Yanks#1

Clayton Kershaw 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2018-11-05. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

There’s Something about seeing a doctor whose name looks like El Attaché I don’t like

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Does it start today or retroactive to last week?

4 minutes ago, kidtwentytwo said:

There’s Something about seeing a doctor whose name looks like El Attaché I don’t like

Better than El Dettached

Edited by Members_Only_76
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, kidtwentytwo said:

Well that can’t be good 

1 hour ago, countseth said:

Yeah I always hear elbow stuff in relation to TJS. The biceps thing didn’t make Tommy John come to mind immediately, but I hear a lot of that talk in response to this news. 

1 hour ago, B&F said:

Biceps tendonitis is not associated with TJS.

Uh yes it is. There have been a whole bunch of if instances where a pitcher reports biceps soreness, and then when an MRI is finally done it turns out that the cause of the problem is actually a strained/ruptured UCL

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, kidtwentytwo said:

Not a great sign. 

So Roberts has 'cautious optimism', yet they don't back date the DL stint?   To me, it would seem at the very least he will be gone for the foreseeable future.  Of course I preface this is just speculation, but going off the above, for me best case will be rest with medication, with no throwing based on the doctor's recommendations, and hopefully 4 weeks or so should do it.

Just now, BigPapi44 said:

So Roberts has 'cautious optimism', yet they don't back date the DL stint?   To me, it would seem at the very least he will be gone for the foreseeable future.  Of course I preface this is just speculation, but going off the above, for me best case will be rest with medication, with no throwing based on the doctor's recommendations, and hopefully 4 weeks or so should do it.

I would sign on for 4 weeks right now

• Like 1

Flashbacks to last year with all the DL stints. Keuchel probably next. 

The Dodgers were cautiously optimistic with Seager too. 

Unfortunately this is probably fairly bad news for Kershaw.  Best case I think he is out for 2 or 3 weeks.  

I hope they let it heal and don't try to get him back out there too soon. 

2 hours ago, cs3 said:

Uh yes it is. There have been a whole bunch of if instances where a pitcher reports biceps soreness, and then when an MRI is finally done it turns out that the cause of the problem is actually a strained/ruptured UCL

Triceps and forearm can indicate a potential elbow issue.

Biceps?  That's shoulder.

Unrelated... isn't he a FA after this season? 

32 minutes ago, 96mnc said:

Triceps and forearm can indicate a potential elbow issue.

Biceps?  That's shoulder.

Unrelated... isn't he a FA after this season? 

I understand where the tendons are connected structurally, but there are still lots of cases where the pitcher initially reports discomfort or pain specifically in the biceps, then the MRI reveals UCL damage. AJ Puk comes immediately to mind as the most recent example:

https://amp.mlb.com/269305766-as-aj-puk-may-have-tommy-john-surgery.amp.html

Puk was shut down with biceps soreness last week, and the discomfort soon traveled to his forearm. An initial diagnosis by Dr. Doug Freedberg in Arizona led to a second opinion with Dr. James Andrews, who has advised ulnar collateral ligament repair surgery.

Point is, until MRI results are released we can't really rule out the possibility of TJ.

Edited by cs3
  • Like 3

I'm never drafting him again i bit on him this year after he was out a lengthy period the last 2 years, buyer beware

Another year. Another trip to the D.L.

No wonder he seemed not quite right.

I was going to offer some trades for Kershaw today but the thoughts in this thread regarding TJ surgery scare the beejeebus out of me. What are the odds? Any further insight available. 

39 minutes ago, cs3 said:

I understand where the tendons are connected structurally, but there are still lots of cases where the pitcher initially reports discomfort or pain specifically in the biceps, then the MRI reveals UCL damage. AJ Puk comes immediately to mind as the most recent example:

https://amp.mlb.com/269305766-as-aj-puk-may-have-tommy-john-surgery.amp.html

Point is, until MRI results are released we can't really rule out the possibility of TJ.

Agreed on wait until the mri.

And you did pick out a great example of biceps soreness being a harbinger of TJ.  I really can't remember any others though. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CrypTviLL said:

I was going to offer some trades for Kershaw today but the thoughts in this thread regarding TJ surgery scare the beejeebus out of me. What are the odds? Any further insight available. 

I think there won't be any relevant update until they the MRI. I remember a few different cases where the "bicep" was initially at least "announced" by the team that way, but still ended up elbow.  I am absolutely worried this can possibly be a TJS, I am a life long Kershaw owner in dynasty, I thought this year the velocity and command have been very un-kershaw like. Normally, pitchers with those same issue that aren't normal for them, they look right for injury. This could/most likely is something that he has been fighting all season. He is such a competitor I wouldn't be surprised if he thought he could work through whatever it felt like. All the command & velocity stuff typically come with the age and usage excuses, which might be relevant for Kersh at this stage of his career too, but it was just a different look and now I think we know more why. 

Edited by LarryDavid
  • Like 1

You all need to step off the ledge. This has nothing to do with Tommy John surgery but if you would prefer to think the sky is falling and his season is over, carry on.

1 minute ago, meh2 said:

You all need to step off the ledge. This has nothing to do with Tommy John surgery but if you would prefer to think the sky is falling and his season is over, carry on.

Thank you for your insight Dr meh

15 minutes ago, Junkie Cosmonaut said:

Thank you for your insight Dr meh

You're welcome. While it might not be enough for some on this forum, I do have some insight as I completed my doctorate in physical therapy in 2002 and run an outpatient orthopedic PT clinic. While I don't know the exact details of the AJ Puk example, I would assume that he was dealing with soreness in the muscle belly of the biceps just above the elbow. I am also assuming that Kershaw is dealing with shoulder soreness. I am aware of exactly zero cases of biceps tendonitis at the shoulder leading to TJS. If someone can show me one or show me that Puk was dealing with shoulder soreness prior to being diagnosed with a torn UCL,  I will step back my statement.

Edited by meh2
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

As a Dodger fan and realizing that this could be a lost season, I was actually thinking it could have been smart to trade him for top notch prospects because Clayton can opt out of his contract and become a FA after the season. Probably would have never happened despite the injury. But one thing is true at this point. Clayton now has track record of health issues to go with the inability to pitch well into October. His best years are in the past now. I would expect the team to exercize extreme caution with him going forward. If the Dodgers have any shot at the playoffs they need him healthy for the 2nd half. But by then they could be 12-15 games out. Crossing my fingers for him and his health in the future.