps the job then it seems like they have great chemistry.  If Stanton takes back over then I think Gresham is the play again, but given Gabbert's success he should keep the job now.

Besides being the COUSIN of ERIC DICKERSON... Ricky Seals-Jones went to..... Sealy High School.. in Sealy, TX

:blink:

Where do we rank him with the other borderline TE1/TE2 guys that could be out there on the waiver wire still?

Witten, Cook, Hooper, Henry, and Kroft... to name a few.  It just seems incredibly difficult to chase TE production, especially when the TE is very young since the position is so difficult (see: Hooper and Henry).

Edited by ap0calypse

If he's a cheap pick up then I say go for it, but in doing some research on this guy, he could be a flash in the pan. The college scouting on him revealed a guy who has trouble separating from coverage, slow off the line, lacks bulk, etc. I haven't had time to watch any of the Cardinals' games, but it would be good to know if just beating zone coverage or if he had actually improved his short area quicks and was able to beat man coverage.

45 minutes ago, pikerbkb said:

If he's a cheap pick up then I say go for it, but in doing some research on this guy, he could be a flash in the pan. The college scouting on him revealed a guy who has trouble separating from coverage, slow off the line, lacks bulk, etc. I haven't had time to watch any of the Cardinals' games, but it would be good to know if just beating zone coverage or if he had actually improved his short area quicks and was able to beat man coverage.

He was too slow to separate at WR, especially against athletic SEC CBs. That's the reason he bulked up and switched to TE in the pros. For a TE he is pretty fast and fluid along with his size. He's lining up outside quite a lot, which is very rare in the Bruce Arians offense, so they must see something in him. Obviously Gabbert likes him.

What do you guys think about him?

So far he's gotten 11 targets on 25 snaps over the last 2 weeks which is pretty insane. Those targets aren't just empty targets either as they've obviously translated into great production going 7/126/3.

The downside here is that he's only played 25 snaps the last 2 weeks which amounts to just 14% and 23% of available snaps. Also his current rate of .44 targets per snap is unsustainable as the leading receiver in targets last year, Mike Evans, topped out at a rate of .18 targets per snap, so clearly his snap count has to increase for him to continue the productivity. Another downside is that Arians isn't the best about giving rookies playing time as he let David Johnson ride the bench for most of his rookie year before he was forced to make him a workhorse due to injuries.

So what do you guys say, flash in the pan or the next great converted receiving TE?

I'm liking what I see with this guy. I'm borderline on the verge of making the playoffs and I've wasted enough weeks and potential points at TE position keeping Brate. Dropping Brate for Seals-Jones - hoping I can get him with the 6th WW pick!

21 hours ago, addicted2ff said:

What do you guys think about him?

So far he's gotten 11 targets on 25 snaps over the last 2 weeks which is pretty insane. Those targets aren't just empty targets either as they've obviously translated into great production going 7/126/3.

The downside here is that he's only played 25 snaps the last 2 weeks which amounts to just 14% and 23% of available snaps. Also his current rate of .44 targets per snap is unsustainable as the leading receiver in targets last year, Mike Evans, topped out at a rate of .18 targets per snap, so clearly his snap count has to increase for him to continue the productivity. Another downside is that Arians isn't the best about giving rookies playing time as he let David Johnson ride the bench for most of his rookie year before he was forced to make him a workhorse due to injuries.

So what do you guys say, flash in the pan or the next great converted receiving TE?

Im guessing many here are like myself and are heartbroken Engram owners. The snap % is the only thing holding me back from grabbing this guy as insurance. Does anyone who follows the cardinals have any insight on if the snaps are expected to increase?