Sign in to follow this  
Fuzzy_Slippers

Luis Severino 2018 Outlook

49 minutes ago, LarryChip10 said:

Cherry picking. You could say pre-AS break and Sevi was a top overall SP

How many dubya’s does Degrom have again? It’s all relative. Dude has 15 wins and has been lit up for a month straight. 

I'm totally fine with defending Sev, but come on now... You can't be talking about wins. Degrom on any other team other than the dumpster fire that is the Mets would have so, so many more wins than he does. Degrom deserves so much better...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sine_cera said:

what can cause this?  an injury?  mechanical flaw?  tipping pitches?

2 hours ago, Sine_cera said:

He’s just getting tired and falling behind early so he begins to press too much which is causing his pitches to flatten out. Thanks for some graphs to back up what I’m saying ??

Would love to see a phantom DL stint for a mental and physical breather before the upcoming stretch run.

On 8/13/2018 at 10:10 PM, DavidbivaD said:

I'm totally fine with defending Sev, but come on now... You can't be talking about wins. Degrom on any other team other than the dumpster fire that is the Mets would have so, so many more wins than he does. Degrom deserves so much better...

Wins? Dub-ya’s? 

As a Braves fan for 42 years, you want to argue that good pitchers who throw gems deserve wins? 

I concur, yet I digress and simultaneously prove my point. 

(#’s outweigh arbitrary stat categories that the modern bullpen’s crap upon nightly.) 

If Degrom had haddn’t cut his Joe Dirt, he’d have 27 wins... Change my mind? 

Edited by LarryChip10

5IP 2ER against a very weak TOR... Come on Sev. Brad Keller went 7IP 1ER and looked far more dominant against this same team. At this point, a great streaming option but not a must start anymore. 

i just hope they dont give him rest. He is scheduled for a 3 start playoffs and barely misses a red sox matchup by one game.

3 hours ago, GC Tacos said:

5IP 2ER against a very weak TOR... Come on Sev. Brad Keller went 7IP 1ER and looked far more dominant against this same team. At this point, a great streaming option but not a must start anymore. 

Gotta blame some of this on crappy decision making by Boone.  Sev let 2 baserunners on in the 5th but got out of it.  Boone throws him back out there for the 6th at 90+ pitches, after throwing a higher number of pitches in the 4th and 5th.  Ends up putting some baserunners on in 6th, 2 of which score on his tab.

Was really surprised Boone sent him back out for the 6th.  You have a pitcher who has struggled mightily his last 5 starts, and goes 5 innings with 0 ER and only 5 or 6 baserunners...take him out and build on that momentum.  Instead you put him out there approaching 100 pitches and higher volume in his last 2 innings, not smart IMHO.

• Thanks 1

I dont even know what to do anymore..

Guys straight busting PO for us

I havent heard anything really.. is it an injury, mechanical issue or just fatigue of some sort..

Edited by fingy

I wonder if there was someone that predicted his demise weeks ago? What a shame too. Severino has ace stuff, but you could see a change in how he pitched and it’s not gonna get better.

It’s probably too late for the Yankees to send him to the DL. Severino is just straight tired and more effort isn’t gonna make his pitches have the same movement. 

Is this guy broken or tired?

Have a feeling it is fatigue.  Fatigue can affect location and not necessarily velocity.

Edited by B&F

Tired?  Not buying it.  His velocity to me appears to be off 2-3 mph, his slider is not breaking as much and most notably, his command in the zone is off.  Making too many fat pitches.  There has been talk that maybe he is tipping his pitches.  Can't really say but that would explain the dramatic poundings as a lot of his mistakes seem to get crushed. 

At this point, the Yanks really can not trust him to start a key playoff game and it just adds to the woes of this team in the second half.  Their ace has turned into a pumpkin, their best hitter is on the DL and may or may not get back and into form by the end of the month, their SS is out, their closer is out and their other notable slugger, namely Stanton is in a bad slump.  Realistically, whether it is one and done or not in the first round of the playoffs probably matters little in the long run.  This team is hopelessly out matched right now by the Red Sox. Even at full strength and hitting on all cylinders that would have been a tough series, with all the injuries and under-performers, it is now not even a contest imo.  They need Judge and Didi to get back and hit, need Stanton to wake up and need Severino to figure it out because short of all that, they are a .500 team that beats up on bad pitching.  And that is not even factoring in the non-shows of Bird and Sanchez, but they could survive that with their subs right now.

