Weekday Warrior

Delino DeShields 2018 Outlook

All these positive comments I expected more than a .223 average and .630

ops.  What’s to actually like here?  And why isn’t he going to start losing start with Andrus back as they rotate guys around diamond.  He’s already hitting 9th in a mediocre lineup. What’s with the fluff?

1 minute ago, Cmilne23 said:

All these positive comments I expected more than a .223 average and .630

ops.  What’s to actually like here?  And why isn’t he going to start losing start with Andrus back as they rotate guys around diamond.  He’s already hitting 9th in a mediocre lineup. What’s with the fluff?

DeShields plays OF.  Andrus has no impact as far as his playing time.

4 minutes ago, billofwa said:

DeShields plays OF.  Andrus has no impact as far as his playing time.

Profar will move around diamond now.  He’ll start playing OF.  They talked about Gallo in CF?  Is there anyone else who can play CF on this team?

6 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

Profar will move around diamond now.  He’ll start playing OF.  They talked about Gallo in CF?  Is there anyone else who can play CF on this team?

DeShields came back early from injury and struggled. But he’s coming around. 15 BB/11 K over last 3 weeks. Last 2 weeks, .333, 10 BB/3 K, 11 runs, 5 SB.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

What’s to actually like here?

I'd say it's the ~40 SB and 95 R pace over the past two seasons that had people interested, and it's easy to dream on more if he figures things out at the plate.  Losing the leadoff spot hurts, but that profile is definitely mixed roto league viable.

4 minutes ago, tonycpsu said:

I'd say it's the ~40 SB and 95 R pace over the past two seasons that had people interested, and it's easy to dream on more if he figures things out at the plate.  Losing the leadoff spot hurts, but that profile is definitely mixed roto league viable.

That run pace isn’t holding up in 9 hole.  Guys with a mediocre hit tool who hit low in lineups aren’t very diserable IMO.  Mallex Smith has similar profile, although his SB rates blow, but 7-9 hitters in bad lineups who you just have to rely on for bags are the worst type of guys to own IMO.  But to each is their own.  League settings vary and come into play in this situation.  

Just now, Cmilne23 said:

That run pace isn’t holding up in 9 hole.  Guys with a mediocre hit tool who hit low in lineups aren’t very diserable IMO.  Mallex Smith has similar profile, although his SB rates blow, but 7-9 hitters in bad lineups who you just have to rely on for bags are the worst type of guys to own IMO.  But to each is their own.  League settings vary and come into play in this situation.  

He switched to the 9 hole TODAY. He was hitting leadoff, then 2nd. So all the “fluff” was before today’s lineup. We’ll see where he ends up.

• Like 1

Just now, Cmilne23 said:

He's not necessarily a 7-9 hitter though. He just batted 2nd the last several days before today. If he continues to keep the K rate down and can be reasonably productive he will not bat 9th anymore.

I don't think his current spot in the order is in cement - nor  is anyone's really.

We're also talking about the 9-spot in an AL lineup - he's going to lose some AB's hitting back there, but his per-AB stats shouldn't really change at all.  He's hitting on the wrap around with no pitcher spot to worry about, with Choo and Andrus coming up right after him.  I don't really care who hits before him because he's not an RBI guy to start with.

If he was hitting 7th or 8th I'd be a bit more bummed, but aside from the lost AB's he still has very good hitters following him.  And as was also pointed out already, it was one game.  Andrus has hit 3rd earlier in the year as well, and it's conceivable that he could end up there with Choo and DeShields batting 1st and 2nd.

The one who will be losing AB is Odor.  Deshield's may lose some here or there, but it doesn't sound very significant.  If you drafted Deshields, you drafted him for SB.  Anything else he provides is a bonus.  

• Like 1

He's a pretty streaky guy for a slap hitter. He had a nice streak before he was ice cold, and now he's getting hits all over the place again.

There's a chance they will move him back up to first or second at some point if he keeps rolling and gets himself back to what was expected of him. He's the everyday CF, so it's not like he still can't give us plenty of SBs no matter where he bats in the lineup.  He will only sit if he goes back to sucking.

He was originally the leadoff hitter. He hit his way out of it. He is now the #9 hitter. He can hit his way out of it

1 hour ago, SuperJoint said:

He was originally the leadoff hitter. He hit his way out of it. He is now the #9 hitter. He can hit his way out of it

Or he can hit a 2-run double in the 9th spot and make it moot (for one AB at least). :)

Seriously, you're right.  He can definitely hit his way out of it, especially if this isn't just a hot streak.

• Like 1

He seems to be in a pretty good groove right now.

He's back to batting leadoff. Stolen base, RBI, and run scored yesterday.

In the last 15 days he's 12/40 (.300), with 12 runs scored, 8 RBI, 6 strikeouts, 5 walks, and 4 stolen bases. I can get behind this type of production as my 4th OF.

