Sign in to follow this  
brockpapersizer

BPS Annual Early Catcher Rankings

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, handyandy86 said:

In 1-C leagues where you end up waiting late until to take a catcher, has anyone considered taking Grandal and Barnes as a tandem at 200+?  I know it wastes a valuable bench spot, so it kind of depends on the league/situation, but they are one of the few catcher pairs that can both hit decently well.  Projections have them both around 350 AB's because nobody seems to know the PT breakdown, and I'm sure it will partially depend on whose hot, but if you had both (obviously in a daily lineup) then you could plug and play.

If you add up their stats from last season you get:  656 AB, 85 R, 30 HR, 96 RBI, 4 SB, .261 AVG

Obviously there is some overlap there, as there were some games Barnes was a 2B, but overall you have to figure you'd basically get 160 games of C, with counting stats that would make up a top-2 fantasy catcher if they were one person.  

Like I said, not sure if this is 'worth' taking up a bench spot on, but you would likely end up with high-end catcher numbers for basically two end-of-the-draft picks.  And if one gets injured/takes over the job/gets traded, then you can drop the other, and you don't have to worry about guessing which one is the right pick in LAD.

Thoughts?

One owner tried that in my draft and was quickly recognized. Somebody jumped in and took Barnes just to mess with his tactics, with rest of us cheering him for such a move :D (it was auction draft so it's much easier to ruin such plots).

But I can see some value in getting Grandal and Barnes as platoon , depending of how long are benches.

Edited by Pap

4 hours ago, Pap said:

One owner tried that in my draft and was quickly recognized. Somebody jumped in and took Barnes just to mess with his tactics, with rest of us cheering him for such a move :D (it was auction draft so it's much easier to ruin such plots).

But I can see some value in getting Grandal and Barnes as platoon , depending of how long are benches.

I think I might give it a shot just to see what happens, if the opportunity presents itself.  Benches never seem long enough, but it's a pretty low investment cost if it doesn't work out.  The general fantasy rule of thumb is that having a backup catcher is a waste of a bench spot, but I also find that there are a lot of unused AB's on my bench all the time.  At least this way I know that one or the other will be in the lineup.

3 hours ago, handyandy86 said:

I think I might give it a shot just to see what happens, if the opportunity presents itself.  Benches never seem long enough, but it's a pretty low investment cost if it doesn't work out.  The general fantasy rule of thumb is that having a backup catcher is a waste of a bench spot, but I also find that there are a lot of unused AB's on my bench all the time.  At least this way I know that one or the other will be in the lineup.

Another catching duo you might want to consider is the Braves Tyler Flowers / Kurt Suzuki

• Like 1

Catcher

Tier 1

Gary Sanchez/Austin Romine

Tier 2

Buster Posey/Trevor Brown

Wilson Conteras/Victor Caritini

Tier 3

JT Realmuto/Tomas Tellis

Salvador Perez/Drew Butera

Tier 4

Wilson Ramos/Jesus Sucre

Yadier Molina/Carson Kelly

Evan Gattis

Mike Zunino/Mike Marjama

Wellington Castillo/Omar Narvaez

Yasmani Grandal/Austin Barnes

Tier 6

Lucroy/Josh Phegley

Brian McCann

Tyler Flowers/Kurt Suzuki

Robinson Chirinos/Juan Centeno

Jorge Alfaro/Cameron Rupp

Steven Vogt/Manny Pina

Russell Martin/Luke Maile/Danny Jansen (prospect)

Travis D’Arnaud/Kevin Plaweki

Chris Ianetta/Tony Wolters

Tier 7

Christian Vazquez/Sandy Leon/ Blake Swihart

Tucker Barnhart/Devon Mesoraco

James McCann/John Hicks(1b)

Matt Wieters/Miguel Montero

Francisco Cervelli/Elias Diaz

Chance Sisco/Caleb Joseph (BAL Platoon)

Austin Hedges/Rocky Gale

Avila/Jeff Mathis (platoon)     

Roberto Perez/Yan Gomes/ Francisco Mejia (prospect)/

Tier 8

Martin Maldonado/Carlos Perez (Angels)

Jason Castro/Mitch Garver (Twins)

image.png

24 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

Catcher

Tier 1

Gary Sanchez/Austin Romine

Tier 2

Buster Posey/Trevor Brown

Wilson Conteras/Victor Caritini

Tier 3

JT Realmuto/Tomas Tellis

Salvador Perez/Drew Butera

Tier 4

Wilson Ramos/Jesus Sucre

Yadier Molina/Carson Kelly

Evan Gattis

Mike Zunino/Mike Marjama

Wellington Castillo/Omar Narvaez

Yasmani Grandal/Austin Barnes

Tier 6

Lucroy/Josh Phegley

Brian McCann

Tyler Flowers/Kurt Suzuki

Robinson Chirinos/Juan Centeno

Jorge Alfaro/Cameron Rupp

Steven Vogt/Manny Pina

Russell Martin/Luke Maile/Danny Jansen (prospect)

Travis D’Arnaud/Kevin Plaweki

Chris Ianetta/Tony Wolters

Tier 7

Christian Vazquez/Sandy Leon/ Blake Swihart

Tucker Barnhart/Devon Mesoraco

James McCann/John Hicks(1b)

Matt Wieters/Miguel Montero

Francisco Cervelli/Elias Diaz

Chance Sisco/Caleb Joseph (BAL Platoon)

Austin Hedges/Rocky Gale

Avila/Jeff Mathis (platoon)     

Roberto Perez/Yan Gomes/ Francisco Mejia (prospect)/

Tier 8

Martin Maldonado/Carlos Perez (Angels)

Jason Castro/Mitch Garver (Twins)

image.png

im really liking jorge alfaro. thoughts?

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

im really liking jorge alfaro. thoughts?

I kept him as my 20th keeper in a "dynasty league" 2 catcher. I don't feel great about it, but catchers always go for stupid prices in the auction so I rather just keep him and hope to grab a 3rd guy for cheap. Im guessing he's probably better in average leagues than OBP leagues because he doesn't walk.

I actually think if you're in a competitive league, he might be a value because everyone poops on his discipline, but he's young and can turn it around in a hurry. The obvious catcher to blow up is Gary Sanchez.  I think it's probably crazy to even suggest a comparison, but Alfaro is a prospect that's been around for a while that people have soured on. He's having a great spring and it's not crazy that he gets a lot better this year. 

Everyone wants to sell what he's doing now and did last year in the bigs, and I kind of get it, but at a certain point with catchers, very much YOLO.  Even if you reach on him based on my rankings, you're not passing on someone amazing in the tier above him.

Edited by brockpapersizer
  • Thanks 1

I’m a biased homer, but i’ll be stunned if Austin Hedges hits less than 25 HRs this year.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, tommyGunZ said:

I’m a biased homer, but i’ll be stunned if Austin Hedges hits less than 25 HRs this year.  

I might be low on him, but nobody really has him projected for 20. Still 15-20 for home runs is pretty good in a deep league, and if the average doesnt kill you that would be huge.