IlliniGuy76

Kris Bryant 2018 Outlook

In his last 94 ABs he has an OPS of less than 600. I know of bullpen non roster catchers that have higher OPS’ than that. 

7 hours ago, osb_tensor said:

few interesting stats. according to statcast:

his avg exit velocity this season (87) is consistent with last season (87), but both are a little lower than in 2015 and 2016 (89 in both). nothing that screams "problem"

his avg launch angle is actually higher this season (19) than last (16), and more in line with 2015 and 2016 (19 and 20). again, nothing that jumps out as a negative.

the outfield positioning is pretty consistent year to year, where he sees a normal outfield configuration (i.e., not a shift) on about 91% of his pitches.

the infield positioning, though, has taken a nose dive this season. bryant has seen a dramatic increase in non-standard infield positioning (i.e., infield shift) on a per pitch basis.

• 2015 - 77.9% of pitches were with a standard infield position alignment by the defense
  • 2016 - 56.3%
  • 2017 - 62.6%
  • 2018 - 44.6%

obviously the infield shift doesn't play much of a role in hitting home runs, but i wonder if it could affect a change in his plate approach? also, this is opponent dependent and if he's played teams that shift more than others at the beginning of the season, it could regress as the season moves on. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

This is actually very alarming to me. 87.1 for a guy with his raw power is unfathomable. The MLB average is 87.3 Bryant is 6'5" and was one of the most vaunted power hitters in baseball a couple years ago. For reference sake, Aaron Judge's average exit velocity is nearly 10 MPH higher. To me, this shows that he's taken his sell out for contact approach a bit too far. He's decided he's going to strike out less but the only way he can do that is by not tapping into his power as much. He needs to find a happy medium where he keeps the K's in check but doesn't do so at the expense of his power swing so often.... easier said than done, of course, but I think that's what's going on here.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Jyeatbvg said:

He's actually droppable now...

giphy.gif

• Haha 2

He’s like the billy Madison scene with the flaming bag of poop... 

Anyone else feel he hasn’t been right since the concussion?

1 hour ago, cyberer said:

Anyone else feel he hasn’t been right since the concussion?

KB's injury happened at the end of April. He hit 6 of his Hr's (8 total) in the first 2 weeks of May. Don't think Concussion is causing this. If anything, this doesn't go back to the injury, it goes back to 2016, which was the last time he was performing to expectation. At this point, we're just trying to figure out who KB actually is. Is he more 2016 or 2017? Unfortunately, looking like 2016 is the outlier now. 

I know he's trying to be a more complete hitter with a more mature approach at the plate but frankly, it's not working.  It'd be a different story if he was hitting .320 and walking a ton but the dude is batting .280 and on pace to strike out 140 times still.  if you're gonna do that, might as well just sell out on the power, cash in the 40+ bombs and settle in the .275 area w/ 190 K's like you used to a couple yrs back.

This .280 with 20 hrs 80 rbi pace is garbage and kind of a bummer from one of your expected big time cornerstone hitters....

Edited by markygunit
  • Like 3

leading off today....

didnt think i was drafting a leadoff hitter who doesnt run...

really disappointed at this point