• Announcements

• Patrick Bateman

Check out the new Rotoworld Beta Site!   11/14/2018

Rotoworld has been the industry leader in fantasy news and analysis for years, but it was time for a much-needed facelift!  While our around-the-clock, comprehensive coverage will remain the same, the new Rotoworld design will be sleeker, easier to navigate, more video-friendly and will finally be mobile-optimized.    That’s right, you can finally stop pinching the screens on your phones to read our content!  Right now we’re in the beta phase of our launch, and it’s still a work-in-progress, but we’d love for you to check out our soon-to-be new digs, and let us know what you think: https://beta.rotoworld.com.    And then please use the Contact Us button to give us feedback!  
IlliniGuy76

Shohei Ohtani 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2018-11-28. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

Not sure what do with him.  We decided in the league I'm in, that he can be used as a pitcher or hitter.  But the decision has to be made weekly.  I'm thinking for 2 start weeks I'll use him as a pitcher, otherwise a hitter.  I don't get pitching stats while he's in my lineup as a hitter and vice versa.

14 minutes ago, Stickfig13 said:

He’s set up as two players in Yahoo, which deflates his value in fantasy. Real life is a very cool scenario.

Or just don't play on Yahoo. In the 2 daily leagues im in he can be switched around each day, could be so useful if he can actually hit a bit.

24 minutes ago, murraygd13 said:

Not sure what do with him.  We decided in the league I'm in, that he can be used as a pitcher or hitter.  But the decision has to be made weekly.  I'm thinking for 2 start weeks I'll use him as a pitcher, otherwise a hitter.  I don't get pitching stats while he's in my lineup as a hitter and vice versa.

Doubt he's worth it as a hitter, I'd recommend keeping him in the pitching slot at all times until he's shown something that suggests otherwise.

3 minutes ago, molski said:

anyone starting him today?

Yes, go Ohtani, just don’t give Khris Davis anything good to hit and he should do fine

[ Use the game day thread, guys. ]

He never really had a good feel for his slider in this game either. Can't wait to see him when he's got everything working

• Like 4

Was super happy to see that 0.67 WHIP and W after his spring training.  With his skills and at his age, I'm hoping I got a discount on a long-term keeper.

Looked so nasty out there yesterday. Some of those pitches were impossible to hit. I'm sure there was a pressure on him in his first start after his highly scrutinized spring. I think he has a nice future ahead of him as a pitcher. No idea yet about his future as a batter, but from a fantasy standpoint I don't think he will be valuable as a batter especially in Yahoo leagues. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, klove42 said:

Looked so nasty out there yesterday. Some of those pitches were impossible to hit. I'm sure there was a pressure on him in his first start after his highly scrutinized spring. I think he has a nice future ahead of him as a pitcher. No idea yet about his future as a batter, but from a fantasy standpoint I don't think he will be valuable as a batter especially in Yahoo leagues. 

I couldn't have been happier with the start. I watched the archive of the game today at work, and his stuff is downright absurd. The only pitch that hurt him was the HR ball, but the rest of the game the A's looked hopeless against him. 

I'm also not convinced that the bat is worth writing off yet. While I think Yahoo's (terrible) decision to split him into two players makes the hitting version of Ohtani alone worthless, if your league has provisions to where he's one player or you're using nearly any other platform, I think there's potential. Obviously this is just speculation, but I'm not ready to completely jump off the hitting bandwagon. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, adifazio27 said:

I couldn't have been happier with the start. I watched the archive of the game today at work, and his stuff is downright absurd. The only pitch that hurt him was the HR ball, but the rest of the game the A's looked hopeless against him. 

I'm also not convinced that the bat is worth writing off yet. While I think Yahoo's (terrible) decision to split him into two players makes the hitting version of Ohtani alone worthless, if your league has provisions to where he's one player or you're using nearly any other platform, I think there's potential. Obviously this is just speculation, but I'm not ready to completely jump off the hitting bandwagon. 

I agree. I think its more just the yahoo platform really makes it impossible to own him just as a hitter. On ESPN or other platforms, I think he can be very valuable to have especially if he keeps pitching how he did yesterday even if he is just an okay hitter. 

28 minutes ago, klove42 said:

I agree. I think its more just the yahoo platform really makes it impossible to own him just as a hitter. On ESPN or other platforms, I think he can be very valuable to have especially if he keeps pitching how he did yesterday even if he is just an okay hitter. 

Exactly. With a split version of Ohtani the hitter, you get a guy who hits 2-3 times a week, max. Not exactly worth keeping a spot for unless you're in a crazy deep league. 

In a situation where you can roster both with no penalty, or an ESPN/CBS/anywhere else setup where he's basically a dual eligibility player, I can definitely see him holding value as a guy you throw in the UTIL spot for a possible power boost on the days that he hits. 

I think at the least yesterday shows that his disappointing Spring training meant nothing.  Those videos are filthy.

Posted (edited)

Fastball and splitter already look like ++ pitches. That slider looks pretty iffy though. He hung a LOT of them yesterday and if that continues he won't get away with once people get more familiar with his repertoire. If he can find a + third pitch to complement the fast/splitter (easier said than done) he looks like a future ace, IMO. 

Edited by absknicks

49 minutes ago, The Waker said:

I think at the least yesterday shows that his disappointing Spring training meant nothing.  Those videos are filthy.

I agree. Pitchers and Hitters are usually just trying to build up strength or focus on different pitches/hitting approaches. Only thing that scares me is if a pitcher's control really isn't there or a hitter is K'ing a ton. 

51 minutes ago, absknicks said:

Fastball and splitter already look like ++ pitches. That slider looks pretty iffy though. He hung a LOT of them yesterday and if that continues he won't get away with once people get more familiar with his repertoire. If he can find a + third pitch to complement the fast/splitter (easier said than done) he looks like a future ace, IMO. 

His slider is a plus pitch when it's on. Crazy movement on it. Looks like he didn't really get a good feel for it in his outing yesterday, with everything floating up and badly missing where his catcher was constantly setting up.

2 minutes ago, Blood Brother said:

His slider is a plus pitch when it's on. Crazy movement on it. Looks like he didn't really get a good feel for it in his outing yesterday, with everything floating up and badly missing where his catcher was constantly setting up.

Agreed.  I've seen nice film on it but he didn't have it under control yesterday at all.  Will be watching for that in his next outing for sure.

His stuff is off the charts. Looked like he had a Syndergaard fastball, Kluber slurve, and Tanaka splitter at his disposal. Very encouraging outing. Hitting 100 should alleviate many of the injury concerns. At this point owners should be satisfied with what they got.

On 3/29/2018 at 2:19 PM, murraygd13 said:

I don't think he's startable as a hitter in weekly leagues.  I would start him as a SP every week, regardless of how many starts he's scheduled for.

On 3/28/2018 at 5:26 PM, kidtwentytwo said:

Not sure how well this will end 

Going to revise this.  I think it'll end fairly well.  ROY if he stays healthy.  

• Like 3