Cmilne23

David Dahl 2018 Outlook

David Dahl (back) is expected to begin swinging a bat in two weeks.

Dahl was supposed to open the 2017 season as the Rockies' starting left fielder, but he suffered a stress reaction in the upper backside of his rib cage at spring training and wound up appearing in just 19 games -- all of them in the minors. Rockies GM Jeff Bridich told the Denver Post recently that there is some uncertainty about whether this will be a chronic thing: "We really don’t know," said Bridich. "I don’t think anybody really knows as this point. But things are looking good now. That’s all we are going off right now. Things are progressing as they should and there haven’t been any snags in the winter months."

Doesn’t like there’s a ton of clarity on his status for next year.  Doubt the Rockies go into next season pegging a spot for him.  The ultimate wild card.  Can anyone recall another player who had this injury and what recovery was?  This seems to more than is being let on. 

If he can play in a full body cast i will draft him

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

he's a flier for sure, but the talent was there... could pay off big time for those who are willing to burn a late round pick.

I'll take a shot for the right price. He could be a stud for nothing.

• Like 1

Nice power speed combo when (if) he's healthy.  Hasn't shown the greatest plate discipline.  Anyone getting at bats in Coors is worth a flier, and if he doesn't pan out you can follow him on the instagrams and get some cool pictures.   

I could see him being one of the big risers or fallers in the spring depending on reports. If he's healthy and has a starting spot locked up the hype machine will start cranking and his draft position will rise. If he's already banged up in the spring he'll be written off.

Edited by fletch44

Even if he's fully healthy, there isn't a full time spot for him in this offense. Reynolds, Parra, and Desmond will be swapping between corner OF spots and 1B, while Raimel Tapia should get an opportunity for more ABs this year. I think there are better fliers out there that have similar potential with better path to ABs.

36 minutes ago, Sidearmer said:

Even if he's fully healthy, there isn't a full time spot for him in this offense. Reynolds, Parra, and Desmond will be swapping between corner OF spots and 1B, while Raimel Tapia should get an opportunity for more ABs this year. I think there are better fliers out there that have similar potential with better path to ABs.

Do you really think the Rockies resign Reynolds? Last year they gave a one year contract with Desmond and Dahl injured. IF they do sign him it will be as a bench bat and probably means Dahl still isn't ready. Tapia probably leapfrogs Reynolds in that case as a starting OF.

5 hours ago, Low and Away said:

Do you really think the Rockies resign Reynolds? Last year they gave a one year contract with Desmond and Dahl injured. IF they do sign him it will be as a bench bat and probably means Dahl still isn't ready. Tapia probably leapfrogs Reynolds in that case as a starting OF.

Even without Reynolds, that OF is pretty crowded. PT is gonna be tough.

If he's around in my last handful of picks

I would consider a flier

I would even trade pitching for him

THIN AIR

Edited by XxxOilOverloadxxX

2001079.png
DAVID DAHL COL LF
Rockies' David Dahl: To start swinging Thursday
5H AGO

Dahl (back) will be able to start swinging a bat Thursday, Patrick Saunders of The Denver Post reports.

Although Dahl was expected to start hitting again by the middle of December, this marks another positive step in his recovery from a back ailment that has bothered him since late July. There hasn't been much word regarding the condition of his injury, but if all goes well within the next couple months, he should be able to return to the field for most of spring training.

giphy.gif

I get the reasons to draft him but a back injury at a relative young age makes me nervous.

Someone will overdraft him and it won't be me.

47 minutes ago, this guy right here said:

Guy will win leagues if healthy.

This guy right here gets it. Dahl is a game changer if he puts it all together.

On 12/6/2017 at 5:01 AM, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

Staying far away from this cat. 

He could end up being a good sleeper as Dahl certainly has the upside for it.  But keep in mind he missed almost an entire season.  He played 19 games in the minors but was out most of the season with a back injury was never supposed to be all that bad.  Also don't be surprised if the shift hurts him.  We will see how Spring Training goes but I wouldn't be surprised if Dahl struggled in April this season.

• Like 1

Says he's healthy:

David Dahl - OF - Rockies

David Dahl (back) will begin swinging a bat Thursday at the Rockies' spring training complex in Arizona.

Dahl was limited to 19 minor league rehab games in 2017 due to a stress reaction in the upper backside of his rib cage, but he'll carry a clean bill of health into 2018. "I feel great. I don't have any issues," Dahl told MLB.com on Wednesday upon arriving in Scottsdale. "I'm completely healed. I feel strong. I'm ready for spring training to get here so I can prove to everyone that I'm ready." The 23-year-old outfielder batted .315/.359/.500 over his first 63 major league games in 2016 and should not be a forgotten man in fantasy drafts this spring.
  • Like 1

If I can get him at a good, reasonable price, I would absolutely love to have him. I'm not going to draft him in the 10th or anything and take some big risks, but he could be such an incredible value if he's going near the end of the draft

7 hours ago, this guy right here said:

Guy will win leagues if healthy.

Probably.  And I’ll be filthy rich if I win powerball 

6 hours ago, elrey said:

This guy right here gets it. Dahl is a game changer if he puts it all together.

Game changer is a strong term.