IlliniGuy76

Shohei Ohtani 2018 Outlook

1 minute ago, parrothead said:

I understand him wanting go to the the AL, be a DH probably easier than adding a 3rd transition like playing LF but the Angels have 100 million plus into Pujols for 4 more years and he DH'd 143 out of 147 games played last year, so its not like its an immediate opening.  

i have a feeling the angels might treat pujols like the yankees did Arod, but  more extreme...meaning they might eat more than 1.5 years of his contract

i mean he had a 670 OPS!!!!! how the hell did he have 100 rbis?

1 minute ago, parrothead said:

and he DH'd 143 out of 147 games played last year, so its not like its an immediate opening.  

Yeah, to the tune of a 78 wRC+ and a minus 2.0 WAR.  He was hurting the team by playing so much.  Ohtani should get all the PAs that his hitting talent allow, and could make Pujols better in the process by giving him a breather.

• Like 1

Locking this until he's added to the active (25-man) roster. He has an ongoing MILB thread where he can be discussed in detail.

[ How embarrassing.  I forgot about the active roster rule.  Take things over to Ohtani's aforementioned  MiLB thread until he's officially on the 25-man. ]

A month ago he was going in the 9th or 10th round and now he's sitting on my waiver wire.  Don't really have any desire to pick him up either.

• Thanks 1

This is one of those guys I don't know what to make of. Is he more of a batter? More of a pitcher? When should he be drafted?

Will be DH'ing tomorrow and starting on Sunday, it sounds like.  Officially on the 25 man roster for LAA.

Have at it, boys. 

1 hour ago, Arrowhead said:

This is one of those guys I don't know what to make of. Is he more of a batter? More of a pitcher? When should he be drafted?

Definitely more of a pitcher.  Gave up a ton of earned runs this spring with peripherals that looked much better.  I'm benching him for his first game and hoping he was working kinks out and not pitching to win in the spring.

I'm more worried for the short-term than the long-term.  Hoping I don't end up having to cut other people to get the innings I need if he needs some time in the minors.  For his career, still feel really good about his elite credentials.

1 hour ago, Bill Blazejowski said:

A month ago he was going in the 9th or 10th round and now he's sitting on my waiver wire.  Don't really have any desire to pick him up either.

Depends on the league and bench depth, but I can't think of a format I wouldn't pick him up. Even if you are a hater, one good outing and suddenly you have huge trade bait.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Bill Blazejowski said:

He's on waivers?  I mean, I get he was pretty overhyped, but no way should he not be on a roster.

His average ADP was still 91.  How many top 100 draft picks get dropped before a game is played, barring injury or being sent to the minors?

Edited by 89Topps

49 minutes ago, bluefrogguy said:

one good outing and suddenly you have huge trade bait.

Exactly my plan

55 minutes ago, bluefrogguy said:

Even if you are a hater, one good outing and suddenly you have huge trade bait.

One good outing on the mound or at the plate?

This thread is going to confuse me, I can't already tell!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Arrowhead said:

Make no mistake, he's a pitcher. This hitting experiment will be lucky to last more than a yr IMO. Just something whoever signed him had to agree to in order to secure his services.

Its weird seeing him twice on my opponents team. He is very unique

Well looks like he can hit also. Damn you Otani owners, so jealous I don't own a pitcher/hitter hybrid!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, swfcdan said:

Well looks like he can hit also. Damn you Otani owners, so jealous I don't own a pitcher/hitter hybrid!

He has one hit....on the first day of the season 

Just now, Stickfig13 said:

So what you're saying is he should be inducted into the HOF right after the game? 

7 minutes ago, klove42 said:

So what you're saying is he should be inducted into the HOF right after the game? 

The other guy might have been. I was pointing out the insanity of saying your jealous of owners of Otani after one single. 

5 minutes ago, Stickfig13 said:

The other guy might have been. I was pointing out the insanity of saying your jealous of owners of Otani after one single. 

Haha I know. I was piggybacking off the insanity of 1 hit. 

14 minutes ago, Stickfig13 said:

He's batting 1.000!

I'm just jealous of not being able to own a hitter/pitcher hybrid who could help my team in both facets of the game. It's just unique.

And I think he'll become a really good pitcher in time, do expect a learning curve though so hoping that's when I can pounce.

2 minutes ago, swfcdan said:

He's batting 1.000!

I'm just jealous of not being able to own a hitter/pitcher hybrid who could help my team in both facets of the game. It's just unique.

And I think he'll become a really good pitcher in time, do expect a learning curve though so hoping that's when I can pounce.

He’s set up as two players in Yahoo, which deflates his value in fantasy. Real life is a very cool scenario.