IlliniGuy76

Kris Bryant 2018 Outlook

Have a feeling as well this is a lost season.  Wouldn't surprise me if he came back strong next season though.

He will probably sit 2 times a week to rest the shoulder.

10 minutes ago, Chickie said:

The lost season for Kris Bryant. Untradeable at this point. Two consecutive sub par seasons. Some of his supporters I believe called him “ unlucky”. Some will point to the shoulder injury. Me? I’ll take 50 cents on the dollar if I can. 

So the lack of RBI in 2017 made it a lost season? Nothing is season ending yet, so yes it's painful in Roto, but h2h is still hopeful if you're in contention.

is he even a top 50 player going into next year?if he is i won't be drafting him

• Like 1

22 hours ago, azeri98 said:

is he even a top 50 player going into next year?if he is i won't be drafting him

i'd guess so.. i doubt he'll slip past the third round (in 12 teamers). somebody will take a chance on a rebound. obviously, what happens the rest of this season will play a part, but unless he's critically injured and it's something that could be long term, there's no way he lasts up to, or past, 50 IMO.

Man...i was so proud of myself for making the "safe pick" to build a foundation. This guy is garbage. Season killer.

Just now, Cesare13 said:

Man...i was so proud of myself for making the "safe pick" to build a foundation. This guy is garbage. Season killer.

Missing on an early round pick will do that.  I have learned that lesson.  No longer taking risks early.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, B&F said:

Missing on an early round pick will do that.  I have learned that lesson.  No longer taking risks early.

i don't disagree, but how was kris bryant a risk? a thought-to-be perennial MVP contender in a stacked lineup..  he was about as safe as you can get.

• Like 4

Yeah,he was shpposed to be mr.safety.  Kershaw was a risk,you could even argue turner.  I liked bryant because of his safe floor and really high ceiling. Turns out the floor was just covered with a fancy rug. It was actually built on soggy carboard and collapsed into a deep pit. He might have a fantasy mvp season one of these years,but it wont be on my team.

Edited by Cesare13

2 hours ago, Cesare13 said:

Season killer is a bit harsh.  [Removed Cool Story]

You win your league in the middle rounds and the waiver wire.

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, B&F said:

28 minutes ago, DemOrioles said:

Season killer is a bit harsh.  [Removed Cool Story]

You win your league in the middle rounds and the waiver wire.

So so so true.  The sooner people realize these points, the better their fantasy results will be.  Draft for FLOOR in the first 3 rounds.  Draft for floor/ceiling combination in the middle rounds (guys with stable floors but good potential for more).  Draft for ceiling and upside in the late rounds.  Be VERY active on the wire in April and May.  PROFIT.

I'll take Bryant in round 3 in every draft I'm in next year if he is there.

Maybe Bryant and Winker can rehab together once this rapidly escalates to surgery. 

1 hour ago, CAT said:

So so so true.  The sooner people realize these points, the better their fantasy results will be.  Draft for FLOOR in the first 3 rounds.  Draft for floor/ceiling combination in the middle rounds (guys with stable floors but good potential for more).  Draft for ceiling and upside in the late rounds.  Be VERY active on the wire in April and May.  PROFIT.

That blue print for drafting is nothing new or revolutionary. The more competitive and knowledgeable the league,the harder it is to work the wire.  Most difference makers are scooped up weeks before anyone else hears about them.  In competitive pools,the stats differences are extremely close. Doesnt change the fact that anyone that drafted kb was forced to play him for 3 months of bad stats,then replace him with likely worse ones.

20 minutes ago, Cesare13 said:

That blue print for drafting is nothing new or revolutionary. The more competitive and knowledgeable the league,the harder it is to work the wire.  Most difference makers are scooped up weeks before anyone else hears about them.  In competitive pools,the stats differences are extremely close. Doesnt change the fact that anyone that drafted kb was forced to play him for 3 months of bad stats,then replace him with likely worse ones.

I didnt say it was new or revolutionary.  But even in highly competitive leagues, you still see guys getting way overdrafted based on ceiling alone throughout the draft.  In fact, that kind of thing is actually even more pervasive in competitive leagues imo because people always want to be the guy that drafted the breakout (ESPECIALLY keeper leagues).

Its fantasy baseball 101...meanwhile you see people forget and/or ignore the basics in almost every draft.

i still think Bryant has a pretty reliable floor, myself.  This season has been ruined by injury.  Its too bad because of how good the Cubs offense has been...Bryant could have had a huge year.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CAT said:

Why does this matter? 

Dude is hurt. Drafting him in the 3rd next year is going to be great if healthy. 

6 hours ago, osb_tensor said:

i don't disagree, but how was kris bryant a risk? a thought-to-be perennial MVP contender in a stacked lineup..  he was about as safe as you can get.

He wasn't that great last year, not worthy of a 1st round pick, he's still living off his MVP year

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, azeri98 said:

He wasn't that great last year, not worthy of a 1st round pick, he's still living off his MVP year

He still had a .946 OPS last year. A lot of people thought there would a course correction in the RBI totals.

Unfortunately he wasnt even great this season when healthy and 3B has been really deep.

He's right there with Sanchez as bust of the year.

• Like 1

Aside from trout, altuve, arenado,pretty much EVERYONE had a question mark or risk of some sort in round 1 this year. Bryant’s was one of the Lower ones.  He was a late first to mid second rounder. Anywhere in that range should not have raised any eyebrows and he was arguably the safest bat at point .  The fact that he played hurt is what is so damaging.  Moving forward,  He’s  lowered his launch angle to get less bombs,increased his walks to lower rbi and this shoulder might be a constant question mark.  I’d say the ceiling has lowered and the floor has absolutely sunk.  To be fair,he hasn’t been Gary Sanchez awful,maybe third round is a good bargain,but he’s starting to get that bryce Harper,Giancarlo Stanton,Troy tulowitzki type of feel.

40 minutes ago, azeri98 said:

His ADP was 15.

6 minutes ago, osb_tensor said:

His ADP was 15.

Still went ahead of Lindor, Machado, Jram, JD Martinez and Judge just to name a few

1 hour ago, azeri98 said:

You could say the exact same thing about Bryce Harper.

53 minutes ago, azeri98 said:

Still went ahead of Lindor, Machado, Jram, JD Martinez and Judge just to name a few

Taking any of those guys ahead of bryant 4 months ago would have been the risk pick,not the other way around.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, azeri98 said:

The goggles you're wearing only work in hindsight. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, osb_tensor said:

The goggles you're wearing only work in hindsight. 

Why all those guys had better years than Bryant did last year?