IlliniGuy76

Cody Bellinger 2018 Outlook

13 minutes ago, slainte said:

i hope they lose today for sitting the greatest bat that could win a staring contest. they wouldn't know talent if it stood in front of them and continuously struck out.

Is this your attempt at humor?

I have no problem with guys getting days off.  Of course all players believe they should play every day that is not a team concept.

Get him into film room, do some swing work on position tees, measure swing path planes and degrees, this type of thing.  He's also been playing CF which is tough for someone his size but is needed for the team, so maybe get some massage time in.

25 minutes ago, tywalson said:

Is this your attempt at humor?

no. i'm yahoo serious.

1 hour ago, slainte said:

i hope they lose today for sitting the greatest bat that could win a staring contest. they wouldn't know talent if it stood in front of them and continuously struck out.

He has loads of talent, and what he did for most of last season was obviously impressive, but he's been downright awful for quite a bit of this season.  Can't blame the team at all for giving him an extended benching.  Whether it is working or not, obviously him playing isn't working right now either.

9 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Uhm..... no bueno.  They've obviously started to think about it.

As much as I hate to say, he might need to spend some time in AAA to get himself straightened out. Or they might be suggesting it publicly to get his attention. 

50 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

As to his struggles.....

Thanks Plunkett for the context.

Cody's BABIP since 4/30 is .186 and his K/PA is 28.5% -- not far off from last year's 26.6%.

Results still poor, but I'm just saying...

Might as well slap his mother in the face if you’re going to send him to the minors. He put the team on his back last season. Total disrespect.

6 minutes ago, smeeze said:

Total disrespect. 

These are baseball decisions.  Respect/disrespect doesn't mean anything except as sports talk radio fodder. Kid is only 22 years old -- if disrespect and bruised egos were a concern, he'd have never taken Adrian Gonzalez's job in the first place. 

• Like 6

Well this is regressing like a bat outta hell. 

Pine till further notice, times are tough, woof. 

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story

5 hours ago, ToO_BaD said:

I don’t care about your point of the supporting cast in general.  Just that when someone called you out on Taylor not hitting well, you then scampered to “well he is hitting at the top of the lineup.”  So which is it?

As a collectively he's hit poorly this season - THAT is my point (along with the sub-par lineup support which was the main commentary I made).  Read however you wish into that my friend.

Edited by IlliniGuy76

5 minutes ago, CharlieWhitehurst said:

Anyone trying to buy low on him right now?

I think it's worth seeing what his owners will trade him for. As an owner in a keeper league, however, I'm not trading him cheap if someone comes asking for him. I'm still trading him for the 40HR-10SB upside he showed last year. I figure that other owners (in keepers and dynasties) will approach it the same way. 

On 6/3/2018 at 2:42 PM, Flyman75 said:

As much as I hate to say, he might need to spend some time in AAA to get himself straightened out. Or they might be suggesting it publicly to get his attention. 

He rose to greatness last year because of his uppercut swing.  Until really this year, pitcher's have always had the mantra "keep the ball down."  Hitters have adjusted, and upper cut swings have become very popular/successful.  Now pitchers have begun to adjust back, and are elevating the fastball more often.  They're especially doing it with players like Bellinger.  Hoskins is having the same issue.  Both of them are struggling against high heat.  

As for his batting stance looking different, he is tinkering with it so that he is quicker to the high fastball with less of a hitch.  What makes me optimistic that Bellinger can adjust is that he has well above avg bat speed.  He shouldn't have a problem getting to the high fastball, he just needs to learn how to keep it in play when he makes contact and flip it into left or even drive it.

AAA is not going to help him figure out the high heat imo.  He's too good to send down.

Edited by sportsfreak2744
adding
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Dalton Gang said:

At what point do you just cut your loses and drop him in redraft leagues?

Bench coach help forum question, but no way, you paid a high price to acquire. someone in your league still values him. 

2 hours ago, Dalton Gang said:

At what point do you just cut your loses and drop him in redraft leagues?

If he has a season ending surgery.

• Haha 1

Beautifully Beltre-esque!