brockpapersizer

Yoan Moncada 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2019.]

Message added by tonycpsu

2 hours ago, jfazz23 said:

Redsox look like Geniuses right now...

As a White Sox fan, this is worrisome, Moncada is struggling so bad. If rumors are to be believed the White Sox had a chance to have Benetendi instead of Moncada. 

That said, this deal is NOT a finished product and they got other pieces for Sale. Moncada is still only 23, shows plus speed, excellent power, and defense, there is time and room to grow. Michael Kopech is clearly CLEARLY ready for the big league rotation, of late he has been dominating AAA and has honed in his control. The Sox are keeping him down on the farm for service time. Basabe is still on the farm as a very good 21 year old prospect in AA, though his ascent will be a bit more of a challenge. However, he has all the tools you need. Still, at this time he is clearly TBD. 

You want REAL MEN of stupid genius? Sox traded Fernando Tatis, Jr. for James Shields. If the Sox still had Tatis, they'd probably have 3 of the top 5 prospects in all of baseball, with Kopech, Eloy Jimenez, and Tatis. I'd say the other 2 top prospects are #1 Vlad Jr....who fills out the top 5 (Whitley, Robles, Bichette, etc) is a debate in my view. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, kwolf68 said:

As a White Sox fan, this is worrisome, Moncada is struggling so bad. If rumors are to be believed the White Sox had a chance to have Benetendi instead of Moncada. 

That said, this deal is NOT a finished product and they got other pieces for Sale. Moncada is still only 23, shows plus speed, excellent power, and defense, there is time and room to grow. Michael Kopech is clearly CLEARLY ready for the big league rotation, of late he has been dominating AAA and has honed in his control. The Sox are keeping him down on the farm for service time. Basabe is still on the farm as a very good 21 year old prospect in AA, though his ascent will be a bit more of a challenge. However, he has all the tools you need. Still, at this time he is clearly TBD. 

You want REAL MEN of stupid genius? Sox traded Fernando Tatis, Jr. for James Shields. If the Sox still had Tatis, they'd probably have 3 of the top 5 prospects in all of baseball, with Kopech, Eloy Jimenez, and Tatis. I'd say the other 2 top prospects are #1 Vlad Jr....who fills out the top 5 (Whitley, Robles, Bichette, etc) is a debate in my view. 

As a jays fan,I envy the White Sox.  That tear down was a thing of beauty.  Moncada was the premier praospect in all of baseball when the trade was made.  He’s only 23! Even if it’s the wrong move in the long run,it was still the right one at the time.

• Like 2

Sox weren't going to resign Sale when his contract was up and weren't going to contend before then. So they had to trade him. They got the best one could hope for in return for Sale: the #1 overall prospect in baseball, an arm that is considered by many as the #1 pitching prospect in baseball, and a couple throw-ins. 

Even if only Kopech pans out, it's a win for the Sox. What good is having the best pitcher in baseball if you're only going to top out at 80-85 wins? 

Regarding Moncada's struggles, I think a huge part of it is his approach. He will rarely swing at anything not in his wheelhouse until he's down in the count. Even then he takes a ton of called third strikes on borderline pitches. Moncada is not the kind of hitter that can get away with being so selective. His contact skills just don't allow for it. He needs to be more aggressive. Oh. and he needs to stop trying to hit righthanded, too. He just can't do it. 

CY YOUNG FOR MOST STRIKEOUTS!

Seriously though.... they keep batting him lead off.... I guess they want him to beat records in most K in a season.

Edited by DJSatane

40 minutes ago, DJSatane said:

CY YOUNG FOR MOST STRIKEOUTS!

Seriously though.... they keep batting him lead off.... I guess they want him to beat records in most K in a season.

He’s batted leadoff once in the last 7 games.

9 minutes ago, Junkie Cosmonaut said:

He’s batted leadoff once in the last 7 games.

wow you right, must of been that one game I checked and vs the past I assumed they keep throwing him out there since his K been racking up at max rate.

What's Moncada's ceiling?  30/30 .270?  JoRam with less AVG? He's clearly toolsy as hell and still only 23, he definitely has time to still have an amazing career but obviously he has MASSIVE K's with no real signs of improvement. When he does make contact it's pretty elite. Still believe or have you guys given up?

On 8/16/2018 at 2:47 PM, Cesare13 said:

As a jays fan,I envy the White Sox.  That tear down was a thing of beauty.  Moncada was the premier praospect in all of baseball when the trade was made.  He’s only 23! Even if it’s the wrong move in the long run,it was still the right one at the time.

Jays have a good farm and some decent players on the major league roster.  

25 minutes ago, Ecofolux said:

What's Moncada's ceiling?  30/30 .270?  JoRam with less AVG? He's clearly toolsy as hell and still only 23, he definitely has time to still have an amazing career but obviously he has MASSIVE K's with no real signs of improvement. When he does make contact it's pretty elite. Still believe or have you guys given up?

for the heck with it even Jurickson Profar is finally having a decent year. no reason to give up on Moncada. he has the potential to be a top 10~20 hitter.

I tend to wait on top prospects for until 25.

8 hours ago, jhsong916 said:

for the heck with it even Jurickson Profar is finally having a decent year. no reason to give up on Moncada. he has the potential to be a top 10~20 hitter.

I agree.  To bad his D sucks.  Move him to third or CF I guess?

On 8/23/2018 at 10:53 PM, jhsong916 said:

In the dynasty league I am in, Moncada will not be eligible as a minor league player next year; so this offseason I will have to make a decision of either trade him (if he still has any value), or keep him and hope for the best. Very hard decision to come in a few months... What are the thoughts?

You have a shallow bench or something?  He’s young and it’s a dynasty league.  I don’t see the need to have to move him unless you get a really good offer.  Not every young player comes up and becomes a Juan Soto right away.

Patience.  Selling low would not be a good idea.

On 8/24/2018 at 5:41 AM, Dylanfan66 said:

I agree.  To bad his D sucks.  Move him to third or CF I guess?

His D has actually come along quite a bit, unlike his bat. But anyway he's going to be pushed off in a few years by Madrigal, who's a whiz at the position. To 3B I would think? CF will be patrolled by Robert, Gonzalez (sleeper alert), or Basabe by 2020. 

• Like 1

Dropped him for Wendle for the stretch run. The potential HR/SB combo is tantalizing, but I've been patient enough. Maybe next year, yoyo. 

22 hours ago, I like baseball said:

You have a shallow bench or something?  He’s young and it’s a dynasty league.  I don’t see the need to have to move him unless you get a really good offer.  Not every young player comes up and becomes a Juan Soto right away.

Patience.  Selling low would not be a good idea.

25 man roster and I usually keep only one bench spot for position players as I feel that having extra position players riding the pine ain't a good strategy. I have Baez and Scooter as my 2B. Yeah I know about the patience but need someone to reiterate that to me over and over again... lol.

So Moncada was 2/4 without a K last night... since he is no use for my team right now, all I am hoping is to see that improvement that we thought we saw during last year's stretch run. 

6 minutes ago, bjvance5 said:

Is Moncada being pushed to 3rd this year due to Madrigals presence?

Why are you posting in an old 2018 thread?