IlliniGuy76

Cody Bellinger 2018 Outlook

1 minute ago, ToO_BaD said:

I was actually going to ask about this when someone posted about the batters behind him being at fault (as if someone plans on hitting a DP).  I was actually watching the game but was looking at my phone when this play happened.  Was it a spectacular catch by Crawford?  Or poor awareness by Bellinger?

Pure speculation but what might be the problem about being doubled off second was he should have been on third in the manager's mind.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, shakestreet said:

Dave Roberts is an a** 

If by "a**" you mean "excellent manager", then I agree.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Low and Away said:

Pure speculation but what might be the problem about being doubled off second was he should have been on third in the manager's mind.

Makes a lot of sense. Not sure, I don't know a lot about Dodger stadium, but where Bellinger hit the ball isn't it an area considered Triples alley? 

If so, you consider that, thinking he should be on 3B in most situations, then gets doubled off, you can see where Roberts starts to steam, not to mention the pressure with being the manager of a team with the Dodgers salary cap.

4 minutes ago, Z06vette said:

Makes a lot of sense. Not sure, I don't know a lot about Dodger stadium, but where Bellinger hit the ball isn't it an area considered Triples alley? 

If so, you consider that, thinking he should be on 3B in most situations, then gets doubled off, you can see where Roberts starts to steam, not to mention the pressure with being the manager of a team with the Dodgers salary cap.

It's San Fransisco's park, but yea, it's called triples alley.  A few of the MLB Network guys were saying that should be a triple probably 90-something% of the time.  And, it's not like Bellinger is Albert Pujols out there.  

6 minutes ago, Z06vette said:

with the Dodgers salary cap AND expectations that they will not only win the division but also arguably the expectation they should win the World Series too!

11 minutes ago, Z06vette said:

Here's a highlight video of hits into triples alley I found online.  Obviously this isn't EVERY ball hit out there, but I don't think I even saw one guy who had to slide into 3rd.  I mean, Buster Posey even had a stand up triple hitting it out there.  Were even a couple poorly played balls that ended up inside the parkers.

I watched this game. He definitely thought it was gone. He carried his bat halfway to first with him as he was admiring the shot a bit. He was still running, but not at full speed. Here's a relevant video with a better angle starting at the :30 mark: https://mediadownloads.mlb.com/mlbam/mp4/2018/04/30/1991330883/1525054417236/asset_1800K.mp4

On the DP, he actually took a step forward on a liner hit in front of him to get doubled off. Mental error. It must have been a frustrating sequence as a manager of a losing ball club with the highest ambition. I understand and support the benching. 

• Like 1

So say he does triple.  The next guy K’d, the guy after lined out to second.  The next guy would of been 8 hitter, they would of INT walked him to get to pitcher.  Even if you think he didn’t hustle all the way the only thing that prevented the run from coming in was due to having losers in the lineup.  And that’s the managers fault.  So once again this whole spectacle that didn’t take any runs off the board only cost team their best hitter in a close game.  

Edited by Cmilne23

15 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

So say he does triple.  The next guy K’d, the guy after lined out to second.  The next guy would of been 8 hitter, they would of INT walked him to get to pitcher.  Even if you think he didn’t hustle all the way the only thing that prevented the run from coming in was due to having losers in the lineup.  And that’s the managers fault.  So once again this whole spectacle that didn’t take any runs off the board only cost team their best hitter in a close game.  

You can't judge an action simply based on the results in hindsight. There is a difference between being at 2nd with no outs vs being at 3rd with no outs, regardless of what actually ended up transpiring. The next guy up could've homered and the results would've been moot, but as a manager you still have to correct bad habits. I don't think anyone is going to argue that Max Muncy improves your odds of winning over Cody Bellinger, but like I said, as a manager you have to pick your spots and set an example to him and the rest of the team. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Can't believe this thread.  It's a ball in play,  move your arse. When you don't,  and get called by the manager,  own it.  

We wear caps and sleeves at this level,  son.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Roberts is a fool and a sorry excuse for a manager. Down in the game, leading off an inning you never want an out at 3rd. He's in scoring position at 2nd. When Bellinger hit the ball it looked gone and he was down on a knee coming out of the box. It would be foolish to try and stretch that into a triple. This is just the case of a manager grasping at straws to help an underachieving team. 

1 minute ago, evillaw4eva said:

Roberts is a fool and a sorry excuse for a manager. Down in the game, leading off an inning you never want an out at 3rd. He's in scoring position at 2nd. When Bellinger hit the ball it looked gone and he was down on a knee coming out of the box. It would be foolish to try and stretch that into a triple. This is just the case of a manager grasping at straws to help an underachieving team. 

Says the guy with the Cody Bellinger avatar. :lol:

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, 89Topps said:

Says the guy with the Cody Bellinger avatar. :lol:

Belly is the GOAT.

but seriously. This is less about him and more about Roberts. Doesn't make what I said less accurate. 

5 minutes ago, evillaw4eva said:

Belly is the GOAT.

but seriously. This is less about him and more about Roberts. Doesn't make what I said less accurate. 

I don't really care that much about the benching aspect of it, probably because I don't really care about the Dodgers.  I will say though, Bellinger should have easily reached 3rd on that ball.

17 hours ago, Cmilne23 said:

Say he actually got the triple with no outs, the defense plays in (close game), the pitcher maybe doesn't throw the same pitches with a runner on third, there is no double play at second base and even the way you describe it you turn the lineup over without him getting doubled off second. 

