Sidearmer

Mike Minor 2018 Outlook

Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic reports that the Rangers have agreed to a contract with free agent left-hander Mike Minor.

Jon Morosi of MLB.com reports that the Rangers' plan is to utilize Mike Minor in the starting rotation.

Originally when I saw Minor was signed by the Rangers I figured it would be to fill the fireman Andrew Miller type role, but now sounds like he will be utilized as a starter. This should pique the interest of fantasy players. He once was an intriguing prospect, and has proved in the past he is durable enough to start. He put it all together in 2013 with a 200 inning season that was very useful for fantasy purposes.

After injury in 2014 he missed 2 full seasons, with exception to some AAA rehab starts in 2016 (which didn't go so well). But then he was thoroughly dominant last year out of the pen. He was dominant against lefties, but didn't give up much against righties either. This tells me he still has an arsenal that can get both sides out which is conducive to being a good starter. It will be interesting to track him this year, but he can easily fly under the radar as a stud starting pitching option this year.

Edited by Sidearmer
typo

Was kind of  hoping from a fantasy standpoint he was gonna be signed to close somewhere as his best year as a professional was last year out of the pen.  As a starter back in the day with the Braves, he was OK was never a huge K guy, sub KperIP ratio numbers were pretty good but certainly not elite and that was pre-juiced ball and that was in the National League in ATL vs in the AL in Texas.  He turns 30 later this month - I could certainly see him being an adequate starter, but probably not a fantasy stud as a starter. 

• Like 1

Yeah, there's a lot to like in the profile but a lot to hate about the situation.  Can't deny the upside, but the question marks prevent him from being a guy I want any part of except as an end-game flier / early season waiver grab.

I think there is still a chance he closed in Texas . It could depend on who Texas signs or trades for before the season starts . There isn't a closer on the team worth his contract . 

At  this point it's just wait and see.

Edited by motown magic
Spelling
  • Like 3

Have to think he is won't be as good as a starter.  

Edited by B&F

Kind of hoping he bombs as a starter so he gets moved back to the bullpen and with SP/RP eligibility is again a huge ratio help in a middle relief role/maybe closing role at some point :)

33 minutes ago, einstein2u said:

is there anything to see here.  pitcherlist #68????

what am i missing?

He likes his repertoire and uptick in velocity (from ST)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fingy said:

He likes his repertoire and uptick in velocity (from ST)

Definitely worth a late round flyer IMO.   He has experience as a starter and put up some very good numbers as a SP with the Braves.

7 minutes ago, Zig Zag said:

Definitely worth a late round flyer IMO.   He has experience as a starter and put up some very good numbers as a SP with the Braves.

He had one good year as a brave. The other 4+ ERAs are just meh. Plus, that was five years ago. I still am a little entrigued cause I did used to like him on the Braves, but still don’t think he’ll stick around on many fantasy teams as anything more than a streamer.

Edited by hangin n wangin

8 hours ago, hangin n wangin said:

He had one good year as a brave. The other 4+ ERAs are just meh. Plus, that was five years ago. I still am a little entrigued cause I did used to like him on the Braves, but still don’t think he’ll stick around on many fantasy teams as anything more than a streamer.

I don't think late round flyers stick around on teams very long in any situation.  And not to argue over semantics but the two years that Minor pitched 170+ innings with the Braves he had a 1.15 WHIP and a 1.09 WHIP.  2013 was a great year for him and you could argue 2012 wasn't really a bad year too.

He's not draftable in standard leagues yet but a good streaming option on the road and someone to monitor. If he's off to a good start it will be smart not to ignore him.

2 hours ago, Zig Zag said:

I don't think late round flyers stick around on teams very long in any situation.  And not to argue over semantics but the two years that Minor pitched 170+ innings with the Braves he had a 1.15 WHIP and a 1.09 WHIP.  2013 was a great year for him and you could argue 2012 wasn't really a bad year too.

Well some do....it's not common, but it happens. And that's the main reason I said I see Minor as more of a streamer. And yes, I agree. He had one really good year on the Braves and two decent ones, but like I said, the 4+ ERA's are meh for me. Definitely not bad, but not good either.

I am sure I'll stream Minor at some point this year. He has definitely already been on my radar.

29 minutes ago, Sidearmer said:

He's not draftable in standard leagues yet but a good streaming option on the road and someone to monitor. If he's off to a good start it will be smart not to ignore him.

Agreed.

Edited by hangin n wangin

Anyone watching him pitch? 3 innings, 1 H, 0 ER, 1 BB and 3 Ks against the Astros.

Faded toward the end, but early results were promising against a tough matchup. Just afraid of the 4.2 and 5.2 inning starts becoming a routine with him as a converted reliever / injury risk. Still a wait and see guy for me. Home against Toronto next start should be a bit easier.

I think 5 or 6 innings are about all to hope for out of him, I'm little worried when it starts to heat up in Texas he could get knocked around some. But looks good so far.

Obviously not worth owning except in deeper leagues, but what do you guys think of him?

Through 10 starts this season:

54.1 IP

5.63 ERA (4.66 FIP, 4.39 xFIP)

1.33 WHIP

50 strikeouts

12 walks

10 home runs allowed

Negatives: Doesn't pitch deep into games, gets hit hard

Positives: Has pitched 6+ innings in 4 of his last 6 starts, has a good K/BB ratio, the peripherals suggest he's been closer to medicore than his bad ERA indicates

I'm holding on to him in a 16-team league that values both Wins and QS where decent starting pitching is hard to come by. All of his starts recently have been just bad enough to make me not feel great about him, but just decent enough to make me want to hold him and give him another shot.

Hey Rotoworld, I realize he isn’t the best pitcher in the world, but you can please provide an update or even mention that he had his start skipped yesterday?  Some of us play in AL only leagues and an update would be nice. Thanks. 

3 hours ago, juice219 said:

Hey Rotoworld, I realize he isn’t the best pitcher in the world, but you can please provide an update or even mention that he had his start skipped yesterday?  Some of us play in AL only leagues and an update would be nice. Thanks. 

He was scratched yesterday with back stiffness. Haven't seen anything on Twitter about when he is going to return to the mound, but the Rangers starter for Sunday is to be announced. So perhaps, he will pitch tomorrow.

• Thanks 1