IlliniGuy76

Cody Bellinger 2018 Outlook

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, WTP333 said:

Andy McCullough:

Dave Roberts benched Cody Bellinger for not hustling on his double

”Dave Roberts: “There’s certain expectations about the way we play the game. When you don’t abide by that, we’ll get somebody in there who will.”

 

Bill Plunket:

#Dodgers  Dave Roberts said he pulled Cody Bellinger for lack of hustle on double to Triples Alley.

 

Be careful trusting sources too soon. 

Hmmmmm ???

 

Good message to the kid. Accountability to effort.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, WTP333 said:

Andy McCullough:

Dave Roberts benched Cody Bellinger for not hustling on his double

”Dave Roberts: “There’s certain expectations about the way we play the game. When you don’t abide by that, we’ll get somebody in there who will.”

 

Bill Plunket:

#Dodgers  Dave Roberts said he pulled Cody Bellinger for lack of hustle on double to Triples Alley.

 

Be careful trusting sources too soon. 

Hmmmmm ???

Postgame interview Roberts confirmed lack of hustle was the reason given. Giants announcers also commented on it when it occurred.

 

Hard to believe an injury, though possible, as he stayed in the game. Easier to believe manager and player had words in the dugout between innings and Roberts just had enough. That is just speculation though with no basis of any facts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Low and Away said:

Postgame interview Roberts confirmed lack of hustle was the reason given. Giants announcers also commented on it when it occurred.

 

Hard to believe an injury, though possible, as he stayed in the game. Easier to believe manager and player had words in the dugout between innings and Roberts just had enough. That is just speculation though with no basis of any facts.

If I hit one 420 ft I would be expecting to be able to trot around the bases too,  it would be out of the park in 90% of ball parks.  I get it that you hustle every play but he didn't need to get grounded.  I am sure he realized his mistake when the ball didn't leave the yard.  He has been one of the better players on the team.  From a fantasy perspective I hope it causes a riff and he gets traded to an AL east team.  A guy can dream.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t own this guy anywhere so this rant has 0 ramifications to my team.  This reasoning is what s*** managers do.  Roberts trying to blame Bellinger for not taking third when .190 catcher he has playing second base whiffs and then his loser that nobody has ever heard of “lines” into DP to end inning.  So he blames his only guy who’s hitting on the day to date and pulls him.  Seems like perfect recipe to lose a 4-2 game.  You really made a point Dave Roberts.  The point should be that you continue to toss out horrific lineups on the regular.  This benching was stupid.  Proved zero, accomplished nothing.  If I’m Cody Bellinger I’d be f***** irate.

Edited by Cmilne23
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Junkie Cosmonaut said:

 

Yes. He sent him to AAA back in 2016. 

 

Those decisions are made at an organizational level. This was a message exclusively from the manager to a player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, TheBoatmen said:

If I hit one 420 ft I would be expecting to be able to trot around the bases too,  it would be out of the park in 90% of ball parks.  I get it that you hustle every play but he didn't need to get grounded.  I am sure he realized his mistake when the ball didn't leave the yard.  He has been one of the better players on the team.  From a fantasy perspective I hope it causes a riff and he gets traded to an AL east team.  A guy can dream.

the yankees could use a 1B imagine what bellinger could do with that short right field porch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think he will hit 35-40 again but I think he is a 260 hitter or so. K rate improved but the z-contact rate is not supporting the 20%. also he is pulling the ball a ton and probably isn't a super high Babip guy. still a very good asset with the homers, good team (RBI and runs) and solid OBP due to the walks. he could be a new adam dunn. this sounds like an insult because dunn was so bad in the end but in his 20s dunn was really good hitting 250 with a 400 on base and 40 bombs.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, absknicks said:

 

Those decisions are made at an organizational level. This was a message exclusively from the manager to a player.

 

And that was the culmination of a lot of things, including making an example of him during a game.

 

http://www.latimes.com/sports/dodgers/la-sp-dodgers-puig-20160802-snap-story.html

Quote


As Puig's average plummeted, Roberts clung to his acumen in right field and his brio on the bases as reasons for optimism. Then, on May 24, Roberts benched Puig for admiring a long, towering drive rather than sprinting out of the box. The ball went off the fence but Puig got only a single out of it.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure what the fuss is about. Bellinger is a young player that hit the scene running last year..easy to let all that get to your head. I'd rather have a manager who isn't afraid of his players than one who puts them on a pedestal. Apparently they've discussed Bellinger's work ethic before so it's not like Roberts just benched him out of the blue. This is the big leagues, not house league. He'll suit up next game and give it his all.

