Yanks#1

Clayton Kershaw 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2018-11-05. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

The gun in Arizona had him at 88-90. This is slightly more concerning than the homers, IMO. It's not unusual to see him struggle slightly with location early in the season. I cannot recall him not popping the gun at 92-94, however. 

23 minutes ago, Homerj24 said:

The gun in Arizona had him at 88-90. This is slightly more concerning than the homers, IMO. It's not unusual to see him struggle slightly with location early in the season. I cannot recall him not popping the gun at 92-94, however. 

I blame the humidor

36 minutes ago, Homerj24 said:

Don't trust Arizona's gun.  Nearly everyone is giving up more homers.  It's the cool new thing.  

If his velo is down a bit early on and he avoids long DL stints this year I’m good with that. 

I love that he’s getting a lot of borderline calls in this game. Getting called strikes on pitches I’ve never seen consistently called strikes before. 

Also, they just showed that he has the lowest ERA of any pitcher since the deadball era. And by nearly a half run. That’s insane. 

Meanwhile Godley was getting zero borderline or even corner/edge strikes called. 

Thank goodness for Kershaw though as I had both him and Godley going. 

Does Tyler Chatwood throw left handed now?  Or is that box score right on the 6 walls?

• Sad 1

He is still a great pitcher, as you can see by his numbers before this game. Tonight was weird though. I don't know if I've ever seen a 6 walk performance from Kersh.

17 minutes ago, RedRaider27 said:

He is still a great pitcher, as you can see by his numbers before this game. Tonight was weird though. I don't know if I've ever seen a 6 walk performance from Kersh.

Especially against a little league lineup.  Crazy game that baseball.  Onto the next.  

3 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

Especially against a little league lineup.  Crazy game that baseball.  Onto the next.  

Exactly right, and for some reason it seems people haven't taken advantage of Miami as much as everyone thought they would. Probably just luck for Miami at this point, but still. As for Kershaw, wouldn't surprise me if he threw 7 scoreless with 10 Ks next outing. He's fine.

He's not himself at this point, I hope he rights the ship, that being said the Dodgers vaunted offense doesn't score when he pitches.

I don't get what all the crying is about. His ERA is still under 3, and before last night, his WHIP was under 1. 4 of his first 5 starts were quality starts. The Ks are still there too. He had a bad game, it happens. He's still a top 3 pitcher in baseball, easily. When he's on, there's no one I'd take over him. He'll be fine guys, don't worry.

• Like 4

Walks up, strikeouts and velocity down.  6 walks to a bad Marlins lineup.  Worried?  No.  Concerned?  A little.

• Sad 1

Did anyone catch what his FB velocity was on average last night? Literally traded for him right before the game and I was blissfully unaware that this was even an issue before reading his thread :blink:

59 minutes ago, 6Kill said:

Did anyone catch what his FB velocity was on average last night? Literally traded for him right before the game and I was blissfully unaware that this was even an issue before reading his thread :blink:

Brooks Bball had his FB at 91.78 last night

• Thanks 1

I’m about as big as a Dodger fan as you’ll find and I watch as many games as possible. Having said that it’s clear that we are watching Clayton slowing climbing down from the best pitcher on the planet pedestal. He’s still an elite ace but we’ve all come to expect near perfection from him so when he has an off day it’s just so out of character. I would never draft a pitcher high enough to have ever owned him in the past or this year. I think better days are ahead for him and the Dodgers but his best years are in the past now. Go Blue! 

• Like 1

Anyone look at tonight's matchup and get a little nervous?

Just now, Beakman said:

No. He's Kershaw and he's coming off a bad outing. I think he goes at Arizona and gives it to em. Maybe they hit him, but I'm never nervous when Kershaw is on the bump in the regular season.

1 hour ago, Beakman said:

With the way the Dodgers have been playing and Kershaw not looking anything close to himself I have very little confidence in him tonight

28 minutes ago, Triple Short Of a Cycle said:

With the way the Dodgers have been playing and Kershaw not looking anything close to himself I have very little confidence in him tonight

I look forward to coming back to this thread later tonight. There are a lot of things that might worry me in this world.. A Clayton Kershaw start vs the Dback is/will never be one of them. 

Tonight prediction: 7innings, 5 hits, 1 earned, 1bb, 9ks (W)

• Like 1

17 hours ago, exzacly909 said:

I look forward to coming back to this thread later tonight. There are a lot of things that might worry me in this world.. A Clayton Kershaw start vs the Dback is/will never be one of them. 

Tonight prediction: 7innings, 5 hits, 1 earned, 1bb, 9ks (W)

Did you make it back on here last night?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Triple Short Of a Cycle said:

Did you make it back on here last night?

Really?

I put: 7innings, 5 hits, 1 earned, 1 bb, 9ks

He went: 6innings, 6 hits, 2 earned, 6ks 

Yeah, you really got me there.