Berko1se

Getting ready for the playoffs...

For those teams already in the playoffs (or those who have earned a bye!), who are you targeting for that deep playoff run? What strategies are you implementing? Any injury stashes?

No idea if this will be okay or not, but feel the topic is worthy of its own thread. 

I think it's important to stash a defense with good matchups during your league's playoff weeks. The Bears and Pats are a few defenses that come to mind that might still be on waivers.

Also, if you're streaming quarterbacks, it might not be a bad call to pick up a QB with good playoff matchups as well. For example, I've been riding on Keenum for the past few weeks (former Watson owner), but I picked up Tyrod Taylor due to his sweet playoff schedule and might plug him in.

Lastly, this is the time of year to take a chance on any fliers on your waiver wire to stash on the back end of your bench and replacing them with guys you most likely weren't going to play anyway. I dropped Kenyan Drake to grab Josh Gordon in hopes that he blows up when he returns. If not, it doesn't really affect my team. Booker and Marlon Mack are a few more names that come to mind, but it depends on your waiver wire.

Just a few things that I'm doing to prepare! What about everyone else?

Edited by zachsportsguy

As an owner locked into the playoffs, I am constantly watching the WW as teams trying to make the playoffs tinker with their lineups and try to hit the lottery. I was able to grab D. Woodhead a few weeks back and now I'm offering Team X my D. Woodhead for his E. Elliot. If Team X doesnt win this week he's out. Barring any injuries to my T. Gurley, L. Fournette and S. Perine (RB1, RB2, and FLEX), I believe Woodhead is expendable. However, I can't accurately gauge Elliot's week 16 value so it's a bit of a risk.

Making these types of calls could be what separates a first round exit and a finals win.

6 minutes ago, zachsportsguy said:

Lastly, this is the time of year to take a chance on any fliers on your waiver wire to stash on the back end of your bench and replacing them with guys you most likely weren't going to play anyway. I dropped Kenyan Drake to grab Josh Gordon in hopes that he blows up when he returns. If not, it doesn't really affect my team. Booker and Marlon Mack are a few more names that come to mind, but it depends on your waiver wire.

Just a few things that I'm doing to prepare! What about everyone else?

Interesting point, Zach. Wouldn't you also say it's valuable to hold certain players so that they don't end up helping another team? For example, if my number 5 receiver would be the number 3 receiver on my opponents team, it would be imprudent of me to drop him.

Locked up bye .. going to pick up Ds and monitor the wire for stashed. Already holding onto Woodhead and McKissic.

this is the time you play guys who are getting lot of shares (e.g., most likely I will bench Diggs and play Crowder)

Josh Gordon-check

Corey Davis-check

Kenyon Drake-check

Danny Woodhead-check

Derrick Henry-check

Arodg-check

Julio Jones with the easy playoff schedule playing the saints twice-check

I have so many league winners it's not even really fair for my opponents.

12 minutes ago, nromn said:

Josh Gordon-check

Corey Davis-check

Kenyon Drake-check

Danny Woodhead-check

Derrick Henry-check

Arodg-check

Julio Jones with the easy playoff schedule playing the saints twice-check

I have so many league winners it's not even really fair for my opponents.

The saints have two of the best corners in the league and have been playing lights out on D. Don’t assume anything with Julio this year (assuming these corners are healthy ??).

Making the playoffs is cool and all, but locking up and securing that bye is major. I much rather win two games than three :)

For this year, there are quite a few game changers that may be on your wire that could help you win anyone of your playoff matches. Guys like Gordon, Rodgers, D. Johnson and Zeke. Now, based on recent reports this week, D. Johnson and Rodgers look less likely to return, but if you have a deep bench, waiting for the official word on their status might be worth it. Zeke is due back week 16 and maybe some owners who are desperate for wins and roster space arent even looking that far ahead and may drop him in redraft leagues. It you are confident in your team and are likely to get a bye, Zeke could be a game changer if he is dropped in your league. Gordon is another guy with all-world skills and depending on your record, you should have 1-2 weeks to see what he can do before you insert him into your lineup. Woody and Olsen were in the same boat just a few weeks earlier. Hopefully you stashed.

Not a lot of real 'cuffs anymore, but guys like James Connor (Bell), Matt Brieda (Hyde), Marlon Mack (Gore), Booker (CJ), and Ekeler (Gordon) should be picked up to secure the backfield of their respective teams.

If your waiver wire order doesnt reset each week based on record, you should be trying to position your self at the top spot and stay there. Anyone who failed to cuff their starter will pay if there is an injury and/or it's like having another roster spot. In a pinch, as a strategy, as an example, you can drop a guy like Zeke in week 15 for a potential need and still pick him back up with the top waiver pick in week 16. That's only one example.

5 minutes ago, Berko1se said:

The saints have two of the best corners in the league and have been playing lights out on D. Don’t assume anything with Julio this year (assuming these corners are healthy ??).

Oh I'm well aware, he will be on my bench those two weeks. In my head, my post was dripping in sarcasm. Sorry that wasn't clear. 

