IlliniGuy76

Kris Bryant 2018 Outlook

29 minutes ago, Cesare13 said:

Taking any of those guys ahead of bryant 4 months ago would have been the risk pick,not the other way around.

Not really they all had better years than Bryant did last year

1 minute ago, azeri98 said:

Why all those guys had better years than Bryant did last year?

Come on, bro.. if you're telling me that you thought Judge came with less risk than Bryant, I'm going to say I don't believe you without proof. 

• Like 5

50 minutes ago, osb_tensor said:

Come on, bro.. if you're telling me that you thought Judge came with less risk than Bryant, I'm going to say I don't believe you without proof. 

I didn't say anything about risk, i just said they all had better years than Bryant did last year and he's still living off his MVP year as is Harper

45 minutes ago, DemOrioles said:

I love arguments like this.  Arguments where people wait until half the season is over to start saying “well uhh he should never been taken before these guys look at their stats.”

Because we all have magical crystal balls during the draft, right?  

Come on dude.  I drafted a ton of leagues and in none of them did any of those guys go before Bryant.

Based on the years they had last year, yea they all should have been drafted ahead of Bryant, I didn't draft him so i don't have a horse in the race i just thought his ADP was too high going in

People are pontificating that bryant was a risky pick, that anyone who picked him anywhere near round 1 was wrong. There is no universe where thats the case.

• Like 2

Hate to break up the draft-pick convo, but does anyone have any idea of a timetable for him?

9 hours ago, osb_tensor said:

i don't disagree, but how was kris bryant a risk? a thought-to-be perennial MVP contender in a stacked lineup..  he was about as safe as you can get.

I wasn't referring to Bryant's risk.  I was referring to the comment about how missing early picks can be a season killer.  I can see how it could have been construed that way though.

Bryant was a relatively low risk pick.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BMcP said:

Hate to break up the draft-pick convo, but does anyone have any idea of a timetable for him?

Nbc reported the dreaded "no timetable" but went on to add that for sure more than 10 days and a "good chance" his shoulder wont be 100% until 2019.  Add in the fact that hes been doing some weird extended one arm follow though that may have led to tbe injury in the first place.  That would require a re tooling.  Absolutely nothing indicating that he'll be of any significant use this season. No ones even mentioned the pitch he took to the head in april.

• Like 2

just a rufffffffff year

ill be buying next year tho.  im thinking he slips to the 3rd or later.  thoughts?

On 7/25/2018 at 12:08 PM, Chickie said:

The lost season for Kris Bryant. Untradeable at this point. Two consecutive sub par seasons. Some of his supporters I believe called him “ unlucky”. Some will point to the shoulder injury. Me? I’ll take 50 cents on the dollar if I can. 

How in hell was he subpar last year?  Hit .295 with 29 homers.  He was ranked the 3rd best 3B with only Arendo and Jose Ramirez ranked higher in standard fantasy leagues.  Yeah give me that "subpar" performance anytime, thank you.

This year he has been playing through some injury for some time it seems.  Amazing the hyperbole on this site.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, jfazz23 said:

just a rufffffffff year

ill be buying next year tho.  im thinking he slips to the 3rd or later.  thoughts?

Way too early to tell.  My guess is that someone over drafts mid second because of a spring report that "he's never felt better."  He'll be on everyone's third round radar the way everyone thought they'd get Johnny cueto in round 14 this year. He'll probably be such a popular sleeper,he'll get over drafted.  All of this is assuming the probable likelihood that his MRI comes back showing some problem and/or he contributes a meh 3 weeks or so in September.  If he pulls a goldshmidt (he wont) then he probably just moves up a handful of spots on most people's boards.  If bryce harper cant make it to round 2,bryant certainly won't make it to round 3.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

How in hell was he subpar last year?  Hit .295 with 29 homers.  He was ranked the 3rd best 3B with only Arendo and Jose Ramirez ranked higher in standard fantasy leagues.  Yeah give me that "subpar" performance anytime, thank you.

This year he has been playing through some injury for some time it seems.  Amazing the hyperbole on this site.

73 RBIs in light of 29 HRs isn’t very impressive at all. Everyone hit 29 HRs last year. Certainly not the first round production that everyone anticipated coming off his MVP season. It wasn’t a bust of a season, however it wasn’t worthy of an early first round selection.

.300,30 (and 111 runs!!) Is exactly what i want from round 1. Those numbers wouldn't have upset me if it was trout (ok,maybe not trout,but arenado.)

1 hour ago, Chickie said:

73 RBIs in light of 29 HRs isn’t very impressive at all. Everyone hit 29 HRs last year. Certainly not the first round production that everyone anticipated coming off his MVP season. It wasn’t a bust of a season, however it wasn’t worthy of an early first round selection.

That's on the team.  Not on Bryant.  And yeah I expected something like 29 homers as more realistic than his first anomaly year.  No one would expect anything like that first year ever again. 

As for first round?  Who cares.  First round is just a bunch of wild guesses most years anyway with Trout the only sure thing so far year to year to year.  Harper is a yo-yo from excellent to poor years.  Altuve has World Series Hangover this year.  Donaldson has been injured and circling the drain.  Stupid Nats manager puts Trea Turner in  a position where he can't steal much either deep in the line up or ahead of Harper.  Etc etc.

In other words, baseball is happening with it's playing through injuries and cat and mouse games with the pitchers and stupid manager moves etc.  Bryant isn't some anomaly this season any more than a lot of other players.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 1

I honestly thought (last year) the first year was just a taste of what was to come.  Most players of that pedigree dont peak at 24.  Experts were saying he was a candidate to hit 50!,with an average in the 300s and maybe double digit steals.  And unlike buxton,he was actually showing it.  

Edited by Cesare13

According to yahoo sportd. MRI came back clean and showed no structural damage. Bryant says he wont wont be out for long. 

Forgive me for being skeptical.

I’m ok with this as long as the Mets didn’t trade their medical crew to the Cubs

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Stickfig13 said:

How did he not have an MRI the last time he was on the DL? 

He did - and that showed no structural damage either

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IlliniGuy76 said:

He did - and that showed no structural damage either

Syndergaard checked him out, he’s good to go. 

• Haha 4

11 hours ago, mavsfan23 said:

Syndergaard checked him out, he’s good to go. 

Eh I'll choose to go with two MRI's that have come back clean.  The diagnosis:  More rest & less swinging of the bat till he's fully pain free.

Shaping up to be a completely lost season for Bryant. I was really high on him during spring training, thinking he'd bounce back. Boy was I wrong...the biggest bust out of the first two rounds for all of the hitters. I don't know what happened to this guy. I highly doubt I'll be going near him next season (which he'll probably blow up because...fantasy sports.)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cesare13 said:

My stomach feels a “little discomfort” every time I read an update about him.

Same. I can't help but think he's going to stay on my DL until they announce to shut him down. 

If not for the extra DL slots added this season,  he would be off my roster.  Waste of space 

• Like 1