My 2 cents. 

Edited by secretagentman
  • Thanks 1

Sadly you can't even stream this guy right now.  I don't know how anyone can trust him in the playoffs in his current state 

22 minutes ago, beauso79 said:

Sadly you can't even stream this guy right now.  I don't know how anyone can trust him in the playoffs in his current state 

Rewatched the game— yes Severino left pitches over the plate but Sanchez did nothing to help him out. I think Gabby needs to DH or be a bench bat ROS. He’s gone from being just a bad catcher to costing his pitchers extra work and runs. I don’t see how they leave him behind the plate. 

55 minutes ago, GC Tacos said:

Rewatched the game— yes Severino left pitches over the plate but Sanchez did nothing to help him out. I think Gabby needs to DH or be a bench bat ROS. He’s gone from being just a bad catcher to costing his pitchers extra work and runs. I don’t see how they leave him behind the plate. 

you cant use sanchez as an excuse since the allstar break tho....

yankees really screwed up by not putting Severino on the DL...

5 hours ago, jfazz23 said:

yankees really screwed up by not putting Severino on the DL...

If he is not hurt, then why would they DL him?  If he is hurt, I can't imagine they would play this game.  Severino has always had a Jekyll and Hyde streak in him.  Whatever is wrong with him now, be it lost velocity, lost movement, lost command, too many mistakes, tipping pitches or some combination of all of the aforementioned, as far as we know, it is not injury related.  Simply put, he just stinks right now.

1 minute ago, secretagentman said:

If he is not hurt, then why would they DL him?  If he is hurt, I can't imagine they would play this game.  Severino has always had a Jekyll and Hyde streak in him.  Whatever is wrong with him now, be it lost velocity, lost movement, lost command, too many mistakes, tipping pitches or some combination of all of the aforementioned, as far as we know, it is not injury related.  Simply put, he just stinks right now.

he could just be tired which is why i suggested a bogus 2-3 week DL stint. it couldnt be worse than what we have here now.  we were never catching boston once they swept the 4 game series.

Edited by jfazz23

6 hours ago, GC Tacos said:

Sanchez was bad, but it is no excuse for the way Severino pitched.  And he had Romine back there for the past couple of months and stunk it up as well.  In an ironic way, Sanchez's defensive meltdown has taken a lot of heat off of Severino.  All people would be talking about is how crappy he has been if not for that passed ball extravaganza last night.

7 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

he could just be tired which is why i suggested a bogus 2-3 week DL stint. it couldnt be worse than what we have here now.  we were never catching boston once they swept the 4 game series.

Right now, they will be lucky to hold onto the first wildcard.  Regardless, they would be lucky to win that game...and if they did, they will get crushed by the Red Sox barring the re-emergence of Judge and Didi, Stanton and Severino getting their heads out of their rear ends, etc. This is a 500 team that beats up on bad pitching and it has been that way since Judge went down.  That is why the offense disappears for long stretches...they cannot hit good pitching that is on its game as a general rule and without the threat of Judge and Stanton not doing well, their ability to manufacture runs comes down to whatever Andujar, Hicks and Torres can do and the incredible Luke Voit.

Edited by secretagentman
  • Like 1

Anyone else have the guts to roll him out there tonight? I'm terrified and I'll be holding my balls all night long, but I would rather go down swinging with this guy than have my title hopes crushed by a streamer like Joe Facking Musgrove.

• Like 1

Not starting for the rest of the season as in semis this week and finals next. He has been torching my ratios the last couple of weeks or so it seems(6.48ERA, 1.32WHIP). Can't drop as it is a Dynasty but the few K are just not worth it.

• Confused 1

Im in the same boat. Championship week and unless i get validation im going to have to keep him on bench tonight vs bosox. 

Anyone make a case to start him?

• Haha 1