• Announcements

• Patrick Bateman

Check out the new Rotoworld Beta Site!   11/14/2018

Rotoworld has been the industry leader in fantasy news and analysis for years, but it was time for a much-needed facelift!  While our around-the-clock, comprehensive coverage will remain the same, the new Rotoworld design will be sleeker, easier to navigate, more video-friendly and will finally be mobile-optimized.    That’s right, you can finally stop pinching the screens on your phones to read our content!  Right now we’re in the beta phase of our launch, and it’s still a work-in-progress, but we’d love for you to check out our soon-to-be new digs, and let us know what you think: https://beta.rotoworld.com.    And then please use the Contact Us button to give us feedback!  
IlliniGuy76

Shohei Ohtani 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2018-11-28. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

One of the most interesting figures in the MLB this year.  How will teams use him?  Will you want your Ace pitcher out in the field mere hours after throwing 110 pitches?

One things for certain - he just told the Yankees.....

giphy.gif

Always a red flag for me when you see a guy who's afraid to play in the biggest markets. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, absknicks said:

Always a red flag for me when you see a guy who's afraid to play in the biggest markets. 

Why? Some guys aren't into the cameras in their face and the media circus.

11 minutes ago, absknicks said:

Why? If I was a professional athlete I'd rather play in a smaller market so that I can still go out and do normal things (for the most part). I leave near Toronto, and some of the players we've had here are like royalty... They go out and people flip their s---. I'd hate that.

13 minutes ago, absknicks said:

this, im not too worried

can yanks go after kevin Maitan now?

edit: also OP...he hasnt been even signed or had an MLB appearance....this might be the wrong section. 

Edited by jfazz23

Sorry, this thread is premature. Once he's added to an MLB team roster it will be reopened, or merged with the new thread that will undoubtedly be created on that auspicious occasion.

2 minutes ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

Yes! Ohtani signed with the Angels. As a diehard Angels fan, I'm over the moon. 

Nice addition for them, if Richards can stay healthy this makes them a contender

I love this move.  Pujols was killing the team last year -- now he can get days off when Ohtani isn't pitching and maybe be more productive in fewer PAs.  And the Angels rotation certainly needs him.

Good that he goes to an AL team. Should be able to DH a few times a week. Will be interesting to see how the situation shakes out, but now that he's picked a team there should be some clarity.

• Like 1

Damn unfair to a lot of teams to possibly have the two best players in baseball on the same squad. Should be fun to watch as a baseball fan.

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, wh3931110 said:

How will he work in fantasy? Will he be both a pitcher and a DH or what?

Platform-specific.  Discussed extensively in his MiLB thread, (last couple of pages).

Last update I heard was that CBS is going with the two different players option.

5 minutes ago, wh3931110 said:

How will he work in fantasy? Will he be both a pitcher and a DH or what?

CBS was saying they will likely have two Ohtanis, so be careful on draft day!

15 minutes ago, 2ndCitySox said:

CBS was saying they will likely have two Ohtanis, so be careful on draft day!

That's so dumb.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

I'm curious what Yahoo will do. 

Probably something that fantasy managers won't like. 

Edited by osb_tensor
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

Damn unfair to a lot of teams to possibly have the two best players in baseball on the same squad. Should be fun to watch as a baseball fan.

ummmmmm.....we are already crowning Ohtani as the 2nd bestplayer in baseball???

giphy.webp

Edited by jfazz23

I understand him wanting go to the the AL, be a DH probably easier than adding a 3rd transition like playing LF but the Angels have 100 million plus into Pujols for 4 more years and he DH'd 143 out of 147 games played last year, so its not like its an immediate opening.  

Yeah this isn't an easy fix fantasy wise because the software can't be easily changed so I see a lot of 2 Ohtani solutions for at least this year.  But that stuff should go over in the platforms thread.  Except to say Fantrax seems more on top of this than anyone else.

Angels have made major moves trading for and extending Justin Upton and apparently all in to get The Moose and now Ohtani.  If Garrett Richards and Shoemaker can both remain healthy their rotation is pretty decent now too if Ohtani can even half live up to the hype.  Hell they even signed Kevin Maitan after Atlanta had to give him us so they actually have at least one decent prospect down on the farm now.  Congrats to their front office.

But other than the funny Mike Trout tweet above I wonder WHY Ohtani decided on the Angels over other teams.  Was it that he loved LA but the Dodgers already had an ace and he wanted to be top dog?  He seems set to play some in the outfield but also has a DH option as well in the AL of course.  As of yesterday there were tweets that said he would end up in Seattle or San Diego.  I'll be interested in the details as they slowly leak.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory