dfstout

Jarrett Allen 2017-18 Season Outlook

Recommended Posts

19 hours ago, MWon said:

@XOrad10:  Yeaaaah, was watching this last night and was gonna post it.

 

Honestly though, Allen's not that impressive as a baller, at least from the eye test in the highlights on the offensive end.

I think he's just REALLY good at cutting and getting closer to the basket as other players focus on the ball-handler (e.g. Levert or Dinwiddie).  

Most of his attempts are basically uncontested dunks/layups and the occasional hook.  I do see he's got SOME range, which is nice if they ever play two Cs together.

The downside is that he's got the Okafor/Embiid penchant for lowering the ball in the post if he ever offensively rebounds or attempts to post up (which rarely happens), so he gets stripped fairly easily.

 

Still, I grabbed him every league so I'm clamoring to watch him play more.  Levert should be back, so more alley oops would be nice, though I still think defenses will wise up on defending him as a roller or cutter.

 

Have to agree after watching vids of him, but as now I got him as thee hottest pick-up. We'll have to see what goes after the dead line. If it's anywhere close to his last game, that's alright by me. Shoots good FT% and FG% , so that's a plus. In a 12-teamer, I really don't see anything out there  worth rostering at the moment, pending trades included. Getting to drop Bullock if he don't give me some defensive stats next game. Lot of hype around him which I can't see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yup.  You simply HAVE to grab him.  He's not only getting really easy buckets, but he's got the confidence of his coach and now that Zeller's out of the picture (finally) and Okafor can't really play more than 24 minutes without getting winded, I can imagine about 26 minutes or so, which is more than enough time for him to produce.  I don't expect THAT much scoring or rebounding, but watching his games, I think he's gonna be excellent for efficiency and for stocks.

 

In a 12-teamer?  There should be quite a few pickups given the landscape of the NBA rn (injuries and trades).  I mean, are Portis, Miro, and Chriss all gone (just listing a few PFs).  Anyway, Allen should be rostered for the opportunity.  Looks real goofy at times but I have to agree that he does have a real feathery touch, meaning lots of the shots that are short or off just manage to bounce in if they can catch the rim.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, kev777zero said:

I dumped all my Chrisses for Allens in all my leagues the second it was announced that Allen was starting. I’ve been high on Chriss as well but Allen’s upside is slightly higher - he could end up being Waiver wire year pick ups like Turner 2yrs ago or Whiteside/Gobert 3yrs ago

Allen doesn't have the blocks upside like those guys do, but he's making himself a very exciting 2nd half guy and a must own. 

I think if you expect him to be like Whiteside/Gobert, you'll be disappointed.

But Allen should still kick lots of a** for us rest of this season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, MWon said:

Yup.  You simply HAVE to grab him.  He's not only getting really easy buckets, but he's got the confidence of his coach and now that Zeller's out of the picture (finally) and Okafor can't really play more than 24 minutes without getting winded, I can imagine about 26 minutes or so, which is more than enough time for him to produce.  I don't expect THAT much scoring or rebounding, but watching his games, I think he's gonna be excellent for efficiency and for stocks.

 

In a 12-teamer?  There should be quite a few pickups given the landscape of the NBA rn (injuries and trades).  I mean, are Portis, Miro, and Chriss all gone (just listing a few PFs).  Anyway, Allen should be rostered for the opportunity.  Looks real goofy at times but I have to agree that he does have a real feathery touch, meaning lots of the shots that are short or off just manage to bounce in if they can catch the rim.


Even in 10-teamers, I believe Allen deserves a spot. I am keeping Portis over him for now, but Allen's role is more secure. While Allen will keep his 24-26 minutes ROS, situation with Portis has to be monitored until trade deadline.

But you put it perfectly. 
Allen's Efficiency and stocks vs Portis' Points, 3s, ft%s (KLove-lite)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Eh, I think Portis will be fine.  The Bulls should let him take the majority of backup PF/C minutes even if RoLo stays put.  Really cool that the Bulls can run lineups where literally every player is a strong threat from the outside.

 

Heh, yeahhhh Allen's definitely not gonna be the Whiteside/Gobert tier, but he's got a LOT of similarities to those two (incredibly efficient scorer and shot blocker, great athlete, were "discovered" by teams decimated by injuries, FINALLY was able to unleash his upside midseason to the delight of fantasy owners, and could end up being a stellar fantasy player).  The main differences I see are that Whiteside/Gobert are ravenous rebounders.  That's not Allen's style.  On the other hand, Allen's stroke looks great.  I still don't think he's gonna be hitting jumpers consistently or frequently this season, but he's far better than those two in terms of range and shooting.  If you wanna compare him to someone, I think of a lesser Myles Turner (constantly improving shot, rim-protector, and weaker positional rebounder).

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, MWon said:

Eh, I think Portis will be fine.  The Bulls should let him take the majority of backup PF/C minutes even if RoLo stays put.  Really cool that the Bulls can run lineups where literally every player is a strong threat from the outside.

 

Heh, yeahhhh Allen's definitely not gonna be the Whiteside/Gobert tier, but he's got a LOT of similarities to those two (incredibly efficient scorer and shot blocker, great athlete, were "discovered" by teams decimated by injuries, FINALLY was able to unleash his upside midseason to the delight of fantasy owners, and could end up being a stellar fantasy player).  The main differences I see are that Whiteside/Gobert are ravenous rebounders.  That's not Allen's style.  On the other hand, Allen's stroke looks great.  I still don't think he's gonna be hitting jumpers consistently or frequently this season, but he's far better than those two in terms of range and shooting.  If you wanna compare him to someone, I think of a lesser Myles Turner (constantly improving shot, rim-protector, and weaker positional rebounder).

Thanks for this analysis, it's great. My main worry is the return of RHJ, but I think as long as he is a start he will be fine. I have RHJ and I am actually thinking of switching them, Allen seems like the type of player who silently helps you without hurting you in any categories.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would you guys use your last move for the week on Allen or save it for a "better" FA cause of a trade? This isn't an AC question but more of a general question. Do you guys see a higher +EV FA being available before Sunday?

Edited by justblazedawg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, justblazedawg said:

Would you guys use your last move for the week on Allen or save it for a "better" FA cause of a trade? This isn't an AC question but more of a general question. Do you guys see a higher +EV FA being available before Sunday?

 

Depends on the league size.

 

14+ definitely

12 team. Most likely

10 team? I personally would. But again there may be another trade this weekend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/2/2018 at 10:54 AM, El_Chingon said:

 

This is simply not true.  He has range out to 15 feet (look at :15 second mark of video above).  He also can hit floaters in the lane and has very advanced footwork for a young big.  He is clearly NOT simply a pick and roll big.

 

 

I think Allen might have more skills than he's being allowed to show but at the moment his meal ticket is PnR, defensive effort and hustle rebounding.  I think that's what Atkinson wants him in there for.  It doesn't help that Brooklyn is a perimeter orientated team and they don't really like to post up at all (although RHJ seem to love to do it).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i’m missing out on him. He’s on waiver until Saturday and I have zero acquisition left for the week ??‍♂️ 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, ComeOnAndSlam said:

 

Mozgov is on the verge of tears and cannot bear to look at Allen's elite FG efficiency.

 

 

Eh, Mozzy's probably not too upset with that bloated contract of his.  

Allen's probably wondering, "When the hell did I miss two shots?!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ComeOnAndSlam said:

 

Mozgov is on the verge of tears and cannot bear to look at Allen's elite FG efficiency.

 

 

images (13).jpeg

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

he had a great game but maaaaan all he has to do is jump!! smh he could be an elite shot blocker but he literally does not contest any shots. him and WCS are soft. they wont even put their hands up its so strange cause they are so talented

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ThottiePippen said:

he had a great game but maaaaan all he has to do is jump!! smh he could be an elite shot blocker but he literally does not contest any shots. him and WCS are soft. they wont even put their hands up its so strange cause they are so talented

Difference is .....Allen is 19 and WCS is 23.  Imagine Allen with 2 more years of beefing up and learning the game.  Yikes. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was gonna just stream him, but I've gotta hold now. Might drop Lopez instead. Think he has way more upside ROS

Edited by ak427
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...