Sign in to follow this  
2ndCitySox

Jose Abreu 2018 Outlook

Career splits by pre/post all star break:

Pre-All Star break .283  /  .335  /  .503  /  .838

Post-All Star break .315  /  .381 /   .533  /  .914
It's always a little nerve racking when your studs are underperforming, but this guy is usually a better 2nd half hitter.  

Edited by desert86
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, midlip said:

Any chance he gets traded?

Yes, but not likely. I think I'd put the chance at roughly 33% possibility.

White Sox would be smart to trade him, but ONLY if they get a great package back in return. He means a lot to the club so they shouldn't/won't trade him for peanuts.

6 minutes ago, street sharks said:

I know I posted this earlier in the season, but it appears they're still interested

Not getting my hopes up, but this would be GREAT

On 7/13/2018 at 11:11 AM, CrypTviLL said:

Yes, but not likely. I think I'd put the chance at roughly 33% possibility.

White Sox would be smart to trade him, but ONLY if they get a great package back in return. He means a lot to the club so they shouldn't/won't trade him for peanuts.

If he truly loves Chicago - he should take a trade to get a solid piece or two and then just sign back with the White Sox.  Like the Yankees who traded Chapman for Gleyber and then simply signed Chapman back that next season

23 hours ago, jahweedum said:

If he truly loves Chicago - he should take a trade to get a solid piece or two and then just sign back with the White Sox.  Like the Yankees who traded Chapman for Gleyber and then simply signed Chapman back that next season

I don't think that's really fair to say.

That makes logical sense, but perhaps Abreu has his feet in Chicago and simply doesn't want to leave, even for a couple years. It's not really fair to tell someone like that to go enjoy the playoffs elsewhere then come back in 2 years.

But sure, it makes logical sense.

If he truly loves Chicago he should hit a darn baseball once a while, he's been absolutely brutal this year. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, CrypTviLL said:

I don't think that's really fair to say.

That makes logical sense, but perhaps Abreu has his feet in Chicago and simply doesn't want to leave, even for a couple years. It's not really fair to tell someone like that to go enjoy the playoffs elsewhere then come back in 2 years.

But sure, it makes logical sense.

Isn't he on a one year contract?  I wouldn't do it without his blessing - but it'd be a smart move if he is.  Otherwise just sign him to an extension right now?

11 minutes ago, tonywow said:

If he truly loves Chicago he should hit a darn baseball once a while, he's been absolutely brutal this year. 

He said earlier this year he didn't feel like he should get excited about a HR in an 8-1 loss.  I think losing is getting into his head a bit - he's a team player and wants to win and loves his fans - I think that drives him more than his statistics

1 minute ago, jahweedum said:

Isn't he on a one year contract?  I wouldn't do it without his blessing - but it'd be a smart move if he is.  Otherwise just sign him to an extension right now?

He's signed through 2019, so he's not a free agent this year.

I'm not sure it would be smart of the W'Sox to extend him now during his slump. They need to know who he will be for their rebuild if he is going to stick around.

On 7/20/2018 at 9:36 PM, street sharks said:

I know I posted this earlier in the season, but it appears they're still interested

Holy crap, that would be amazing. Especially if they dealt Yordan Alvarez in the deal and Chicago promoted him. Boom. Boom.

A man can dream. 

But man,  Abreu going to a contender might really jump start him mentally/emotionally. Tons of RBI opportunities too.

I'm sure he'd mash if dealt to a contender. The White Sox are brutal this year and it seems like a lot of the vets on the team are already ready to be done with the season or patiently waiting for a trade in the coming weeks. 

Could be talk to drive up the price but Chicago reportedly has little interest in trading him as they can still control him beyond this season. 

Other than conducting himself with class and professionalism, what exactly is he contributing to the young guys on the team? None of them seem to have taken a significant step forward.  Maybe the kind of classy veteran Sox need is one who's been part of a winner.  And maybe what Abreu needs is a new team where he can have a taste of winning for once in in his life, because he sure isn't playing as if these games with the Sox mean anything to him.

I ask because I keep reading how he means so much to the team and the development of the young players.  If i'm the white sox I'd rather have more young pitching talent.

Edited by el_Mantico

25 minutes ago, el_Mantico said:

Other than conducting himself with class and professionalism, what exactly is he contributing to the young guys on the team? None of them seem to have taken a significant step forward.  Maybe the kind of classy veteran Sox need is one who's been part of a winner.  And maybe what Abreu needs is a new team where he can have a taste of winning for once in in his life, because he sure isn't playing as if these games with the Sox mean anything to him.

I ask because I keep reading how he means so much to the team and the development of the young players.  If i'm the white sox I'd rather have more young pitching talent.

Moncada had a rep of being on the immature side. I'm sure that's part of why Abreu's still around. He was also part of the reason the Sox landed Robert. 

But now, his usefulness has probably diminished to a point where they can trade him. If he was hitting .320 I think he'd be gone at the deadline. As things stand, they might just wait until the offseason to move him, hoping he has a big second half as he typically does. I assume they're taking the same approach with Garcia. They're likely to get more for him in the offseason than the deadline, so he may not be moved (that said, if he goes on another torrid stretch between now and the 31st, who knows). 

5 hours ago, AnonymousRob said:

Could be talk to drive up the price but Chicago reportedly has little interest in trading him as they can still control him beyond this season. 

He’s been putrid in June and July. Any team kicking the tires on him is likely trying to buy for a discount. Chicago tries to up the asking price by saying they’re not interested in dealing him and want him around. I don’t think he’s going anywhere unless he starts raking the next week and a half.

His bat appears awoken with a 2 HR game. Hopefully the start of another strong finish.

Death, taxes, and Jose Abreu mashing after the summer solstice.

Buckle up and enjoy the ride B)

• Like 2

After today's dinger, he's homered in 3 straight. 2H legend. 

Here's some "legend" from RW Blurb:

He is slashing .267/.328/.484 with 19 home runs and 63 RBI. For comparison's sake he went .304/.354/.552 with 33 homers, 102 RBI and 95 runs scored a year ago.

1 hour ago, SuperJoint said:

Here's some "legend" from RW Blurb:

He is slashing .267/.328/.484 with 19 home runs and 63 RBI. For comparison's sake he went .304/.354/.552 with 33 homers, 102 RBI and 95 runs scored a year ago.

I said 2H legend. Sorry if you misunderstood. 

He’s generally been a better hitter in the second half, with a career slash of .315/.383/.540, 

Coming into today, Abreu was hitting .346 with 5 HR in 52 AB since the All-Star Break. Tack on another 2-4 with a HR. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LoGo said:

I said 2H legend. Sorry if you misunderstood. 

He’s generally been a better hitter in the second half, with a career slash of .315/.383/.540, 

Coming into today, Abreu was hitting .346 with 5 HR in 52 AB since the All-Star Break. Tack on another 2-4 with a HR. 

Yep understand (now). You are correct. 

He has a lot of 2nd half heroics to come if he can get close to last year's numbers. I have a lot of doubt.

• Like 1

Out of the lineup with some abdominal pain. Hope its not too serious since he's actually been hitting well over the second half. 

Damn that sucks. Top 5 on the player rater the last month (350/400/700). He and The Ronald have kept my putrid offense afloat lately.