Edited by NorthBoundTrain

6 minutes ago, NorthBoundTrain said:

He seems to be in a pretty good groove right now.

He's back to batting leadoff. Stolen base, RBI, and run scored yesterday.

In the last 15 days he's 12/40 (.300), with 12 runs scored, 8 RBI, 6 strikeouts, 5 walks, and 4 stolen bases. I can get behind this type of production as my 4th OF.

Not back to leading off though. Lead off yesterday with Choo getting the day off. Sometimes hits 2nd. Hitting 9th today. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Not back to leading off though. Lead off yesterday with Choo getting the day off. Sometimes hits 2nd. Hitting 9th today. 

Right, I should have said "at or near the top of the lineup", cus I just meant he's back to batting 1st or 2nd.

As superjoint said, he hit his way into the 9th spot; he can hit his way out of it. That's what I was referencing.

Since he was taken out of the 2-hole on the 18th and moved to 9th, he hasn't batted anything but 9th before Friday. He hasn't hit leadoff in a while.

AKA, this is a cause for optimism, unless you subscribe to handyandy86's theory that as long as he's not batting 65h or 7, it's okay to be batting last because he'll still have quality hitters behind him. 

Oddly enough, while he has been hitting better lately, he completely stopped running up until last night.  He was driving in runs, which was unexpected, but that's obviously not why any of us own(ed) him.  It shouldn't matter where he bats.  He can run plenty batting 9th.  If that is a sign he's going to start running regularly again, then I'll consider picking him back up (and obviously others will too).

1 hour ago, SuperJoint said:

Leading off tonight. This is an opportunity to get that spot back.

nevermind

38 minutes ago, SuperJoint said:

Alright - he blew this. 

1 SB in 2 weeks - bout done here.

I am now done.  Drafted him with my second non-keeper pick in my draft this season, only to cut him and pick him up several times.  Tonight was the last.  Going up against an average lefty at best and in the leadoff spot and he fails to do anything but score a run.  I picked him back up tonight because it seemed like a good opportunity all around for him and I had an open spot to fill after a trade, but I would have been better off saving the game played for somebody who actually is trying.  I question his effort based on his lack of running.

While I know the 40 or 50 SBs he was looking to get this season would be hard to do with the DL stint, you would think he would realize the only way he would have been able to achieve that is by actually running.  Even when he was hitting alright for a little while and getting on base, fooling us to pick him back up, he wasn't running much.  Makes little sense.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

I am now done.  Drafted him with my second non-keeper pick in my draft this season, only to cut him and pick him up several times.  Tonight was the last.  Going up against an average lefty at best and in the leadoff spot and he fails to do anything but score a run.  I picked him back up tonight because it seemed like a good opportunity all around for him and I had an open spot to fill after a trade, but I would have been better off saving the game played for somebody who actually is trying.  I question his effort based on his lack of running.

While I know the 40 or 50 SBs he was looking to get this season would be hard to do with the DL stint, you would think he would realize the only way he would have been able to achieve that is by actually running.  Even when he was hitting alright for a little while and getting on base, fooling us to pick him back up, he wasn't running much.  Makes little sense.

Agreed. He's a bust and time to move on. Jettisoned in all leagues.

This all seems like quite the overreaction. Yikes. 

In June, DeShields hit .267 with 13 BB & 12 Ks. 17 runs in 23 games. He also had 6 SB & 0 CS. 

You need to remember there are 26 weeks in a season. 2 SB/week would be 52 SB. Almost no one will do that. So 6 in a month, though it doesn’t feel like much, is actually a good number. 

In shallower leagues I suppose, or if you’re getting your steals elsewhere, sure. But in 5 OF leagues I gotta think he’s a strong hold still.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

This all seems like quite the overreaction. Yikes. 

In June, DeShields hit .267 with 13 BB & 12 Ks. 17 runs in 23 games. He also had 6 SB & 0 CS. 

You need to remember there are 26 weeks in a season. 2 SB/week would be 52 SB. Almost no one will do that. So 6 in a month, though it doesn’t feel like much, is actually a good number. 

In shallower leagues I suppose, or if you’re getting your steals elsewhere, sure. But in 5 OF leagues I gotta think he’s a strong hold still.

It is, and it isn’t. 

I have him in one league and im on the fence. It’s easy to project his June numbers and say he’s on pace for 52 steals, so there’s no issue. The big thing is that in the last three weeks, he’s had 1 steal I think. He’s gotten on base here and there, but for whatever reason he doesn’t seem to be trying to run at all. 

I agree with the overall point though that in a deeper 5 of roto league he’s tough to cut, but we’re at the point where the thought is crossing my mind as I need the sbs. A guy like Kiermeier, who isn’t hitting, is at least getting the chance to run most times he gets on base. That’s mostly what I’m looking for out of that roster spot.