41 minutes ago, nromn said:

Josh Gordon-check

Corey Davis-check

Kenyon Drake-check

Danny Woodhead-check

Derrick Henry-check

Arodg-check

he said playoff teams

40 minutes ago, nonstopfan said:

Guys like Gordon, Rodgers, D. Johnson and Zeke. Now, based on recent reports this week, D. Johnson and Rodgers look less likely to return, but if you have a deep bench, waiting for the official word on their status might be worth it. 

What's the Rodgers news? I haven't seen anything

22 minutes ago, nromn said:

Nothing definitive either way, but just slightly more promising than Johnson.

November 16, 2017 1:02 PM EST | by RotoWire Staff

Packers head coach Mike McCarthy indicated that he was satisfied with how Rodgers (collarbone) looked while doing rehab work off to the side during Wednesday's practice, Rob Demovsky of ESPN.com reports. "I think [Rodgers is] making really good progress," McCarthy said Thursday. "I know the training staff and the strength and conditioning staff are very pleased with where he is. He's moving right along."

The workout amounted to Rodgers' first on-field appearance since he fractured his right collarbone Oct. 15 against the Vikings, resulting in a complex surgery four days later that necessitated two plates and 13 screws being inserted into the collarbone. While the Packers aren't banking on Rodgers playing again this season, the quarterback at least took a positive step forward in that regard with Wednesday's activity. Rodgers will remain limited to nothing more than rehab sessions off to the side during the next two weeks before he's able to return to practice beginning Nov. 27, which would then set in motion a 21-day window through which the Packers can evaluate him for a potential return from injured reserve. Rodgers would be eligible to play no sooner than the Packers' Week 15 matchup with the Panthers if he's activated.

Edited by nonstopfan

Just now, nonstopfan said:

Nothing definitive either way, but more promising than Johnson.

Let’s say he’s ready to go week 15 but the Packers are out of contention. Does he go the last 3 weeks?

I can’t see why they would risk it.

So many things have to break right for Rodgers to deliver value this year...I don’t see it happening.

27 minutes ago, Berko1se said:

Let’s say he’s ready to go week 15 but the Packers are out of contention. Does he go the last 3 weeks?

In this era?

Hell no

1 hour ago, nromn said:

Oh I'm well aware, he will be on my bench those two weeks. In my head, my post was dripping in sarcasm. Sorry that wasn't clear. 

As long as you enjoyed it. 

Defenses.  

Youre never going to start 'Eric Decker'.  Dump this type of player and load up on defenses

1 hour ago, nromn said:

If the Pack are out of the playoffs no chance they bring Rodgers back.  Just look at Romo a few years back.  Had similar injury came back and broke it again. 

12 hours ago, NorthBoundTrain said:

Interesting point, Zach. Wouldn't you also say it's valuable to hold certain players so that they don't end up helping another team? For example, if my number 5 receiver would be the number 3 receiver on my opponents team, it would be imprudent of me to drop him.

Yeah, I would definitely agree with that. I also think dropping a player as a "trap," or someone who still might have name value but has been putting up duds (e.g. Doug Martin) in hopes that your opponent plays him is an interesting thing to consider.

Hoping Ingram and Kamara can carry me to the title. I've gone from eighth to second since inserting both of them in my lineup. Have Bell also but believe the Steelers may lighten his workload to get ready for the "real" playoffs. I'm trying not to rely on boom bust guys such as Diggs and Tate and have tried to hang onto and pick up guys with decent floors such as Doug Baldwin. I also picked up Sterling Shepard and Robbie Anderson as both see their fair share of targets so I'm hoping Shepard can go by the time the playoffs roll around. I picked up Tyrod to back up Cousins since Tyrod has some good playoff matchups. Only have the Bengals now so will see what other defenses have good matchups. My only question is if I should keep Dak for week 16 when Zeke returns?

2 minutes ago, chrismikayla said:

Hoping Ingram and Kamara can carry me to the title. I've gone from eighth to second since inserting both of them in my lineup. Have Bell also but believe the Steelers may lighten his workload to get ready for the "real" playoffs.

Wouldn't expect Bell's load to lighten. PIT needs to run the table (including wk 15 vs NE) to ensure a first round bye since JAX has the H2H tiebreaker on them. 

8-3

Playoff Defenses available in my league:

Bears  20 sacks, 4 Ints: @CIN, @DET, CLE

Bills  15 sacks, 11Ints: vIND, vMIA, @NE 

Skins 28 sacks, 12Ints: @LAC, vARZ, vDEN

As a defense streamer a year long, I look for good sack totals to establish a floor, then I look at match ups, specifically for teams that give up sacks.

I'm carrying the Bengals, but adding Chicago might be my move.

I've handcuffed my valuable RBs (CWest for Hunt & Ekeler for Gordon) and I've got my lotto ticket (Woodhead).

I'd target Flacco as a WW QB if you're struggling. He has a nice playoff schedule and the team seems to be playing better than early on, similar to Carolina.

The Bills defense is broken. Don't touch it. There are big internal problems.

Edited by Br0kenB