• Announcements

• Patrick Bateman

Check out the new Rotoworld Beta Site!   11/14/2018

Rotoworld has been the industry leader in fantasy news and analysis for years, but it was time for a much-needed facelift!  While our around-the-clock, comprehensive coverage will remain the same, the new Rotoworld design will be sleeker, easier to navigate, more video-friendly and will finally be mobile-optimized.    That’s right, you can finally stop pinching the screens on your phones to read our content!  Right now we’re in the beta phase of our launch, and it’s still a work-in-progress, but we’d love for you to check out our soon-to-be new digs, and let us know what you think: https://beta.rotoworld.com.    And then please use the Contact Us button to give us feedback!  
IlliniGuy76

Shohei Ohtani 2018 Outlook

If I'm running the Angels he DHs the rest of this season and has TJ immediately after the season ends or LAA is eliminated.   Which means he likely misses all of 2019 but whatever.  They signed him knowing he had a torn ligament in his elbow (well worth it for the low cost).  It was just a matter of time...

And yes Tanaka has pitched through it but is a shell of who he was when he first came over.   His free agency is going to be very interesting. 

17 hours ago, XxxOilOverloadxxX said:

I have to give credit to Pedro Martinez. Early this week they did a video package on MLB Tonight of Ohtani and he said something is clearly wrong with him. He's pretty good if anyone has watched him as analyst.

I didn't like Pedro as a player because he was so good and seemed arrogant . But you nailed it. He calls it as he sees it. No sugar coating.

• Like 1

On 6/9/2018 at 3:10 AM, 96mnc said:

If I'm running the Angels he DHs the rest of this season and has TJ immediately after the season ends or LAA is eliminated.   Which means he likely misses all of 2019 but whatever.  They signed him knowing he had a torn ligament in his elbow (well worth it for the low cost).  It was just a matter of time...

And yes Tanaka has pitched through it but is a shell of who he was when he first came over.   His free agency is going to be very interesting. 

Interesting take, having him dh and opt to wait on the TJ surgery. He (Should) instantly be the hottest WW add out there if hes expected to get every day abs. 

Still owned in 97+% of leagues, I don't think you're going to have much luck finding him on the waiver wire. Staying on as a DH only is more of a consolation prize than an exciting add

Posted (edited)

Just get the TJ and get it over with. As a fantasy owner and for the angels, it would be best just bite the bullet now than walk on glass for seasons to come

Edited by Steelers72
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, PointsLeagueHero said:

Still owned in 97+% of leagues, I don't think you're going to have much luck finding him on the waiver wire. Staying on as a DH only is more of a consolation prize than an exciting add

38% ownership in Yahoo (as the batter). Only reason being he only has 115 ABs so far. You can bet your butt if word gets out he will be the everyday dh he will be much more than a consultation prize. 

On 6/9/2018 at 3:10 AM, 96mnc said:

thats-a-hell-of-an-idea.jpg

You can already feel the buzz and newly acquired demographic of the fanbase being sucked out of Angel Stadium.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bank said:

You can already feel the buzz and newly acquired demographic of the fanbase being sucked out of Angel Stadium.  

I could not disagree more.  Angels are 37-29, have a better performing staff than they've had in a while, and of course still have Trout.  And Ohtani may be back (even if only as a hitter).  I don't understand why people hate on the Angels fanbase so much.

• Like 2

[ This isn't the place to take shots at another team's fan base. ]

• Thanks 1

can he still bat?  DH surgery after the season or they are out it?  i would take that as a consolidation prize.

This is bad for baseball in general.  A one of a kind player that was creating buzz outside the MLB fan base and was popular beyond his team and had international support.  It's a bummer - 2020 is a long way away :(

• Like 2

Meh, one can't like the long-term prospects of Ohtani unless he goes under the knife.

28 minutes ago, steve9347 said:

Meh, one can't like the long-term prospects of Ohtani unless he goes under the knife.

i agree, IMO the question is whether it's now or at the end of the angels season.

if it's now, it kills his fantasy value.

if it's at the end of the season, and as was suggested earlier, he bats for the rest of the season, that's a whole different outlook for 2018. one that maintains fantasy value, to some degree.

So as far as pitching value, is his season basically done? Since yahoo offers only pitcher or batter, pitcher player is droppable?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, osb_tensor said:

i agree, IMO the question is whether it's now or at the end of the angels season.

if it's now, it kills his fantasy value.

if it's at the end of the season, and as was suggested earlier, he bats for the rest of the season, that's a whole different outlook for 2018. one that maintains fantasy value, to some degree.

Then he bats DH almost every day? Would be interesting to see if his success continues the more looks pitchers get at him.

Edited by tonycpsu
Platform derail removed. There's a thread for platform discussion elsewhere.
  • Haha 1

If he ends up staying on and hitting ROS that’s a great lottery ticket to have to finish the season. About to stash him as a batter in my league.

It's getting difficult to hold on to this guy .. need room with all the DL spots filled .. thoughts on his rest of season as a pitcher at this point? 

He’s not pitching again this year, but he could continue playing as an everyday hitter. Which would be huge. Won’t know anything till his next checkup in 3 weeks 

On 6/8/2018 at 4:34 PM, The Waker said:

The dude has shown some of the best stuff in the game this year.  TJ on a young pitcher isn't exactly uncommon these days.

Not disputing that but what will he look like when he returns?

Just now, IDGAFOS said:

Not disputing that but what will he look like when he returns?

Probably just fine. TJ returners usually do pretty well. Skaggs and Heaney on his own team as well as I believe Tropeano have all returned to relative form. I’m not saying these guys are studs... but they weren’t studs before either. TJs, particularly for young pitchers, doesn’t bug me too much outside of developmental reasons. It’s just waiting the 18 months.

If he gets TJS now we’re taking 2020. And I think he should, as frustrating as that is. 

• Like 2