 

I'd rather this than an injury, which we all thought was the case shortly before this.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Junkie Cosmonaut said:

 

And that was the culmination of a lot of things, including making an example of him during a game.

 

http://www.latimes.com/sports/dodgers/la-sp-dodgers-puig-20160802-snap-story.html

 

 

Cool, that's why I asked. Couldn't remember. Thanks for the links.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Cmilne23 said:

I don’t own this guy anywhere so this rant has 0 ramifications to my team.  This reasoning is what s*** managers do.  Roberts trying to blame Bellinger for not taking third when .190 catcher he has playing second base whiffs and then his loser that nobody has ever heard of “lines” into DP to end inning.  So he blames his only guy who’s hitting on the day to date and pulls him.  Seems like perfect recipe to lose a 4-2 game.  You really made a point Dave Roberts.  The point should be that you continue to toss out horrific lineups on the regular.  This benching was stupid.  Proved zero, accomplished nothing.  If I’m Cody Bellinger I’d be f***** irate.

What? Dave Roberts was trying to send a message about work ethic, and putting it all out there on the field. What do poorly hitting batters behind Cody have to do with that? Unless you think they're not giving their full effort and that's the reason their batting stinks, your point is moot.

 

Cody is a young, recently successful star, now's as good a time as any to let him know he won't get preferential treatment and he still has to bust his a** like everyone else.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, TheBoatmen said:

If I hit one 420 ft I would be expecting to be able to trot around the bases too,  it would be out of the park in 90% of ball parks.  I get it that you hustle every play but he didn't need to get grounded.  I am sure he realized his mistake when the ball didn't leave the yard.  He has been one of the better players on the team.  From a fantasy perspective I hope it causes a riff and he gets traded to an AL east team.  A guy can dream.

 

The ball barely made it to the track.  I mean, if he thought that was a "no doubter", then I'm not sure what to say.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, absknicks said:

 

Those decisions are made at an organizational level. This was a message exclusively from the manager to a player.

 

Wasn't there all kinds of hubbub a couple years ago about Puig batting way down in the order?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, TheBoatmen said:

If I hit one 420 ft I would be expecting to be able to trot around the bases too,  it would be out of the park in 90% of ball parks.  I get it that you hustle every play but he didn't need to get grounded.  I am sure he realized his mistake when the ball didn't leave the yard.  He has been one of the better players on the team.  From a fantasy perspective I hope it causes a riff and he gets traded to an AL east team.  A guy can dream.

Does it really matter that if in 90% of the parks it would have been out of the park unless you want to imply he didn't know what park he was playing in? 

 

To compound the mistake he also got doubled off second. The way the postgame went it wasn't the first time that Roberts has talked to him about lack if hustling this year.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Low and Away said:

Does it really matter that if in 90% of the parks it would have been out of the park unless you want to imply he didn't know what park he was playing in? 

 

To compound the mistake he also got doubled off second. The way the postgame went it wasn't the first time that Roberts has talked to him about lack if hustling this year.

Given that it took a few innings to pull him, I think what another poster said is true as well. That Roberts probably talked to Cody in between innings and didn't like the response he got.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, atrium said:

Given that it took a few innings to pull him, I think what another poster said is true as well. That Roberts probably talked to Cody in between innings and didn't like the response he got.

 

Well, Bellinger didn't seem all too apologetic after the game, so that sounds about right.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Low and Away said:

Does it really matter that if in 90% of the parks it would have been out of the park unless you want to imply he didn't know what park he was playing in? 

 

To compound the mistake he also got doubled off second. The way the postgame went it wasn't the first time that Roberts has talked to him about lack if hustling this year.

 

I was actually going to ask about this when someone posted about the batters behind him being at fault (as if someone plans on hitting a DP).  I was actually watching the game but was looking at my phone when this play happened.  Was it a spectacular catch by Crawford?  Or poor awareness by Bellinger?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.