BlueJaysIn2030

New York Yankees 2018 Outlook

Is pitching really that bad?  In playoffs with Severino, Tanaka and CC/Lynn with the pen being able to shorten games down that shouldn’t be that uneven of a playing field.  The bigger concern should be why L VOIT is on the field in an August game.  This dudes a total bum.

• Like 1

This tweet sums it up:

image.jpeg.173db81bbb728b212e6f60d3fc290628.jpeg

I kinda feel bad for Luke Voit and Shane Robinson. They have no business being in this lineup
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Cmilne23 said:

This tweet sums it up:

image.jpeg.173db81bbb728b212e6f60d3fc290628.jpeg

I kinda feel bad for Luke Voit and Shane Robinson. They have no business being in this lineup

What's the tweet?  I see nothing but a picture there.

Why feel bad for Voit and Robinson?  Both should feel great about getting playing time.

Honestly, Bird sucks so Voit starting isn't even such a big deal. Walker though should be getting playing time over both of them.

Robinson is playing way too often.  Very idiotic for the Yankees to not go out and get someone, who can hit, prior to the trade deadling,

5 hours ago, Cmilne23 said:

Is pitching really that bad?  In playoffs with Severino, Tanaka and CC/Lynn with the pen being able to shorten games down that shouldn’t be that uneven of a playing field.  The bigger concern should be why L VOIT is on the field in an August game.  This dudes a total bum.

Yes, it is unfortunately.  Severino is an ace subject to erratic outings (see his Minnesota playoff game last season that by all rights should have ended our season right there).  Sabathia is a 5 IP pitcher at best and falls apart the third time through the lineup.  Lynn is not very good (though he may right the ship).  Gray sucks.  Tanaka is inconsistent.  Happ I have no idea at this point\TBD.  Can they win with that pitching...maybe if they have good games. 

Expecting to be saved by the bullpen as a matter of policy is falling into the "Quest for the Ineffective Reliever" each night problem.  In the end, I just do not see it working, esp. when combined with their other issues, namely their inability to hit good pitching or scrounge out runs and their shaky defense at times.  A lot of mistake and guess hitters on the team that are susceptible to being shut down\striking out too much imo.    In the playoffs you do not see weak 4th and 5th starters and it is harder to get into what is often the opposition's soft under-belly, namely the bullpen.

As to Voit, the answer is obvious, the Yanks are tiring of Bird stinking up the joint.  Why Walker is not there is anyone's guess.  He was hot for awhile and played him a lot, but they seem to have cooled on him again the second he slowed down a little. 

Edited by secretagentman
  • Like 2

Cashman knew Sanchez and Judge would be out for weeks before the deadline and the only bat he added was Luke Voit. Inexcusable for a team supposedly "going for it."

1 minute ago, absknicks said:

Cashman knew Sanchez and Judge would be out for weeks before the deadline and the only bat he added was Luke Voit. Inexcusable for a team supposedly "going for it."

While that may be true to a certain extent, I will point out that Walker can play the OF and is certainly better than Robinson.  And they can play an OF of Gardner, Hicks and Stanton most nights with Walker DHing or playing 1b.  So the need to add an OF\1b was not that great imo as the kind of stiffs they were looking at (Granderson, Bautista, etc.) were no better and someone like McCutchen was not going to add a whole lot at this point.  For whatever reason, Walker is in the dog house now and they seem to be going with Voit which is mind blowingly odd.   Add in the fact that the real problem has been shoddy defense and bad pitching.  Getting Bird out of the lineup is really what they needed to do in hind sight wrt the offense, but they seem to be unwilling to just completely give up on the stiff.  Of course, they could have added Trout and it would make no difference with the pitching being in complete shambles. 

I don't think they trust Walker in the outfield, even though he has a couple of appearances there this season. And lets remember- Neil Walker has been dreadful this season. I know he's been a bit better lately, but by and large he's been awful. 

5 minutes ago, absknicks said:

I don't think they trust Walker in the outfield, even though he has a couple of appearances there this season. And lets remember- Neil Walker has been dreadful this season. I know he's been a bit better lately, but by and large he's been awful. 

At least he has a proven track record and if given regular ABs he should do OK imo.  Bird has been given regular ABs and sucks.  As for playing the OF, he would only have to do it to spell someone.  He could DH or play 1b the majority of the time.  Running Shane Robinson or Voit out there is just ridiculous imo.  If Bird sucks so bad you have to platoon him with Voit, then you should not be playing him at all imo. 

And Neil Walker in July:  345  1 HR 11 RBI  429 OBP

In August, he has had all of 5 ABs.

While his July numbers are nothing spectacular, they are decent and they just seem to have stopped playing him after the deadline acquisition of Voit. It makes no sense imo.

Edited by secretagentman

Smoak cleared waivers. He'd be an interesting get. Big, worthwhile upgrade over Bird imo. 

Is anyone aware of any issues with Happ?  CBS has removed his start for the week.  Is he not scheduled to pitch this week?

Will Judge, Sanchez, and Didi be back for the fantasy playoffs? I know Sanchez will likely be back, how about the other two? :o

2 hours ago, lehighterp said:

Will Judge, Sanchez, and Didi be back for the fantasy playoffs? I know Sanchez will likely be back, how about the other two? :o

I own both didi and Judge, and I'm dropping both in redraft(odvious) this week.

