dfstout

Jarrett Allen 2017-18 Season Outlook

He is only a 4 in the sense he is fast enough to guard a 4. Not loving his offense and less boards as a 4

Edited by rob0403
  • Like 1

On 12/7/2017 at 5:56 PM, bhkim814 said:

Nets fan here.

Why are Okafor owners talking as if Atkinson wouldn't split minutes between Allen and Okafor? Someone said he is a must pick up in 6 team leagues lol

According to BBM, Okafor was a 105th ranked player in his best season playing 30 minutes a game. Yes a top 100 candidate is helpful but there are waiver wire candidates that are often top 70 to 100 for several weeks. When there's hype, amateurs go insane with their comments.

I honestly wish Okafor can teach Allen some post moves cuz Allen has higher potential. Regardless I think JAllens minutes will go up by the allstar break, while okafor will play more minutes than him in the beginning. 55:45 split Okafor and Allen imo.

I think at worst they are going to split minutes.  I can see Allen getting more MPG though for various reasons.  I can see Allen deployed at PF on the court with Okafor and then at C in place of Okafor.  Okafor has never been able to stay healthy.  I doubt he would ever be on a long leash for minutes.  I expect his minutes to ALWAYS be watched and his health ALWAYS causing coaches to use caution.  

On top of that there is a decent chance Allen just turns out to be the better player, perhaps forcing his way on the floor at PF or just in place of Okafor.  

I definitely see Okafor as the riskier of the two players.

In all honesty I am having a hard time deciding between Josh Bell, Bam Adebayo and Jarrett Allen in Dynasty format.  I know Bell has almost a cult following and he can be a fantastic player.  Bam is showing a ton.  But I think too many people are selling short on Allen after the Nets acquired Okafor and I think that's a huge mistake.  I actually don't think the naysayers calling for the end to Allen's "career" (heh that's what it sounds like from some Journo's) are completely wrong in their assessment.  I really don't like Allen any less now that the Nets have Okafor.  

And so far that seems to ring true as far as both players minutes so far.  But then Okafor getting DNP is no surprise or shock really.  It seems to be the foundation of his young career.  And Atikinson has come out and said as much that he "would consider playing Allen and Okafor together". 

If Okafor can stay healthy I think that's the most likely end result longer term.  If he can't then Allen obviously gets the majority of C work.

• Thanks 1

On 12/30/2017 at 2:10 PM, Manos A said:

To be honest, i havent watch him play much, but i am not considering him as a PF, he cant pass and he cant make the mid range jumper. He is long fast and athletic in general. So, i am not sure its a great idea to pair him with Okafor as their frontcourt. Probably their are just gonna do this as a test to see what is gonna happen, because they want to play them both as much as they can.

I think Allen will slowly improve at the 4.  I expect his shooting to improve if he puts in the work.  There is nothing intrinsically bad about his shot.  He has a lot to learn offensively, but the raw skill is there for him to utilize.  Both offensively and defensively.  I also am expecting Allen to ultimately get more MPG than Okafor in total.  And I fully expect Okafor to miss his share of games season to season.  Hopefully no more long term, but I can't say I'm optimistic.  I think Allen is guaranteed a lot of minutes just because of that factor.  On top of that, Allen could surpass Okafor as a player eventually. 

4 hours ago, brakeyawself said:

I think at worst they are going to split minutes.  I can see Allen getting more MPG though for various reasons.  I can see Allen deployed at PF on the court with Okafor and then at C in place of Okafor.  Okafor has never been able to stay healthy.  I doubt he would ever be on a long leash for minutes.  I expect his minutes to ALWAYS be watched and his health ALWAYS causing coaches to use caution.  

On top of that there is a decent chance Allen just turns out to be the better player, perhaps forcing his way on the floor at PF or just in place of Okafor.  

I definitely see Okafor as the riskier of the two players.

In all honesty I am having a hard time deciding between Josh Bell, Bam Adebayo and Jarrett Allen in Dynasty format.  I know Bell has almost a cult following and he can be a fantastic player.  Bam is showing a ton.  But I think too many people are selling short on Allen after the Nets acquired Okafor and I think that's a huge mistake.  I actually don't think the naysayers calling for the end to Allen's "career" (heh that's what it sounds like from some Journo's) are completely wrong in their assessment.  I really don't like Allen any less now that the Nets have Okafor.  

And so far that seems to ring true as far as both players minutes so far.  But then Okafor getting DNP is no surprise or shock really.  It seems to be the foundation of his young career.  And Atikinson has come out and said as much that he "would consider playing Allen and Okafor together". 

If Okafor can stay healthy I think that's the most likely end result longer term.  If he can't then Allen obviously gets the majority of C work.

Meant Jordan Bell.  Not Josh.  Multisport name confusion.

10 points in the first half. 

career high is 12.

I'm actually excited to see him alongside Okafor.   Allen is going to be a pretty jive turkey in this league. 

im so itching to pick up allen, but okafor entering the picture and atkinson being obsessed with tyler zeller makes it hard to for me to make the move...

13 minutes ago, rameshdataya said:

im so itching to pick up allen, but okafor entering the picture and atkinson being obsessed with tyler zeller makes it hard to for me to make the move...

If it makes you feel better, Zeller is playing 12 mins today while Allen is at 20. Planning to pick up both Allen and Okafor.

I hope at the least that this ends up being an Adams + Kanter situation. Allen being the defensive starting center, with Okafor being the offensive big off the bench. That way, Allen can produce serviceable, fantasy-friendly stats the way Adams did last season.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

have to love that +/-                 Allen +14 Zeller -12             keep him in coach, keep him in

zeller had 4 fouls and allen still only played 23 mins :/

Just now, jehob said:

zeller had 4 fouls and allen still only played 23 mins :/

a double double in 23 minutes.  haha the dude is a stud. 

4 hours ago, MynameisMudd said:

a double double in 23 minutes.  haha the dude is a stud. 

I think it's a little bit more like.. he's a  stud  lol. (wish there was an even smaller font lol)

Hopefully he can become a regular one sometime soon :)

Edited by DavidbivaD
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, DavidbivaD said:

I think it's a little bit more like.. he's a  stud  lol. (wish there was an even smaller font lol)

Hopefully he can become a regular one sometime soon :)

He doesn't need to be a fantasy God to be a stud,  if you watch the games,  he always changes the game when he's in there.  He's a stud,  even now.  People in dynasty leagues have an underrated gold mine on their hands

Hopefully this time I've signed him, and will be able to justify keeping him rostered for a while, maybe even start him here or there. He is one of these upside guys like a Richaun Holmes, Dwight Powell, Poeltl, etc., could do good damage if given the right role with consistent PT.

2 minutes ago, DoctorLove said:

Allen getting the start tonight.... first ever... time to get him?

I just ran and added him without even checking the validity of your post. That's how excited I am. lol

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

He a better add than boban?

I think he is. Boban never seemed to be starting material, in my opinion. I assume either DJ stays, or they get another center for him. Allen seems to be the starting center for the foreseeable future.

does he offer more value than john henson ROS ? 

2 minutes ago, ThisIsSparta said:

I think he is. Boban never seemed to be starting material, in my opinion. I assume either DJ stays, or they get another center for him. Allen seems to be the starting center for the foreseeable future.

Cool thanks! Yeah I dropped boban for him. Got time since boban doesn't play til Saturday anyways so that gives Allen 2 games to show us what he has as a starter

9 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

Cool thanks! Yeah I dropped boban for him. Got time since boban doesn't play til Saturday anyways so that gives Allen 2 games to show us what he has as a starter

Same here. Dropped Dedmon for him in my 16-teamer. Hope he balls out!

Dammit. Watched the game. Allen seemed to be playing fairly well, had energy and hustle, and was a perfect 6/6. Yet in the fourth, he got a quick hook for Okafor, probably to get some offense. Okafor put in a good effort and looked okay, despite the 2/7. Pulled down 13 boards, and he looked a bit more polished. Still, the quick hook confused me. Okafor closed the game and got 25 min vs Allen's 20.

This better not be a confusing 2-center thing...just when Zeller finally got out of the mix.

Edit - Plus, potential revenge game for Okafor tomorrow. Tempted to pick him up, but might stick w/ Allen.

Edited by hoop
  • Like 1