IlliniGuy76

Kris Bryant 2018 Outlook

Per Maddon his shoulder is still bothering him. This...is ungood. Dropping him needs to be a serious thought in a lot of leagues. There's a lot of season left but there's not THAT much season left. 

15 minutes ago, daethfromabove1979 said:

If Bryant returns, I’m going to trade him for pretty much anything. Lost season.

Why? Bryant ruined me too,but he OWES me! What am i gonna get? An sp4? An awful closer? Its POSSIBLE he was playing through the injury and comes back and puts all star numbers.  You don't win pools by selling low. And this is as low as it gets. If i have an awful last 8 weeks,its gonna be with my top pick on my team.

8 hours ago, Cesare13 said:

Why? Bryant ruined me too,but he OWES me! What am i gonna get? An sp4? An awful closer? Its POSSIBLE he was playing through the injury and comes back and puts all star numbers.  You don't win pools by selling low. And this is as low as it gets. If i have an awful last 8 weeks,its gonna be with my top pick on my team.

There is definitely a time for selling low and I believe Bryant is a prime candidate. Clearly this shoulder issue isn’t going away easily so he’s a risk to even stay healthy for the rest of the year, his name value should net you something decent. 

no one wants him in redraft - no reasonably intelligent manager is trading for this  injury bust.  Most teams in my leagues just have him parked firmly on their bench wasting a roster spot.

No one wants him and he can't be moved (in redraft at least).

I'm only holding on because I have him in a keeper.  Just a huge disappointment....HUGE.

Do we still think Bryant is a top 10 keeper?

I know everyone's value tends to go down quite a bit when injured, but KBs injury doesn't seem to be that serious and should be back this season. MRI has shown no damage and the injury should explain the struggles in the 1st half.

This is a player who is 26 years old and has had an average of .930 OPS and 35 hrs the last 2 seasons.

I believe his value has definitely gone down, but now would be a great time to buy low on a potential top 10 player

The time to sell low in re-draft leagues was 3-4 weeks ago prior to this latest injury and right before he was coming back from the DL. Unfortunately, many of us savvy owners were instead trying to buy him thinking perhaps his injury was behind us. I know I bought him in many leagues even for the likes of Jose Martinez (when he wasn't being benched). 

I'm still sticking with him as if good news pops up and he's back in say 2 or 3 weeks, in redraft leagues he can be a serviceable 3b/OF during the playoffs with potential for greatness. 

55 minutes ago, Febonacci said:

Do we still think Bryant is a top 10 keeper?

I know everyone's value tends to go down quite a bit when injured, but KBs injury doesn't seem to be that serious and should be back this season. MRI has shown no damage and the injury should explain the struggles in the 1st half.

This is a player who is 26 years old and has had an average of .930 OPS and 35 hrs the last 2 seasons.

I believe his value has definitely gone down, but now would be a great time to buy low on a potential top 10 player

All this KB sell/buy stuff is case specific and depends on the league.  In redrafts,I’d trade him for 9th round value or so. otherwise I’d rather keep him and hope for a strong end.  In keeper leagues, if things remain status’s quo,he’s probably a late second rounder next year with an injury scare type thing like Strasbourg or Stanton 2 years ago.  Also depends on your position in the pool. He’s high risk,high reward.  The one certainty in all of this is that Bryant will in no way,shape or form be top 10 next year (draft at least)to answer your question.

Let's hope for a 10 homer September to push we roto guys up in the standings when it matters most. 

• Like 1

He is unsure when he can swing the bat. I am also unsure why he is still on my roster lol

18 minutes ago, urban2014 said:

He is unsure when he can swing the bat. I am also unsure why he is still on my roster lol

Only reason for me is because I have the DL spot available.  I really think he's fine to drop, though.  "Unsure" when he can swing a bat again...yeah, that makes me feel good.

18 minutes ago, urban2014 said:

This made me google the quote, and...ugh. Even moreso than it has been. I think those facing a roster crunch may need to abandon ship and dump him.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/ct-spt-cubs-kris-bryant-injury-20180805-story.html#

1 hour ago, urban2014 said:

He took grounders...Still not hitting...

Sweet.  My first round pick next year in fantasy fielding for sure!

Ugh.

Joe Maddon during his weekly show on the local sports station in Chicago said that Bryant - upon his return - won't be playing at 100% the rest of the season.  When asked if it's possible that at the end of the season they'll want to scope the shoulder to see what's going on, he evaded the question.

Back by the end of the month? So he'll play in September (probably mid )? Whewf..i was wondering who would hit .260 with 2 Hrs while missing every 3rd game during that important stretch. 

• Like 2

Lost season...killing me and many other owners.  We'll get angry...we'll drop him in keepers and/or push him down in our drafts next year.  He'll go off.  We'll be pissed.

What pisses me off most is I've never seen a legit superstar so hell-bent on self destruction.

Dude breaks out for .290 with 40 bombs at age 24. Naturally, he decides to change his swing, approach, and everything else possible to aggravate his shoulder. Worst example I've ever seen of trying to do too much and be too perfect. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, DannyMcPot said:

What pisses me off most is I've never seen a legit superstar so hell-bent on self destruction.

Dude breaks out for .290 with 40 bombs at age 24. Naturally, he decides to change his swing, approach, and everything else possible to aggravate his shoulder. Worst example I've ever seen of trying to do too much and be too perfect. 

I thought his injury was due to a slide.  

57 minutes ago, B&F said:

I thought his injury was due to a slide.  

Too lazy to look for the source,but I read that the main injury was caused by a change in him lengthening his lead arm on his swings.  This was made worse by taking repeated swings in the batting cage to try to get out of a slump.  Either way,slide,swing,beaning,he’s been out for 2 months,will probably be 3,and he probably tried to play through it for at least awhile.  I too can’t understand why he mucked around with his swing.  He tried being more like joey votto,he got the decrease in power part,just not the obp.