• Announcements

• Patrick Bateman

Check out the new Rotoworld Beta Site!   11/14/2018

Rotoworld has been the industry leader in fantasy news and analysis for years, but it was time for a much-needed facelift!  While our around-the-clock, comprehensive coverage will remain the same, the new Rotoworld design will be sleeker, easier to navigate, more video-friendly and will finally be mobile-optimized.    That’s right, you can finally stop pinching the screens on your phones to read our content!  Right now we’re in the beta phase of our launch, and it’s still a work-in-progress, but we’d love for you to check out our soon-to-be new digs, and let us know what you think: https://beta.rotoworld.com.    And then please use the Contact Us button to give us feedback!  
IlliniGuy76

Shohei Ohtani 2018 Outlook

1 hour ago, knuckleheads said:

If Yahoo merges Ohtani into one player they will create some real conflict issues in some keeper leagues.   For example,  If I own the hitter and want to keep him, while someone else owns the pitcher and wants to keep him then what?  Yahoo might very well make this change in the future but determining who get's him will be problematic in some cases.

I've questioned this very thing myself, and it's going to put each league in a mess to determine which owner gets the player.

It seems to me that's going to be the best solution long-term. Rip the band-aid off this season and get it right going forward. 

I know not every league works this way but in my league you have to draft the player in order to keep them. I feel like the batter Ohtani went drafted in a majority of leagues so it wouldn't affect as many people as you'd think.

40 minutes ago, collucho said:

I know not every league works this way but in my league you have to draft the player in order to keep them. I feel like the batter Ohtani went drafted in a majority of leagues so it wouldn't affect as many people as you'd think.

I would think it's just the opposite.  Very few leagues are going to have your draft requirement.  

• Like 2

Wow.  I'm amazed there would be leagues where no one drafted him given his pedigree and the expectation he would start the season in the majors or be there shortly into the year.  That is an amazing overreaction to spring training stats.

For Yahoo, I read the post on page 22 of this thread as saying he will lose the DL designation when he comes off the DL.  

On 6/30/2018 at 2:48 AM, St3v3k4hn said:

For what its worth, I asked Yahoo customer care how they were going to deal with this. They said “both” Ohtanis stay on the DL until they both can play. In other words, when Ohtani comes back as a hitter, you can take put him in your lineup, and you will get the stats he accrues, even tho technically he will still be on the DL. Confusing I know, but if thats really how they do it it means you can play Ohtani the hitter as soon as he becomes active and still keep Ohtani the pitcher on the DL...

The only reason Ohtani can't play today from a rules perspective is because he is on the DL.  Once he is no longer on the DL, both the pitcher and hitter can be played at any time by the Angels.  The fact that the Angels will choose not to have him pitch doesn't mean he can't play from an eligibility standpoint.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On ‎7‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 2:27 PM, cs3 said:

How did keeping Reyes work out?

Haha are you sure that's the comp you want to use?

Reyes and Ohtani are both prodigious 23 year olds with massive upside who deserve patience from owners in dynasty leagues.

Edited by tekashi26ix
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, tekashi26ix said:

Reyes and Ohtani are both prodigious 23 year olds with massive upside who deserve patience from owners in dynasty leagues.

I own both and you would have to pry them from my cold dead hands. Or offer me a top 50 current year player haha. Point is - those kind of guys with that kind of upside are the exact long plays I look for in dynasty - no different than a top 10 prospect or something. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, knuckleheads said:

If Yahoo merges Ohtani into one player they will create some real conflict issues in some keeper leagues.   For example,  If I own the hitter and want to keep him, while someone else owns the pitcher and wants to keep him then what?  Yahoo might very well make this change in the future but determining who get's him will be problematic in some cases.

In my leagues we made a point to address that exact scenario before the draft. We said that whichever version of Ohtani cost more in auction (or was drafted first in snakes) would be the version that retained full keeper rights in the event he is merged into 1 player. The funny thing is he was not even drafted as a hitter in my 3 biggest keepers.

3 hours ago, tekashi26ix said:

Reyes and Ohtani are both prodigious 23 year olds with massive upside who deserve patience from owners in dynasty leagues

I 100% agree with that.

But his value in a full on dynasty is much much different than a keeper league where his price (or draft round) escalates each year, and where he likely is going to burn a DL slot for at least one full season. He could end up becoming very costly before he's ever ready to pitch again.

For example he was drafted in the 2nd rd and the 4th rd of my two snake keepers, and I imagine he went well before his ADP in most other keeper leagues as well. Do people really want to give up that early of a pick to keep him when hes missing a year? And then burn an even earlier pick when hes ready to pitch again? Those are tough questions.

In no-cost dynasty you can just stash him under the tree indefinitely then unwrap him whenever Christmas comes.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, collucho said:

Except 99% of leagues don't operate like that. 

Posted (edited)

Seems like Yahoo owners of the SP Ohtani are going to have dead weight on their rosters rest of the season.

Edited by Ragnaroker

1 hour ago, Ragnaroker said:

Seems like Yahoo owners of the SP Ohtani are going to have dead weight on their rosters rest of the season.

This is what i was speculating would happen last page... in a keeper or dynasty you have to be willing to have the pitcher version in an active spot all of this and next season,  provided he gets TJ. That's a steep cost for upside

11 minutes ago, WahooManiac said:

This is what i was speculating would happen last page... in a keeper or dynasty you have to be willing to have the pitcher version in an active spot all of this and next season,  provided he gets TJ. That's a steep cost for upside

Ugh this sucks. Time to trade him to a rebuilder for whatever scraps are being offered I guess

Sounds like he damn near broke fantasy baseball. 

2 minutes ago, cs3 said:

Ugh this sucks. Time to trade him to a rebuilder for whatever scraps are being offered I guess

As its so unprecedented,  i don't know how to really value him in long term leagues.  If you drop him outright,  it becomes a game of roster chicken next year.  How long does he sit out there before someone is willing to punt a spot for him?  In my league, i really can't call it.  

And the worst thing is, we still don't know for certain that he's even getting TJ, right? Such an annoying spot to be in.

In the 2 keepers I own him in he would be plucked off waivers immediately, and I'd assume a max FAAB bid. Not only are there already teams selling and rebuilding, but even a couple contenders are likely to be willing to gamble and burn that roster spot.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, cs3 said:

And the worst thing is, we still don't know for certain that he's even getting TJ, right? Such an annoying spot to be in.

In the 2 keepers I own him in he would be plucked off waivers immediately, and I'd assume a max FAAB bid. Not only are there already teams selling and rebuilding, but even a couple contenders are likely to be willing to gamble and burn that roster spot.

Right,  and every keeper is diff  etc... but if you're in one with less bench spots,  or one where you only keep a few players.... that's where valuations get murky.  

Or if anyone took my preseason Yahoo workaround,  and he's now one entity,  that REALLY blows.  You're stuck with the bad half if you want the producing half.  Lol what a mess,  this is fun

Edited by WahooManiac

It'd be great if Yahoo would at least give the pitcher version NA status. 

2 hours ago, einstein2u said:

Have no reason but I feel he is going to get exposed. 

I think the opposite...

54 minutes ago, cs3 said:

It'd be great if Yahoo would at least give the pitcher version NA status. 

They won't. They completely botched Ohtani. 

We all honestly should complain to them so that they know they botched it, especially with this DL issue. We might be overestimating how much they are aware of how poor of a decision they made.

In the case that Ohtani becomes just a hitter ...ironically much like Babe Ruth...hmm? Yahoo really messed Ohtani up for Dynasty leagues.