IlliniGuy76

Cody Bellinger 2018 Outlook

I reminisce over the 2017 Outlook page and viewing those monster games he had in May/June and all the excitement around him... I hope he can snap out of it.

I think he changed his swing - not sure, sounded like the announcers mentioned it and if you look at his swing just from two weeks ago, his bat starts perpendicular along his shoulder, then he raises it.

Looked like today he started with the bat at the angle already.  In theory it should result in less movement from start to end of his swing and more consistency - assuming I'm not talking out my butt here on what I think I saw 

Just watched video and his swing was definitely different yesterday compared to the last HR he hit.  Hes holding the bat straighter instead of over his shoulder.  He went 2-4, but both singles.  Something to keep an eye on.  

• Thanks 2

For those of us concerned that he may lose his OF eligibility for next season, he is at 13 appearances in OF this year and Muncy is getting more time at 1B. 

I think we might be a safe bet for 20 appearances (ESPN criteria) for him to retain OF for next year. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, slainte said:

wow. this kid just flat out hits the ball day in, day out.

Sarcastic??

From CBS recently:

*He's striking out a little less and has a .298 BABIP vs. last year's .299. He's the same guy. He just hasn't gotten the same results.

Specifically, he hasn't seen as many of his fly balls land over the fence. He has seen quite a bit more go straight up in the air, landing in the glove of an infielder. But over the course of a season, you wouldn't expect an even distribution for either of those outcomes. Not long after getting called up last season, Bellinger had a 26-game stretch in which he hit .187 with five home runs. He homered 10 times in 10 games after that. Then came a stretch 26 games with just four home runs. Then came 18 with eight.*

From what Ive seen, he strikes out most the time on legit strikes, he has a good eye and doesn't chase.  The shift hurts him, he's going to have a streak at some point you are not going to want to miss

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I disagree. Talking to my friend who is a scout in California Saturday about what he sees. But here’s what I see.

he has tweaked his stance and approach. He looks more screwed up than ever. His hands are in a higher position, which would allow him to be able to get to the ball faster (and not be tied up by high and in fastballs that are beating him at will in 2018.) that’s all fine and dandy but he is clearly thinking too much in the box, never a good thing. He’s taking a ton of pitches and starting most counts 0-2 or 1-2. Then he’s done.

it has led to a few walks in recent games but I actually don’t see him coming out of it this season; unless he drastically changes. Just needs to go back to 2017 approach, relax. And he would be better off. He doesn’t chase the breaking balls down that got to him in the World Series. He lays off the high strikes.. the problem is when he gets the mistake pitch or two per game he’s swinging right through them or fouling them off. Last year so many of these were in the seats. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mevins31 said:

I disagree. Talking to my friend who is a scout in California Saturday about what he sees. But here’s what I see.

he has tweaked his stance and approach. He looks more screwed up than ever. His hands are in a higher position, which would allow him to be able to get to the ball faster (and not be tied up by high and in fastballs that are beating him at will in 2018.) that’s all fine and dandy but he is clearly thinking too much in the box, never a good thing. He’s taking a ton of pitches and starting most counts 0-2 or 1-2. Then he’s done.

it has led to a few walks in recent games but I actually don’t see him coming out of it this season; unless he drastically changes. Just needs to go back to 2017 approach, relax. And he would be better off. He doesn’t chase the breaking balls down that got to him in the World Series. He lays off the high strikes.. the problem is when he gets the mistake pitch or two per game he’s swinging right through them or fouling them off. Last year so many of these were in the seats. 

I liked his old stance better.  Harper has this stance.  Trout has been holding the bat perpendicular to the shoulders for at least a year now.  However I don't care for the toggle for such a tall guy with long limbs.  Same as with El Magnifico.  For Sheffield it worked pretty well obviously for his timing but he's just shy of 6 feet.

• Thanks 1

hope he doesn't sit tonight (at coors no less). even though they won without him last night, they can't afford to not have his awesomeness in the lineup. cody is greatness. bellinger is greatness. put them together and it's like the power of a pb&j launching balls in a zero-G environment from inside the home he calls the batter's box.

cody bellinger!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, slainte said:

hope he doesn't sit tonight (at coors no less). even though they won without him last night, they can't afford to not have his awesomeness in the lineup. cody is greatness. bellinger is greatness. put them together and it's like the power of a pb&j launching balls in a zero-G environment from inside the home he calls the batter's box.

cody bellinger!

