Sign in to follow this  
Fuzzy_Slippers

Luis Severino 2018 Outlook

On 8/3/2018 at 5:38 AM, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

After today, Severino has a cake schedule.

As it stands right now:

8/8 - White Sox

8/13 - Mets

8/18 - Blue Jays

8/25 - Orioles

8/30 - Tigers

9/4 - Athletics

9/10 - Twins

9/16 - Blue Jays

9/22 - Orioles

9/27 - Rays

The most difficult opponent would have to be the Athletics. The Jays and Rays are decent, but the rest all all below-average in terms of wRC+ and wOBA. The schedule could change, but Sevy should be able to finish the season strong.

Hes also one rainout away from the 9/16 and 9/27 series changing from Blue Jays and Rays, to Boston and Boston. 

On a related note, the weather currently sucks here in Boston today. 

Hopefully he stumble to the end of the year, so we can get him cheaper in keepers in the offseason. 

• Confused 1

On 7/28/2018 at 8:42 PM, GC Tacos said:

SP3 the ROS, just watch. He’s gonna try too hard and his fastball will flatten out and his slider will hang. He’ll press early in games and give up dumb runs. Mental makeup needs some work and he could prove to be elite IF he can flip this around. I doubt he can. DL stint wouldn’t be too bad...

SP3(maybe even SP4), hope everyone sold already. He’s gonna be extremely bad, possibly not even start the wildcard game.

• Confused 2

2 minutes ago, 2ndCitySox said:

Maybe a QS today!!!1!111!111!!

Hopefully. Saw plenty of flashes of great Severino in this start so far. Still working out some kinks but i'll take it. 

ya i was really nervous in the first inning.  his velocity was a tick or so slow around 96mph and his slider didnt have that sharp bite.

but he looked much better at times and was hitting 98/99 in the 6th and 7th inning and his slider had that really good bite.

lets hope this leads to a hot streak.

• Like 1

Has this guy just lost life on his fastball? He’s been getting hard lately yet the velo is there.  It’s super irritating esp with true easy schedule he has lately. Anyone see what’s wrong with him? Gave up a 2-fun HR to Joey Bats of all people. 

On 8/8/2018 at 8:58 PM, GC Tacos said:

SP3(maybe even SP4), hope everyone sold already. He’s gonna be extremely bad, possibly not even start the wildcard game.

I’m gonna keep quoting myself until people believe me. His fastball has flattened out and his slider doesn’t have the same bite. He’s gonna struggle. He NEEDS a DL stint or the Yankees may as well start playing for next year ?

36 minutes ago, GC Tacos said:

I’m gonna keep quoting myself until people believe me. His fastball has flattened out and his slider doesn’t have the same bite. He’s gonna struggle. He NEEDS a DL stint or the Yankees may as well start playing for next year ?

Pure horse s---! 

Severino was the model of inconsistency, showed flashes of potential, but was demoted. He came back up a new man, a guy who trusted his ace stuff. 

He’s still a kid, pitches in the AL beast, and will be fine. It’s his turn to adjust. SP-4? 

Paaaaaleeeease. ?

AL beast? O's,jays and rays might be 3 of the worst 5 lineups in baseball.  Yanks and sox pitchers dpne have to pitch against themselves.

Look at his numbers! He's worse than an SP4.

Never get too attached to players even if they are a supposed ace. Know when to hold em know when to fold em. 

Either there's an injury that we don't know about or he's been figured out. If it's the latter these types of performances could be the norm until the end of the season. This is something that can be fully fixed in the offseason.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Cesare13 said:

A 98 mph fastball is useless if its thrown straight.  At this point there must be an injury.  

Doubtful.  The thought is he is tipping his pitches

14 minutes ago, Febonacci said:

Never get too attached to players even if they are a supposed ace. Know when to hold em know when to fold em. 

Either there's an injury that we don't know about or he's been figured out. If it's the latter these types of performances could be the norm until the end of the season. This is something that can be fully fixed in the offseason.

He is Sonny Gray 2.0

1 hour ago, Ratso1022 said:

He is Sonny Gray 2.0

No one is that bad

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, 2ndCitySox said:

No one is that bad

Other than Sonny Gray himself, of course. ;)

Sonny Gray is Sonny Gray 2.0. And 3.0, and 4.0, and 5.0.............

1 hour ago, Ratso1022 said:

Doubtful.  The thought is he is tipping his pitches

This, too bad Pedro Martinez is on Redsox payroll, he could probably fix him over a text.  #mentor

2 hours ago, Febonacci said:

Lolz...

Worse than a SP4 eh? 

3.2 ERA/ 1.1 WHIP/ 15-6/ 173K’s in 154 INN

You guys are unbelievable. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Severino has allowed 30 ER in the last 36 IP.

Degrom has allowed 31 ER in 2018.

Aces don't put up these bad of numbers.

In a game of "what have you done for me lately" Severino has been worse than an SP4 since the ASB.

• Like 2

Now I’m fully aware of his recent struggles, but given that fact... his numbers are that much more impressive. 

I realize he’s the first 24 year old Aces of the Yank’s to ever hit a rough patch, but let’s not banish him to the current King Felix realm of skills quite yet. 

Something is amiss, but he throws easy 100 mph dirty cheese. His slider is wicked hahhd, he’s got moxie. He WILL figure out what’s wrong, injury or not, and be filth once more. And for many years. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Febonacci said:

Severino has allowed 30 ER in the last 36 IP.

Degrom has allowed 31 ER in 2018.

Aces don't put up these bad of numbers.

In a game of "what have you done for me lately" Severino has been worse than an SP4 since the ASB.

Cherry picking. You could say pre-AS break and Sevi was a top overall SP

How many dubya’s does Degrom have again? It’s all relative. Dude has 15 wins and has been lit up for a month straight. 

• Confused 2