I Don't see either coming back until mid sept.  This is assuming everything goes well in Rehab games, and even if you do get them back, they would need a few games to brush off the rust. 

In addition to all that, Yanks aren't playing for the division, so there's absolutely no reason to rush back.  

Just bad news all the way around if you have these two.  I held of to Judge and he was supposed to be back already, but after the new reports Im out.

You are better off grabbing a hunter Renfroe, cedric Mullins or Melky type to replace Judge.

And a Gurriel(toronto)  or Joey Wendle type to replace Didi.

But if you have DL spots to burn, go ahead.

18 hours ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

I’d wager that Britton gets the first crack. 

I wager not... Britton has not pitch well since the Yankees acquired him 

On ‎8‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 5:00 PM, Elviplatinum said:

I own both didi and Judge, and I'm dropping both in redraft(odvious) this week.

I Don't see either coming back until mid sept.  This is assuming everything goes well in Rehab games, and even if you do get them back, they would need a few games to brush off the rust. 

In addition to all that, Yanks aren't playing for the division, so there's absolutely no reason to rush back.  

Just bad news all the way around if you have these two.  I held of to Judge and he was supposed to be back already, but after the new reports Im out.

You are better off grabbing a hunter Renfroe, cedric Mullins or Melky type to replace Judge.

And a Gurriel(toronto)  or Joey Wendle type to replace Didi.

But if you have DL spots to burn, go ahead.

They said on rotoworld that Didi is expected back when eligible! Keep the faith! :D

• Like 1

On 8/5/2018 at 10:24 PM, cornerback said:

Yanks are in a bad stretch. They ll come around. That said, without another true ace they will go nowhere this year and nowhere next year. Loading up your bullpen is not enough.

A year long bad stretch.   38-34.  Other than one 41-13 stretch.  How good are they?   

On 8/23/2018 at 5:36 PM, shakestreet said:

I wager not... Britton has not pitch well since the Yankees acquired him 

50/50 wager.   He’s been great.  Other than two appearances.    1 baserunner last 3 outings

On 8/23/2018 at 2:50 PM, lehighterp said:

Sanchez should be back next week, so should Didi 

23 minutes ago, Ratso1022 said:

A year long bad stretch.   38-34.  Other than one 41-13 stretch.  How good are they?   

They are 79-47 2nd best record in MLB. Now don't get me wrong that doesn't mean I think they are the 2nd best team in baseball at this moment. But you have to judge a team over the course of the full 162. I really loved this Boston team all off season and felt that they would win the division easily just one of those gut calls if you will. For a brief moment the Yankees looked like they may make a push and had me 2nd guessing my initial thoughts but needless to say Boston has pulled way out in front and have just had one of those phenomenal seasons. Though to be fair I think instead of saying the Yankees are mediocre we should be saying this Red Sox team might be one of the best ever. For real they have 90 wins right now. Severino and Judge are what made this team so very good last year and they haven't had either of them at full strength for quite some time now - and they still have the 2nd best record. That is impressive and to me it indicates that they are actually a very good team that's injured and treading water right now. The problem is there might just be an all time team in their division right now. I'll say this though supposing they fall in the WC game  I won't be down on this team at all. This roster is built to be very good for a long time. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DidiFan said:

They are 79-47 2nd best record in MLB. Now don't get me wrong that doesn't mean I think they are the 2nd best team in baseball at this moment. But you have to judge a team over the course of the full 162. I really loved this Boston team all off season and felt that they would win the division easily just one of those gut calls if you will. For a brief moment the Yankees looked like they may make a push and had me 2nd guessing my initial thoughts but needless to say Boston has pulled way out in front and have just had one of those phenomenal seasons. Though to be fair I think instead of saying the Yankees are mediocre we should be saying this Red Sox team might be one of the best ever. For real they have 90 wins right now. Severino and Judge are what made this team so very good last year and they haven't had either of them at full strength for quite some time now - and they still have the 2nd best record. That is impressive and to me it indicates that they are actually a very good team that's injured and treading water right now. The problem is there might just be an all time team in their division right now. I'll say this though supposing they fall in the WC game  I won't be down on this team at all. This roster is built to be very good for a long time. 

I see a 38-35 team after tonight.  One that doesn’t get out of WC round.  

Indians, Astros, Red Sox, A’s may all be better.   I’m a yankee fan. Better than M’s and all NL teams

Edited by Ratso1022

Just now, Ratso1022 said:

I see a 38-35 team after tonight.  One that doesn’t get out of WC round.  

I mean hey anything goes in a single game do or die in baseball. Win or loss it can easily go either way. And yes basically right now its an injured team treading water what they make of this year very much depends on whether or not Judge can come back. 

58 minutes ago, DidiFan said:

I mean hey anything goes in a single game do or die in baseball. Win or loss it can easily go either way. And yes basically right now its an injured team treading water what they make of this year very much depends on whether or not Judge can come back. 

Sorry.  We aren’t very good this year.  Except for a good 41-13 stretch.  There’s always next year 

Edited by Ratso1022

100 wins.  usually wins the division.  not bad considering Judge, Didi, gleyber and sanchez all missed substantial time.  and severino was near not existent in the last 2.5 months

who you throwing against oakland?

• Like 1