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Low and Away said:

Say he actually got the triple with no outs, the defense plays in (close game), the pitcher maybe doesn't throw the same pitches with a runner on third, there is no double play at second base and even the way you describe it you turn the lineup over without him getting doubled off second. 

to add to this post, having a runner on 3B with no outs is significantly different than having a runner on 2B with no outs.

a mid fly ball has a chance to drive in the runner from 3B.

• Like 2

If you have a runner on third with no outs, your chances of scoring a run are 84.3%, with an average of 1.35 runs scored per inning.

If you have a runner on second with no outs, your chances of scoring a run are 61.4%, with an average of 1.1 runs scored per inning.

It's a significant difference, and Roberts was right to send a message. Everyone needs to hustle, even the reigning NL ROY. And especially when your team is struggling to perform the way they were expected to.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Philoumenos said:

If you have a runner on third with no outs, your chances of scoring a run are 84.3%, with an average of 1.35 runs scored per inning.

If you have a runner on second with no outs, your chances of scoring a run are 61.4%, with an average of 1.1 runs scored per inning.

It's a significant difference, and Roberts was right to send a message. Everyone needs to hustle, even the reigning NL ROY. And especially when your team is struggling to perform the way they were expected to.

Why does this need to be explained on a fantasy baseball forum (not directing that at you, but at people who don't seem to 'get it').

• Like 1

18 hours ago, WahooManiac said:

Can't believe this thread.  It's a ball in play,  move your arse. When you don't,  and get called by the manager,  own it.  

We wear caps and sleeves at this level,  son.  

11 minutes ago, atrium said:

Why does this need to be explained on a fantasy baseball forum (not directing that at you, but at people who don't seem to 'get it').

Again,  why is the quality of contact even coming up here?  Idc if its a pop fly to the infield.  Run.  That easy.  Moving on

On 4/30/2018 at 10:39 AM, ToO_BaD said:

I was actually going to ask about this when someone posted about the batters behind him being at fault (as if someone plans on hitting a DP).  I was actually watching the game but was looking at my phone when this play happened.  Was it a spectacular catch by Crawford?  Or poor awareness by Bellinger?

https://www.mlb.com/gameday/dodgers-vs-giants/2018/04/29/529821#game_state=final,lock_state=final,game_tab=videos,game=529821

It was a great play by Crawford.  It was a low line drive, so not the kind that you would freeze on. Bellinger thought it was a hit all the way.  Also, the pitcher was on deck, so I think he was trying to get an even better jump to score there.

But yeah, if Roberts thought he should have been on third, then he should have scored on the play in the manager's mind.

That stadium causes a lot of this.  Giants have had to get on a lot of guys over the years that thought they hit homers and dogged it out of the box.  Brandon Belt has had it happen more than once and he always busts it out of the box now.  It was kind of funny watching Williamson bust it out of the box the other night on his 464 foot shot.  The Giants know it isn't a homer there until it actually clears the wall and have let their players know they have to run hard on everything.

21 minutes ago, atrium said:

Because sometimes people forget there’s an actual baseball game being played behind their AVG, R, RBI, HR line in their fantasy league. 

Yeah, sorry you missed out on more production from Bellinger in your fantasy game. But maybe now he’ll remember to bust it when he gets down the line in San Fran from now on. 

19 hours ago, 89Topps said:

I don't really care that much about the benching aspect of it, probably because I don't really care about the Dodgers.  I will say though, Bellinger should have easily reached 3rd on that ball.

OK, if we're going to talk about this thing like it's the assassination of JFK, let's at least do it right.

Watching the video of the play via MLB.tv with timestamps enabled, I see the following:

T+0: Bellinger makes contact with the ball.

T+0.5: Bellinger's knee hits the ground.

T+1: Bellinger takes his first crow-hop toward first as he regains his footing.

T+5: Ball hits warning track

T+6: Slater barehands the ball off the wall

T+9: Ball is in Hanson's glove about 60 feet from 2nd base.

Bellinger's sprint speed is 28.5 feet per second, which means he could, if he were a superhuman being with no need to accelerate up to his maximum sprint speed, cover the ~270 feet from home to third in 9.64 seconds.  Knowing that he got out of the box slow, from his knees, and knowing he's not, in fact, able to immediately go from standing at the plate to his maximum sprint speed, the idea that he should have "easily" reached third is pretty far-fetched.  It would have been a bang-bang play even if he hadn't knelt down on his swing, and even if he didn't have to ramp up to his sprint speed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, tonycpsu said:

OK, if we're going to talk about this thing like it's the assassination of JFK, let's at least do it right.

Watching the video of the play via MLB.tv with timestamps enabled, I see the following:

T+0: Bellinger makes contact with the ball.

T+0.5: Bellinger's knee hits the ground.

T+1: Bellinger takes his first crow-hop toward first as he regains his footing.

T+5: Ball hits warning track

T+6: Slater barehands the ball off the wall

T+9: Ball is in Hanson's glove about 60 feet from 2nd base.

Bellinger's sprint speed is 28.5 feet per second, which means he could, if he were a superhuman being with no need to accelerate up to his maximum sprint speed, cover the ~270 feet from home to third in 9.64 seconds.  Knowing that he got out of the box slow, from his knees, and knowing he's not, in fact, able to immediately go from standing at the plate to his maximum sprint speed, the idea that he should have "easily" reached third is pretty far-fetched.  It would have been a bang-bang play even if he hadn't knelt down on his swing, and even if he didn't have to ramp up to his sprint speed.

You trying to tell me Cody Bellinger is NOT superhuman?

Image result for jesus christ can't hit a curveball

Bellinger learned that the best way to not hustle to second is by hitting home runs. What a rip! 

• Like 1