Sign in to follow this  
BlueJaysIn2030

Charlie Blackmon 2018 Outlook

Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, FootballFan101 said:

What a total bum.  Obviously you can't drop him, but it's really to the point now where you have to bench him away from Coors

 

He's gotten 3 HRs and 1 SB all season long at Coors and 11 HRs and 3 SB away. If anything, you bench him when he's at Coors.

But like the other guy said above, he's ok to be benched everywhere right now...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He’ll get scorching hot again.  Buy where you can.  We all saw this with Goldschmidt recently.  Walk rate exactly same, K rate exactly same, BABIP down .40+ points from what it’s been last few years.  Hard hit, line drives etc all the same.  By time weekends over Rockies will have played 10 less home games than road.  Stats will even out.  Buy low where you can.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, mehtavg2000 said:

 

I think you bench him at Coors at well.  Guy has 3 HRs and 3 steals in 2 months!

 

I hear you, but all of those HRs on the road came in April.  During the past two month period you are referring to (from May 6th on), I'm looking at just how unbelievably terrible he's been on the road.

 

Per Fangraphs, here's Blackmon's poor total numbers (both home and road) since May 6th.

image.png.b143d2b6790257336f4dd5ea91e0dd11.png

 

Here's Blackmon's home numbers since May 6th.  Are those numbers what you are hoping for from a first round pick?  No, but he is still hitting for a good average and scoring a lot of runs at Coors.  Unless you're in a really shallow leagues, those home numbers are probably still better than waiver wire caliber. 

image.png.5a37feae017c0ac63e2188b092010044.png

 

Now here's Blackmon's mind-boggling bad road numbers since May 6th. 

image.png.2c4037a42e7a38e52ee7d7c222bcbab0.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll say this much about Blackmon: he was very smart to sign that extension in spring training because as a free agent this offseason he wouldn't have been able to get even a quarter of that money, following a year in which he's been significantly worse than a replacement level player.

 

Per Baseball-reference, Blackmon has the 9th worst WAR in all of baseball at -1.0 WAR.  I know WAR isn't a fantasy category and includes defense which has no effect in fantasy, but it's unreal that we're talking about a first round fantasy player as having one of the ten worst WARs in all of baseball at the midpoint of the season.  (And Blackmon isn't that far away from the 2nd worst WAR either, which belong to Alcides Escobar at -1.3 WAR.  Crush Davis will be pretty tough to catch for worst at -2.1 WAR.)

 

Source: https://www.baseball-reference.com/play-index/tiny.fcgi?id=LaMUk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Goldy style turnaround coming??? Fingers crossed this is the beginning of a hot streak!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/30/2018 at 12:11 PM, FootballFan101 said:

I'll say this much about Blackmon: he was very smart to sign that extension in spring training because as a free agent this offseason he wouldn't have been able to get even a quarter of that money, following a year in which he's been significantly worse than a replacement level player.

 

Per Baseball-reference, Blackmon has the 9th worst WAR in all of baseball at -1.0 WAR.  I know WAR isn't a fantasy category and includes defense which has no effect in fantasy, but it's unreal that we're talking about a first round fantasy player as having one of the ten worst WARs in all of baseball at the midpoint of the season.  (And Blackmon isn't that far away from the 2nd worst WAR either, which belong to Alcides Escobar at -1.3 WAR.  Crush Davis will be pretty tough to catch for worst at -2.1 WAR.)

 

Source: https://www.baseball-reference.com/play-index/tiny.fcgi?id=LaMUk

It's because his defense sucks

 

hes been a decent player after tonight's knock he's probably near top 50. People talking like he's Gary Sanchez or something 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another homer tonight. Really hoping this is the beginning of the long-awaited hot streak

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I finally benched the guy this week for the first time all season.  But I'll still take it if this is the start of a monster.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it me or are the Rockies facing an insane amount of Lefty Starting Pitchers this year?  Every time I go to set a lineup, I feel like they are facing a lefty.  It may have to do with some of his struggles this season as his splits appear to be abnormally weighted to Left Handed pitching.

 

2018 - 40% of at bats vs. LH

2017 - 33% of at bats vs. LH

2016 - 30% of at bats vs. LH

 

I'd think this trends back towards the mean, and he is white hot in the 2nd half.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, The_Truth_Returns said:

Is it me or are the Rockies facing an insane amount of Lefty Starting Pitchers this year?  Every time I go to set a lineup, I feel like they are facing a lefty.  It may have to do with some of his struggles this season as his splits appear to be abnormally weighted to Left Handed pitching.

 

2018 - 40% of at bats vs. LH

2017 - 33% of at bats vs. LH

2016 - 30% of at bats vs. LH

 

I'd think this trends back towards the mean, and he is white hot in the 2nd half.

Image result for let us pray

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

like the Arenado thread just a couple of weeks ago,  It was funny hearing people saying this guy was a complete bust. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, JetsAwesome said:

like the Arenado thread just a couple of weeks ago,  It was funny hearing people saying this guy was a complete bust. 

 

That's the time to buy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, oban14 said:

 

That's the time to buy.

very true - that window is probably closed.  Owners were probably looking for any signs of life and he's been great the last 10 days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.