Well he will play tonight. Marquez has good gas, and can beat him with it up. We need Marquez to make a bad mistake 

Yeah this guy is a major bust in fantasy and you are sort of going to live or die with it (mostly die right now).  Can't take him out really as your bench player is probably some marginal guy.  If you do take him out, he may go on a streak and you compound it.  He may also just continue to stink it up if you leave him in...caught between the proverbial rock and a hard place imo.  Sort of the same problem with Ozuna.  Not much you can do other than stick with it and hope for the best.

7 hours ago, secretagentman said:

Yeah this guy is a major bust in fantasy and you are sort of going to live or die with it (mostly die right now).  Can't take him out really as your bench player is probably some marginal guy.  If you do take him out, he may go on a streak and you compound it.  He may also just continue to stink it up if you leave him in...caught between the proverbial rock and a hard place imo.  Sort of the same problem with Ozuna.  Not much you can do other than stick with it and hope for the best.

No rock or hard place. Put him on the bench until he warms up. I'd rather him sit on my bench so I'm not accumulating his crappy stats and wait to see if he warms up. If he starts getting hot on my bench, then so be it. It won't hurt my feelings to see him put up a good week on my bench because it'll be a sign to me that he's coming out of his funk. The guy I've replaced him with has done quite well. 

I hope I'm wrong but I have major sophomore slump vibes happening here. Should still be a decent bet for 28-30 HR by years end but the avg might be pretty ugly. Reminds me a lot of Mookie's profile last year where everything looked OK but his ISO, BABIP, and HR/FB took a hit while his IFFB% increased.  

I could see something like .230/28/6 as a floor. 

People also need to remember - he has little to no support around him.  Turner has been hurt all year, Puig is significantly underperforming, Seager is hurt, Taylor hasn't hit as well as he did last year.  That's a HUGE play into his thing as well.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, IlliniGuy76 said:

People also need to remember - he has little to no support around him.  Turner has been hurt all year, Puig is significantly underperforming, Seager is hurt, Taylor hasn't hit as well as he did last year.  That's a HUGE play into his thing as well.

Kind of agree but Kemp is leading the NL hitting. Taylor has had .900 OPS and .400 OBP since may 1st. Puig has been better. Bellinger just sucks man

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, mevins31 said:

Kind of agree but Kemp is leading the NL hitting. Taylor has had .900 OPS and .400 OBP since may 1st. Puig has been better. Bellinger just sucks man

Well that's not true.

Kemp has been hitting well.

Taylor is hitting atop the order - not in the middle

That whole lineup is hurt or playing well below potential.  

40 minutes ago, IlliniGuy76 said:

Well that's not true.

So in one post you mention Taylor isn’t hitting as well as last year to help your point.  Then when another poster mentions his solid numbers since May 1st you counter with “well he is hitting at the top of the order.”  So which is it then that is supposed to support your argument .

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ToO_BaD said:

So in one post you mention Taylor isn’t hitting as well as last year to help your point.  Then when another poster mentions his solid numbers since May 1st you counter with “well he is hitting at the top of the order.”  So which is it then that is supposed to support your argument .

I think you absolutely know what my point is here.  1) Taylor has overall not hit as well as he has last year but has hit better as of late.  2)  He (Bellinger) hasn't remotely had the type of support around him that he did last year.  

Very clear and obvious points and both are facts.

Edited by IlliniGuy76

20 minutes ago, IlliniGuy76 said:

I think you absolutely know what my point is here.  1) Taylor has overall not hit as well as he has last year but has hit better as of late.  2)  He (Bellinger) hasn't remotely had the type of support around him that he did last year.  

Very clear and obvious points and both are facts.

I don’t care about your point of the supporting cast in general.  Just that when someone called you out on Taylor not hitting well, you then scampered to “well he is hitting at the top of the lineup.”  So which is it?

1 hour ago, IlliniGuy76 said:

Well that's not true.

Taylor was hitting 6th for a lot of May, directly behind Bellinger.

Bellinger benched Sunday against a RHP at Coors. 

Unbelievable. Is Roberts just trying to send him a message or does he honestly believe all these random off days will help him “clear his head”? 

I think he just needs to get a rhythm and some confidence and benching him at Coors against a RHP isn’t gonna help him.

3 minutes ago, smeeze said:

Unbelievable. Is Roberts just trying to send him a message or does he honestly believe all these random off days will help him “clear his head”? 

I think he just needs to get a rhythm and some confidence and benching him at Coors against a RHP isn’t gonna help him.

according to the beat writers it's just Roberts trying to give him more time off with the day off tomorrow to get his head right during the slump. Clearly this approach isn't working. Next stop in a few weeks will be AAA Oklahoma city.

i hope they lose today for sitting the greatest bat that could win a staring contest. they wouldn't know talent if it stood in front of them and continuously struck out.