IlliniGuy76

Shohei Ohtani 2018 Outlook

While I'd be kind of shocked to see it happen, I suppose there's a chance that the Angels would make Ohtani a full time hitter if he just rakes the rest of the year, but he's got to absolutely mash for them to force that kind of decision.  I'm talking top-20 hitter mashing the rest of the way, and then they have a decision to make.

I still believe the most likely scenario involves him getting TJS as soon as they're eliminated from the playoff picture to allow him as much time as possible to return next year.  He might get a bit of time in ST, spends a good bit of April rehabbing, and hits the ground running as a hitter in May.

I don't think he pitches again until a few stints out of the bullpen maybe sometime late next year, and possibly doesn't pitch at all in 2019 before returning to the mound in 2020.

If he truly mashes for the rest of this year and all of 2019, it's plausible the Angels punt the starter/hitter combo and just have him focus on hitting.  Not likely, though, but it'll be interesting to see how it all plays out.

9 minutes ago, JFS179 said:

If he truly mashes for the rest of this year and all of 2019, it's plausible the Angels punt the starter/hitter combo and just have him focus on hitting.  Not likely, though, but it'll be interesting to see how it all plays out.

We also have to remember that Ohtani will have somewhat of a say in this. He's made it very clear he wants and intends on continuing to hit and pitch. I'm not sure if they could even convince him to give up pitching entirely, outside of saying "Hey, you're done pitching and that's the way it is". 

But considering they probably don't want to strain their relationship with him, I doubt that's the route that is taken. 

2 hours ago, JFS179 said:

While I'd be kind of shocked to see it happen, I suppose there's a chance that the Angels would make Ohtani a full time hitter if he just rakes the rest of the year, but he's got to absolutely mash for them to force that kind of decision.  I'm talking top-20 hitter mashing the rest of the way, and then they have a decision to make.

I still believe the most likely scenario involves him getting TJS as soon as they're eliminated from the playoff picture to allow him as much time as possible to return next year.  He might get a bit of time in ST, spends a good bit of April rehabbing, and hits the ground running as a hitter in May.

I don't think he pitches again until a few stints out of the bullpen maybe sometime late next year, and possibly doesn't pitch at all in 2019 before returning to the mound in 2020.

Maybe if he rakes he still gets TJ and they make him a reliever since this may give his weeks a more natural flow than being a starter while also hitting.  But I think the DH complicates that.  

Posted (edited)
On ‎7‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 7:39 AM, knuckleheads said:

If Yahoo merges Ohtani into one player they will create some real conflict issues in some keeper leagues.   For example,  If I own the hitter and want to keep him, while someone else owns the pitcher and wants to keep him then what?  Yahoo might very well make this change in the future but determining who get's him will be problematic in some cases.

Except Yahoo should never divided the players like this.... That's what caused the problems in the first place.

Further, If he continues to hit, there is almost 0 chance Angels will ever risk him pitch seriously again.

Edited by DJSatane

53 minutes ago, DJSatane said:

Except Yahoo should never divided the players like this.... That's what caused the problems in the first place.

Further, If he continues to hit, there is almost 0 chance Angels will ever risk him pitch seriously again.

Yeah, I think he will only be keeper worthy for the vast majority of the leagues one way or the other.  I imagine if he's slated to pitch in the spring again he won't be keeper worthy as a hitter.  If he's not slated to pitch then he might be as a hitter but not as a pitcher.

However, if there are some dynasty type leagues involved there may be some conflicts involved still.  They may have to resolve their issues as a league.   That is assuming Yahoo merges them into a single player, as we all seem to think they will.  Maybe they just don't even after this issue...  

On 7/3/2018 at 9:02 PM, Ragnaroker said:

We all honestly should complain to them so that they know they botched it, especially with this DL issue. We might be overestimating how much they are aware of how poor of a decision they made.

They botched things by splitting the player but not on the DL issue.  DL eligibility should be tied to the player being on the DL in real life.  If he isn't on the DL, then he shouldn't be DL eligible in fantasy.  As far as impact on owners, Yahoo was damned if they do and damned if they don't on the DL issue - either giving people a freebie DL spot for someone not eligible or having the pitcher properly lose DL status despite being shut down for the year. 

Problems in Yahoo leagues all stem from the botched decision to split which is indefensible but I'd defend them on the DL issue as they made the better of the two bad choices on that item.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, osb_tensor said:

“Ohtani is one person in real life, but we’re going to split him into two people in fantasy, then treat him as if he’s one“ 

Gotta love those geniuses at Yahoo.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

Hoping for a huge series from him now that he's back at home. Seems like all his good games as a batter are at home.

Posted (edited)

Per Yahoo division of Ohtani, every pitcher at the very least in NL league should be divided into pitcher and batter as well. In fact all players on baseball roster can be called to play any position by manager thus Yahoo should either have them all batter/pitcher or allow P position to be able to be placed in UTIL hitter slots. As an example NFL yahoo fantasy players are able to allocate any stats from the game, for example if QB throws and catches his own TD, or kicker passes a td etc....

Yahoo really botched Ohtani situation.

Edited by DJSatane

Lighten up, man.  Learn to look on the bright side from time to time, Satane.

1 hour ago, BlueJaysIn2030 said:

Will he play every day,?

No. He'll likely sit vs  lefties quite often. Also, Pujols can't physically handle playing 1B everyday. 

3 minutes ago, Red Sox Nation said:

No. He'll likely sit vs  lefties quite often. Also, Pujols can't physically handle playing 1B everyday. 

Hmm... wondering what to do with him in a dynasty. The batting version of him is in the WW, but not really sure if it's worth it. 

What are other people doing? Maybe list up league settings and what not.

On 7/9/2018 at 6:56 AM, BlueJaysIn2030 said:

Hmm... wondering what to do with him in a dynasty. The batting version of him is in the WW, but not really sure if it's worth it. 

What are other people doing? Maybe list up league settings and what not.

Now that he's getting fairly regular atbats he should absolutely be owned in the vast majority of leagues. Certainly in all keepers/dynasties. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, cs3 said:

Now that he's getting fairly regular atbats he should absolutely be owned in the vast majority of leagues. Certainly in all keepers/dynasties. 

Not the Pitcher version of him on Yahoo which occupies full player slot even though he will likely never pitch again this season.

Posted (edited)

He was asking about the batter version.

But even the pitcher version should probably be owned in most keepers. A team thats already out of it could afford to stash a player like that. If you're going for it this year, then ya, I could understand dropping him if you have no luck trying to trade him

Edited by cs3

how do we knock some sense into yahoo with this Ohtani fiasco. why do we have 2 Ohtani's with 2 different positions with only 1 DL status. i feel like that should be a thread of its own. 

Why do we have 2 Ohtanis to begin with. There were pitchers in the past that sometimes ended up DHing and obviously there are pitchers who bat on regular basis on days they pitch in NL I DONT SEE THEM HAVING BATTER CLONE, come on yahoo wake t f up

• Like 1

As noted earlier, he isn’t going to play every day. He only got 17 ABs in the last week; thats pretty low - about 1/2 as many ABs as some of the guys on my roster. It looks like he will sit quite a bit, and pinch hit quite a bit as well (but I bench him when he doesn’t start, so those pinch hit HRs don’t help me). Unless he can learn to play 1B (please please please!), he’s gonna be a hard guy to roster (at least in shallow leagues...)

I guess then we will know if he will have a shot for pitching this season again at all or not.

2 hours ago, DJSatane said:

I guess then we will know if he will have a shot for pitching this season again at all or not.

Yes, that's kind of the entire point of the evaluation.

• Like 1